New Ibanez Maik Weichter sig

• Thread starter Leuka
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albi

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought I put this

on it, but maybe I just let the red knob stay...

Why aren't there any white (not the aged/creme-colored ones) Fender-style knobs with black numbers available? I only see these with golden colored numbers normally. Just wondering...

There we go
Amazon.com: (MADE IN JAPAN)High Quality Strat Knob White (BlackLetter) switcknob arm set inch: Musical Instruments

I was thinking about something like this... :metal:
2ep3fr6.jpg

Buffnuggler

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought I put this

421PA1t.jpg

on it, but maybe I just let the red knob stay...

Why aren't there any white (not the aged/creme-colored ones) Fender-style knobs with black numbers available? I only see these with golden colored numbers normally. Just wondering...

yeah, i hated the red knob at first, but after watching the hype video i posted and seeing his reasoning for it, as hilarious as it is, i think i'll just have to keep it. i think it would've looked better overall if it simply matched the pickups, the whole colored hardware "Becker" look doesn't translate that well to flamed/quilt bodies (Ryan Knight of BDM's LACS being an exception!) and especially on this guitar where it just sticks out like a sore thumb on an otherwise well chosen color scheme.

but i'm planning on keeping it, i think it is one of those things that is going to look way better in person when you are actually playing it.

looks like there is still 1 more of these guitars available, still a pretty fast sell all things considered, with no real promotion, no announcement from ibanez, and the fact that Heaven Shall Burn is hardly a "guitar" band.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
I thought the red knob was a killswitch like buckethead has on his LP's. Slightly dissapointed it's just a volume knob.

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
Love the band, think the sig looks great... always interesting when it's not just another black Ibby.

Skullet

Reaction score
Sadly i need to phone impericon and cancel my order and get a refund. Damm priorities!

Albi

Reaction score
Who would've thought this guy of all guys would have one of the more unique and better looking signature Ibanez's?
+1
Ibanez has never made a reverse headstock Saber, save LACS models.
Same goes for stock EMGs.
Until a couple of years ago, fixed bridge Sabers were pretty rare, and they came only with shorter scale (SF and SC models).

Congrats to Maik for taking his chance to design an outstanding axe.
I knew i had to get it from the very first instant I saw it :)

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
I don't mind the volume knob color as much as its location...wish they would put the volume more out of the way.

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
Im surprised this exists cause I havent heard about this band in literally 5+ years... theres no way theyre at the peak of their popularity (which was never really that much) unless I have literally no idea whats going on.

Buffnuggler

Reaction score
Actually Heaven Shall Burn just released an album in 2013

and it was probably their second best! even has a blind guardian cover. i agree that i was shocked to see this guitar exist.

i'm sort of figuring that their guitarist pushed to have this run. while i understand why Ibanez reciprocated, and HSB is a pretty well known band, obviously Ibanez has many other bigger artists they could've done this with. also figure in the run size, that it was announced/sold without any assistance from Ibanez, and the relatively low price considering how spec'd out it is (we'll see about the actual quality), it seems more like just a cool thing that the band wanted to do instead of Ibanez really viewing it as any sort of opportunity. unless they just thought he designed a really cool sig. in any case, nice to see it sell quickly because it is a unique guitar from them! i'd love to see this idea (about a 30 run of an LACS guitar) applied to some of their really high end ones, but who knows. as far as i can tell, this year has also been a big year of J Custom variety, there were some pretty cool 1 offs like the Aurora that reminded me of times before every J custom looked identical. personally, i'd like to see some LACS releases follow suit like the PWM100 and just do limited runs with custom shop quality.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
Im surprised this exists cause I havent heard about this band in literally 5+ years... theres no way theyre at the peak of their popularity (which was never really that much) unless I have literally no idea whats going on.
Well, just because they're not popular in the US doesn't mean they are not popular anywhere else. They draw thousands of kids here in Germany and often headline or co-headline the big Euro festivals. I don't know if you're living in a bit of a bubble, but Europe and Germany especially have a huge Metal scene.

Making a limited run of 30 pieces for the guy really is not such a crazy thing to do for the German Ibanez distributor. I think they will be able to find 30 Heaven Shall Burn fans who are guitarists and into buying this guitar.

Buffnuggler

Reaction score
Well, just because they're not popular in the US doesn't mean they are not popular anywhere else. They draw thousands of kids here in Germany and often headline or co-headline the big Euro festivals. I don't know if you're living in a bit of a bubble, but Europe and Germany especially have a huge Metal scene.

Making a limited run of 30 pieces for the guy really is not such a crazy thing to do for the German Ibanez distributor. I think they will be able to find 30 Heaven Shall Burn fans who are guitarists and into buying this guitar.

this is definitely true, and HSB is awesome, but I'll admit I was still pretty shocked when this sig popped up on SS for the reasons I mentioned in my last post. out of all the fantastic guitarists in Europe (and Maik is fantastic too) I was surprised this was the sig choice, but I guess that's the beauty of a small production run! if you had asked me to guess 50 European guitarists though who I thought might get a signature Ibanez Maik still probably wouldn't be one of them.

I'm glad he was though, because it's a beautiful guitar and clearly they had no problem selling 30 since it is already gone!

Makes me wonder why a band like Protest the Hero hasn't done something of the sort, because you know they could sell 30 of Luke Hoskin's LACS guitar, probably even at a custom shop price!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Makes me wonder why a band like Protest the Hero hasn't done something of the sort, because you know they could sell 30 of Luke Hoskin's LACS guitar, probably even at a custom shop price!

It's up to the distributor, not the band.

Buffnuggler

Reaction score
It's up to the distributor, not the band.

ah ok, ty for the info, i thought maybe there could've been something more intricate at work in the case of this guitar, very cool collaboration to see though regardless! i've never thought of HSB as a "guitar band" but they have some excellent albums.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly think this is a POS.
Meh pups, bleah knob, silly bridge...I wonder if it's even worth to buy and mod it...as there are better options and for that price you'll be really lucky to get a good figure on the top like the one in the pic.

And...Ibanez has much mooooooooooaaaaaar better players deserving a signature.
Honestly...bah...I'm so perplexed by this guitar.

Meh pickups...yeah, I've been a bit too harsh with that.
And you're totally on point with your observation.

I'm a fan of signatures and keeping them like they are.
I would never purchase a sig to mod it, as you can get better results with other guitars without adding the premium cost of buying a sig.
This 2nd tier sig leaves me disappointed in all the possible ways, but yeah, it's mostly me and my opinion.

This could be a really good series guitar, but to me it looks like a bad signature

Being a cheap guitar mostly.
Ibanez on the € 600 range are not the best guitars around.
Consider that being a "sig" makes it cost a 10-15% more, you don't get an instrument that has quality all over it.
Not the built quality I expect from a sig, and maybe even lower quality than the cheap qualities of sigs (like the JS1000, the M80M, the Egen 12 and so on).
Obviously that's just my personal opinion, but to me it doesn't look a good investment for that price range, even more if you're going to mod pups.
For € 600 you can get some Schecter, LTD or Jackson that have more bang for bucks than this guitar.
Disclaimer: I am a huge Ibanez fanboy.

DIG-A-HOLE.gif

Jeeeeez. Dude, you should really just take the hint when people point out that your "opinions" are totally wrong (not even subjective, just plain wrong :lol:), you do not keep re-stating the same thing in a different form. :lol: It's clear you're both misinformed and very opinionated, but repeating your opinion like a parrot isn't going to suddenly make you right. :2c:

On topic though, it's not an bad-looking sig. I've seen other Ibanez I prefer but it's not bad. I must be out of the loop (or not listening to whatever genre they're from) as I've never even heard of the band until this thread. :lol: :shrug: Specs aren't bad though, I'm not surprised they sold out quickly as I'm sure that set of specifications appeals to a lot of Saber lovers out there. :agreed:

Latest posts

')