New Ibanez Multiscale RG's

eightsixboy

あなたのお母さんを犯さ
Reaction score
I played a RGMS7 last night for the second time, they feel like cheap guitars. Not overly impressed.

Also as already noted by some people the parallel fret at the 12th doesn't feel right, it makes the first few frets extremely uncomfortable. It really should be around the 9th or 10th fret.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Izalith

Reaction score
I played a RGMS7 last night for the second time, they feel like cheap guitars. Not overly impressed.

Also as already noted by some people the parallel fret at the 12th doesn't feel right, it makes the first few frets extremely uncomfortable. It really should be around the 9th or 10th fret.

I have the same issue with the RGIM8MH. A basic F minor 7 or 9th(with the root on the low E string) at the 1 fret was a bitch to nail after playing that chord for years without an issue on non-fanfret guitars.

You kinda just have to give up on chords between frets 1-3 and then start playing those from the low B-string.

I had the RG8 and I missed the easy chord work with those straight frets. 8-strings are weird. You either get a multiscale to get playable high strings(and tight low strings) or non-multiscales to get playable chords.

penguin_316

Reaction score
I just bought a rgms7 the other night from a Houston guitar center. Having owned several multi scale guitars many of which were on the high end of things:Mayones zf 7, Fanned Skerv 7, Oni 8 multi scale, Ormsby Goliath 7, Agile 8 fanned and now the Ibby RGMS7.

The pickups for cleans are ok, nothing to write home about. The distorted tones I was getting through a 6505+ combo amp were horrible, but I’m not so sure that amp was working properly(insane hiss, possible bad tubes).

Anyway, I plan to fully rework the instrument, new pickups, locking tuners, possibly strip the paint and add a copper top or something.

The guitar was $500 straight up, that’s amazing. Felt quite solid and had decent construction. Fix a few issues and your going to have a beastly guitar that will be undecernable in a mix from a a high end model. The fretwork on mine was excellent as far at the edges, but they aren’t stainless steel and will need to be polished to avoid string drag.

Final verdict, it’s $500...fix a few things and profit.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
IMG_1420.JPG IMG_1422.JPG CE5BE12F-415F-42CF-9D18-BB1EEE886F19.jpg
Randomly found an Axion Label RGD71ALMS at the local Guitar Center... I am now officially in love :D This was one of those instruments where you suddenly realize "I don't normally play this well!" As much as I disliked the RGIF8 I tried before, this guitar was completely the opposite. So easy to play. If I had the money, I would've walked out with it. If there was an 8-string version, I'd be seriously considering it. I suspect the less extreme fan made a part of the difference, which tells me I'd probably not like the RGMS8 (but probably would the Aristides 080s)... but damn, this guitar was a keeper.

lewis

Reaction score
View attachment 70069 View attachment 70070 View attachment 70071
Randomly found an Axion Label RGD71ALMS at the local Guitar Center... I am now officially in love :D This was one of those instruments where you suddenly realize "I don't normally play this well!" As much as I disliked the RGIF8 I tried before, this guitar was completely the opposite. So easy to play. If I had the money, I would've walked out with it. If there was an 8-string version, I'd be seriously considering it. I suspect the less extreme fan made a part of the difference, which tells me I'd probably not like the RGMS8 (but probably would the Aristides 080s)... but damn, this guitar was a keeper.

FYi just be really careful with the finish on those. They are quite thin and will crack/break quite easy.
Also, a heads up, add some more wood/glue to the strap button holes.
A mate brought one of these brand new recently, and after one show the strap button had ripped out too easily, breaking the wood and finish directly around the area on the horn.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
FYi just be really careful with the finish on those. They are quite thin and will crack/break quite easy.
Also, a heads up, add some more wood/glue to the strap button holes.
A mate brought one of these brand new recently, and after one show the strap button had ripped out too easily, breaking the wood and finish directly around the area on the horn.

I didn't buy it (someone did the next day tho!) but if I ever do I'll keep it in mind :)

metaljohn

SS's Only Dick Butt
Reaction score
View attachment 70069 View attachment 70070 View attachment 70071

I bought one of these from Sam Ash when they first came out. Its definitely one of the best guitars I've played. I plan on getting the 6 string version later this year.

Latest posts

')