New Ibanez Premium with Wenge/Bubinga neck (Ibanez Guitar Festival content)

• Thread starter simonXsludge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Beautiful! I can see this going for 1599 USD on the ibanez site. I'm sure it would sell at any price range, primarily due to neck. I'm not aware of any production models with that combination, but i'd sure as hell give it a whirl.

I really have to get tickets to NAMM when I have the chance. I keep missing out here in nowhereland, new york. :lol:

These aren't going into full production, they [it] was a spot/demo model made for a couple of the European music fairs, not NAMM.

It's going for $1k on Ikebe apparently.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tommychains

That Guy
Reaction score
These aren't going into full production, they [it] was a spot/demo model made for a couple of the European music fairs, not NAMM.

It's going for $1k on Ikebe apparently.

Of course when I don't have any spending money. Story of my life :mad:

Well I said NAMM because since I live stateside, going to europe wouldn't be worth it for me. I know these weren't here but I still keep missing the cool stuff nonetheless.

Edit: for $1000, someone better buy one and post a NGD.

NoahFett

Reaction score

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Just came here to say that it's in DK too. Thought I was all "breaking newzz!", but alas.

How many other production guitars have wenge necks, BTW?

Dog Bitten

Reaction score
It's on the Canadian site too. I've been holding off buying a new guitar hoping this one would become available. It sure is a beauty. It'll be my first locking trem.

GBH14

Reaction score
The locking trem is the only thing stopping me buying this.

I really wish Ibanez would offer their guitars with the option of a fixed bridge or locking trem, just like most the other big manufacturers do. Look at ESP - most of their standard series, and even ltd range, have the choice of a fixed bridge or trem.

Iconoclasts

Reaction score
there is no god, only the devil, and look what he brought me some time ago :mk:

RG 921 CB CBF

○Neck Type :5pcs Wenge / Bubinga Wizard Neck
○Body :Carballo Top / Mahogany Body
○Fingerboard :Rosewood Fingerboard
○Bridge :Tight-End R Bridge
○Neck PU :Dimarzio IBZ
○Bridge PU :DiMarzio IBZ
○Hardware :Cosmo Black

It's a one off from the Premium factory. No idea what carballo is, google doesn't help. Very well built and extremely lightweight, sounds softer and warmer than a typical RG. Neck profile is definitely rounder and thicker than any Wizard neck out there.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
Whoah, what a finish on the back of that neck!! That is just classy beyond definition.

Jameslewis777

I am the Overlord.
Reaction score
there is no god, only the devil, and look what he brought me some time ago :mk:

RG 921 CB CBF

○Neck Type :5pcs Wenge / Bubinga Wizard Neck
○Body :Carballo Top / Mahogany Body
○Fingerboard :Rosewood Fingerboard
○Bridge :Tight-End R Bridge
○Neck PU :Dimarzio IBZ
○Bridge PU :DiMarzio IBZ
○Hardware :Cosmo Black

It's a one off from the Premium factory. No idea what carballo is, google doesn't help. Very well built and extremely lightweight, sounds softer and warmer than a typical RG. Neck profile is definitely rounder and thicker than any Wizard neck out there.

I want this. I need this. How do I get this?

Freek

Reaction score
Hi all,

just created an account because I loved the postings about the walnut RG so much and I wanted to do a writeup about it (and I'm not a native English speaker, so please forgive me).

I just gone one of the RG970 WBWZ (walnut burst) and just played it for about 1 hour.
I absolutely adore basic RG(1)550s, but own a variety of japanese RGs (even one with ash body), 2x JEMs, 1x J.Custom (the infamous ash body RRG1 :bowdown:) and 1x S5470 with a real walnut burl top.

Unfortunately my fascination with the neck woods of this "Premium" couldn't convince me to keep the guitar, so it's going back to the shop next week.

What wrong? The guitar as a whole feels absolutely cheap, and I don't know why, really. :scratch:

First, the neck wasn't properly waxed and oiled and despite being not lacquered is kinda sticky and rough/coarse at the same time.
Then, the body polish lacquer is quite sticky, too, and you'll leave ugly finger prints all over - despite that I had just washed my hands properly. Reminds me of those bad Fender lacquers, or (cheap) chinese or korean guitars. Not even the highly glossy and reflective finish of my RRG1 has that problem.

Sound-wise all well-known 5 positions are there; the neck PU is a little bit too bright and biting, the bridge PU is missing a little more warmth/thickness/aggressiveness for my taste, but different strings (stock = D'Addario 9er) could maybe improve that.
But the feeling still is kinda off for an Ibanez, like bad or too light or too many pieces of wood being used.

Very bad
- humbucker height neck+bridge is not adjustable, and both are very very close to the strings. I feel that this also adds to the problem of the sound being sterile.
- frets don't seem to be proper jumbo ones, they're a little smaller and little less tall
- sound in general is sterile and flat, you cannot make it groan and sing and sigh
- there is that "comfortable feeling of mass swinging" missing - maybe the cheaper Zero bridge is the problem and the chambers for electronics take out too much mass

Very good
- in between positions have a nice chime, middle+bridge split sounds even better than a Strat
- middle and higher gain sounds are nicely focused and still retain a certain warmth
- the attack is very, very, very quick and strings ring out nicely (but no wonder due to the huge string height... :nono: )
- fret job is good and edges are rounded

But there's still something missing... I'm just not falling in love when I'm touching it.
And it's just like with women, you don't bother.
Maybe mine is just a bad model? The neck is also not that comfortable as the prestige ones - just like many very small details missing.

Cheers and have fun,
~F

Doombreed

Reaction score
Thanks for the review mate.

It's a bummer to hear that the guitar is a disappointment because the neck looks fantastic and it is a bit of a departure from the standard RGs. It does mirror my experiences testing out the premium line though. They simply tend to feel somewhat 'cheap'.

Have you had the opportunity to test any of the other premium line guitars so far?

')