New Instrument Day: Chapman Stick

• Thread starter rahul_mukerji
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
[I'm not sure if this thread belongs here, but this seemed appropriate for Extended Range Instruments !]

Hello Fellow Forumers !!

After a few years of playing with a few 7 strings and subsequently my Ibanez 8 String, I finally got my hands on a beautiful 10 String Railboard Chapman Stick on CL a few weeks back !

I've been really into the tapping style since watching Stanley Jordan and Adam Fulara and such artists. I've been trying to emulate that kind of playing on my guitars since 2004 or so.

A Few years back my band got a chance to play with the amazing Rob Martino who absolutely floored me with his playing and the sound and capabilities of the Chapman Stick. Since then I've been on the look out for a piece that wasn't too highly priced. I was able to find one on CL for a pretty good price and after taking a look at it, the piece seemed well worth the price.

The Instrument is tuned to Baritone Melody Tuning. So its like learning a new instrument at this point but with some point of familiarity. I'm really excited about my adventure on this new instrument.

I've been able to get my hands around it and knock out some initial pieces so you guys have something to reference. Hopefully it helps others who are looking to purchase such a touch style instrument.

Read more about the Railboard Chapman Stick by clicking on this link

:: Video 1 ::

:: Video 2 ::

12006577_10206283961191152_6900599756659522535_o.jpg

12010531_10206283960751141_1646463153139561509_o.jpg

12000897_10206283960671139_931206602520834931_o.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal_Val

Reaction score
When I saw King Crimson on the "double trio" tour back in '95(or '96?) I was blown
away by Tony Levin's Stick playing. The Stick is a rad instrument!!
Good Luck to ya!!!!

Mangle

Breaker
Reaction score
My limited experience with these instruments has always left me in awe of the folks handling them and looking good doing it.

HNID! Looks like an exciting beast to be in posession of.... good luck in your endeavors with it. I'd look forward to updates of your progress in developing your ability with it as well.

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
<3

I have a NS/Stick, but I am by no means a stick player. Greg Howard provides lessons via Skype, if I was farther along, I'd do it myself, but I highly recommend him, he's a great teacher.

77zark77

Reaction score
really like the second video - reminds me some Doom3 stuff

Smart indeed ! Congrats :yesway:

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Thanks guys !! Yeah I'm super excited about learning the instrument and hopefully integrating it with my present band at some point ... or playing it solo on the side.

Hey Dusty Chalk:

Are you on the Sickist forum as well ? I just joined there a few weeks back. Yeah I'm hoping to take lessons with Greg once I get a little more familiar with the instrument, right now its really intimidating and I'm still doing the fundamental finger exercises :lol:

Really cool that you have a NS/Stick. Which version do you have and how are you liking it ?

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Oh man serious envy. I would love one of these and it will probably be my next big purchase. Do you think the 12 string model would be too much for someone with no stick experience (unless you count touchstyle playing on a six string bass and you shouldnt). Ill have a watch of those videos in the morning, but for now congrats on the awesome instrument!

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
Hey Dusty Chalk:

Are you on the Stickist forum as well ? I just joined there a few weeks back. Yeah I'm hoping to take lessons with Greg once I get a little more familiar with the instrument, right now its really intimidating and I'm still doing the fundamental finger exercises :lol:

Really cool that you have a NS/Stick. Which version do you have and how are you liking it ?
There are versions? Lollers. Let's see if I can find the email...
NS/Stick, alder body lacquered dark copper with wenge neck, standard all fourths tuning, medium/heavy string gauge, EMG-FT pickups, white pearl dot in bass pattern, with anvil flight case

EDIT: Oh, I know what you mean...no, the NS/Stick only comes in 8-string, it's not like a Chapman Stick that comes in Stick, Grand Stick, Alto Stick, etc. It's just NS/Stick.

Yeah, I got completely overwhelmed, so backed off and started learning guitar first. I should probably get back to it.

No, not on the Stickist forum with any regularity, I do think I'm registered, though.

Greg recommends starting off with lessons with him right away, even if you're a beginner, probably so you don't screw up the setup on it (I almost did -- you tune it differently than you may think) -- it's an entirely different instrument, so you may want to contact him for one first lesson so that you don't develop any bad habits. I should probably do that myself, I think I'm good enough on guitar that I won't entirely embarrass myself with him.

He's particularly good for playing solo, since he's done a lot of that.

Cheers, welcome to the club. Although you've probably already surpassed me.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Hey jonajon91 :wavey:

The only thing I would say is talk to some people on the Stick forum to see what model would best suit you. They can recommend if a 10 or 12 string would meet your needs. They are a very helpful bunch of people :agreed:

I dont think a 12 String would be too much though. It really is an instrument all to its own, since even playing touch-style on the guitar /bass isn't quite the same. However, you do have a major advantage if you've been playing touch-style on the guitar / bass as your finger independence and left and right hand independence would be better developed than anyone who hasn't played that way.

I had no prior Stick experience. Never had a chance to play one or hold and check it out. I took the dive and the 10 string seems like a good start. I don't think I'll be outgrowing it anytime soon.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Hey Dusty Chalk

Yeah I have Greg's DVD. I got that with the Stick. So I'm working through that.The guy who sold it to me was kind enough to give me the DVD and some instruction on the tuning and such, so that saved me a MAJOR HEADACHE !!

I know exactly what you mean though. That thing is seriously intimidating. I printed out the Baritone Melody chart and then looked up how to tune it.

But you're right. I should take some lessons from Greg so as to avoid bad habits. That's good advice :agreed:

KrisNH

Reaction score
That's a beautiful Railboard. I have a 10-string and an Alto, and am close to picking up an NS if I can sell my Carvin 7. Definitely ask lots of questions at the Stickiest forum, they're very helpful folks. And I agree on having a lesson with Greg to get started the right way, I think his style is excellent and a little unique compared to other seasoned Stick players.

Kris

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
Strandberg has a lot to learn about minimalism it seems. :cool:

Seriously though that is one cool instrument HNGD.