New Jackson X Series 7 string

• Thread starter FrancescoFiligoi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I seriously doubt an entry-level Jackson would surpass them. It all boils down to preference.

Your experiences stem from when Jacksons made in India sucked. I remember a time when a lot of Agiles on this forum were turds or had issues - I'd hardly wager that the same thing will happen with Jackson. A lot has changed since then -- now Agile's quality is better than what it was initially. I think Jackson will have the same impression now as Agile with probably similar quality at this price point if not better due to better QC.

The X-series I've played have been good for the price - maybe a little more attention to fretwork but at least the frets were crowned unlike Schecters. I mean don't get me wrong I love my Japanese Pros from the early 90s and have USAs but don't write it off before you try it.

This one looks to have alder or mahogany wings but lets see. Can't please everyone :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
The USA Jacksons I played (post Fender) imo aren't even on par with Japanese Jacksons. There was just a horrible lack of attention to the fretwork on the ones I played. I'm not an Agile fanboy by any means. Of the fifty-eight guitars I have owned, most were Ibanez, Fender, and ESP(LTD and Edwards included). The worst were Gibson and Jackson (of the large name companies). I'm not here to bash Jackson at all because I liked all of the Japanese ones that I have tried (aside from my cousin's lemon). I am merely stating that people underestimate the quality of Rondo guitars and I seriously doubt an entry-level Jackson would surpass them. It all boils down to preference.

Pre/post fender arguments are so lame

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
That's all I'm trying to say is that from my Jackson experience, the Agiles came out as a better deal. I haven't tried any new Jacksons recently and I don't write off anyone simply because every guitar is different. I played a ton of Gibsons and most of them had issues that were something to be seen on entry-level instruments. That was a few years ago though. There were still a couple of awesome ones and I hope they took care of their problems. If I had the money, I would love a custom Jackson. I am always on the lookout for a Jackson Stars RR-J2SP.

Also I have never played a pre-Fender USA Jackson so I do not know if there is any difference. I only mentioned it in case it means anything to anyone.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
Am I the only one here that finds all the improvements quite shitty aesthetically? It doesn't really look much like a Jackson to me without the inline headstock or an actual semblance of sharktooths. It all looks a tad pedestrian.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
If all Ibanez's were wiped off the Earth and never made again. . . . . . .

. . . . . . . I'd be a happy Jackson player with not a complaint in the world :).

I honestly don't get why everyone hates Jackson so much (well, not everyone, but, a big portion). They're quality and affordable! Not to mention comfy! Even the JS models feel great in my hands!

My first guitar was a JS1R. Fucking loved it and it treated me well! Until I got my RG1527 :lol:.

MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
i assume it would be basswood with almost the whole x series line being basswood. Sorry guys i assumed it was basswood after seeing alot of posts on it being so :)

Zerox8610

Reaction score

. . . . . . . I'd be a happy Jackson player with not a complaint in the world :).

I honestly don't get why everyone hates Jackson so much (well, not everyone, but, a big portion). They're quality and affordable! Not to mention comfy! Even the JS models feel great in my hands!

My first guitar was a JS1R. Fucking loved it and it treated me well! Until I got my RG1527 :lol:.

I love both brands. They're my favs.

But then again to be honest I like almost every brand for specific things.

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score

The headstock. That's the only reason I dislike Jacksons. The in-line sharkfin is agonizing to me. Aesthetics and minor, I know, but there it is.

This guitar does interest me though. I'd like to see how it plays and such. Could be a nice back-up or a good "Fear Factory" guitar for me, allowing me to free up my RGT from A-standard entirely (which would be nice indeed!)

Pav

???
Reaction score
The headstock. That's the only reason I dislike Jacksons. The in-line sharkfin is agonizing to me. Aesthetics and minor, I know, but there it is.

Haha...the Jackson headstock and the sharkfin inlays are two reasons I love the brand so damn much. Jackson has more or less always produced guitars that are very aesthetically pleasing to me, which I can't say for...just about any other brand I can think of.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The USA Jacksons I played (post Fender) imo aren't even on par with Japanese Jacksons. There was just a horrible lack of attention to the fretwork on the ones I played.

You must be the outlier, then, because the 40 or so I've played over the last 9 years don't back up your claim. There were a couple with issues from early on, but honestly there's nothing to the "pre-Fender" crap - it's the SAME PEOPLE building them, just in a different physical space.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
You must be the outlier, then, because the 40 or so I've played over the last 9 years don't back up your claim. There were a couple with issues from early on, but honestly there's nothing to the "pre-Fender" crap - it's the SAME PEOPLE building them, just in a different physical space.

Like I said before, I wouldn't know anything about the "pre-Fender" crap. I only added it because some Jackson fan boys get crazy about whether they are or not. The ones I played were from 2005-2006ish. There was a USA Dinky bolt-on with EMGs and a cherry burst flame veneer and a USA Soloist with 2 Duncan humbuckers and a flame veneer. Both had chrome hardware with what I presumed were original Floyds. After playing them side by side with an ESP Standard Horizon and an RR5, I preferred the fretwork of the Japanese guitars because it was a lot smoother. I don't know what the deal was with those guitars and I'm not bashing on Jackson. I am merely stating my experience.

VinnyShredz

Reaction score

All the pre/post fender arguments are so dumb!

People just like to make it sound like they know what their talking about.

Jacksons, no matter what year, FTW :bowdown:

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, lot of bickering going on here.

I think this is a great move for Jackson personally. My only issue is I've become sooo damn particular with guitars that my options are so narrow now it's painful for me. Hence the reason I placed an order for a 7-string custom Jackson Kelly. I prefer passives but I love a few actives out there so that's not an issue for me at all. A couple of my main issues with axe's out there are:

Scale length - I tune down to "A" and with the heavier gauges I use I could never intonate perfectly with 25.5" scale so I prefer the Schecter 26.5" scale

Volume knob placement - so many companies lately seem to be putting the volume knob right up uber close to the bridge pickup. I'm considering selling my barely used brand new condition Schecter Riot 8 because of this. I just keep hitting the knob. And it's a low resistance knob so even a gentle bump changes the volume. It's fucking maddening. So, I look for guitars with the volume knob in either a slightly pushed away or pushed back placement.

Floyd Rose bridge - After years of hating them and getting far more accustomed to proper setup I've now gone back to them. The majority of 7's and 8's have fixed bridges, which I like and is ok, but I prefer a Floyd these days.

There's other shit like body/neck woods but that is secondary and I can deal with if these other more important features are met. Unfortunately, most of what I like and care about is simply not met in the 7+ string realm without going custom. 6-string however, that market is fully open to me. I just wish they would diversify the 7 string realm more.

Rev.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I will buy one of these in a heartbeat. I'm a big Jackson guy though.

haffner1

Reaction score
If these are prototypes, hopefully we will see some of them pop up on MusicFarm or somewhere. I got a prototype of the JrV 7 from them a couple years ago.

')