New Jeff Loomis Video from his Album!

• Thread starter great_kthulu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
I find myself wishing the rhythm guitar was louder. In the youtubes from his studio sessions his rhythm guitar tones was beyond sick. That said, I LOVED Zero Order Phase, and will be pre-ordering this.

Apparently he's touring on this album too, I can't wait to see that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
I don't really enjoy it :( its cool, but I'd never listen to it.

While I like it better than his previous solo work, its still more of the same. He's become a bit of a one trick pony... I don't know what the best way to describe it, but there's no atmosphere or layering in his solo work, just a lot of in your face melodies.

Reaction score
Did Cacophony come to anyone else's mind when the video hit 4:28? I picture Jason Becker and Marty Friedman in one of those really old vids.

owl

ERHuman
Reaction score
Awesome musician, awesome harmonies, but i think, he should be more creative at rhytm, just chuggin' one note at 7th string doesnt cooperated with such a godly soloing.

AnarchyDivine88

Reaction score
I don't really enjoy it :( its cool, but I'd never listen to it.

While I like it better than his previous solo work, its still more of the same. He's become a bit of a one trick pony... I don't know what the best way to describe it, but there's no atmosphere or layering in his solo work, just a lot of in your face melodies.

What about Cashmere Shiv? You might like that one or maybe Opulent Maelstrom.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I don't know what the best way to describe it, but there's no atmosphere or layering in his solo work, just a lot of in your face melodies.

jeff has been playing like this for over a decade though. it kinda sucks that the better he gets with his technique the less creative he gets. This pretty much sounds like a tribute to becker/friedman with 7 string chugging.

listen to how this solo develops from 2:55.

His solos used to have the most sinister atmosphere. It was vibe/song first, solo second. Hasn't been like that since Dead Heart.

Metaguitarist

Reaction score
HIGHLY IMPRESSED! I'd rate this higher than any of Loomis's previous work. And T-Mac, WONDERFUL Playing! Thanks for the awesome music.

svart

Far Beyond Metal
Reaction score
really stoked for this one! only thing missing IMO is a guest appearance from Tim Calvert. That dude really kicked Loomis's ass on dreaming neon black a few times!

To me there's the 'problem' with the one trick pony remarks, he's evolving quiet greatly, but on his own. nobody around to really push him to the next level...

Can't wait to pick this one up though!:hbang:

jsl2h90

Reaction score
Just when I start getting bored with his stuff and jump on the Tosin bandwagon, he does this! His playing has really matured. I mean, I've been a Loomis fanboy since This Godless Endeavor came out but ZOP was like 45 minutes of diminished scales and it got a bit old. This stuff has a completely fresh sound, and Macalpines solo ruled. I'm not typically into "melodic" stuff but I can't wait for this to be released.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Love Loomis.

That being said, I was very much disappointed. Everything he puts out feels like a rehash of the same riffs and licks from Nevermore's last three albums.

RearyGay

Reaction score
Love Loomis.

That being said, I was very much disappointed. Everything he puts out feels like a rehash of the same riffs and licks from Nevermore's last three albums.

Huge Jeff Loomis fan here, I'd have to painfully agree.

I still enjoy the new song, though.

travis bickle

Reaction score
wow, wasn't expecting that at all!!!! that was awesome. I have always respected nevermore, but never really got into them. i heard a little cacophony stylings in there as well. i'll definitely be getting this.

Cyntex

love & peace!
Reaction score
^this, that was the same feeling I got and cacophony is one of my favourite bands, so I think it's a good thing! Not suprised though, he did say in interviews that he was a fan of jason becker. I really don't mind if it's just more of the same thing, as long as it's done well I couldnt care less.

Sikthness

Reaction score
Huge Jeff Loomis fan here, I'd have to painfully agree.

I still enjoy the new song, though.

I love Loomis, but I'm starting to get that feeling too. But I still enjoy it all, so maybe its just the fact he has produced enough material that his playing is now instantly recognizable as Loomis? I dunno, as long as its good I will keep listening, whether it sounds rehashed or not. Also, does anyone know if he is going to do any 8 string stuff on this? The only reason I bring it up is cuz I know he is kinda 'in' with some of the bigger djenters, guest solos on Periphery/Keith Merrow cds, etc.

BlackMesa

the G-Man's Bitch
Reaction score
Sweet Jeebus!! I didn't know he has Ihsahn as a guest vocalist for this the new album. Holy Shit!!

HeavyMetal4Ever

Reaction score
Not since Guthrie Govan's Erotic Cakes have I sweated a release this much.

I WANTS IT NAO!!!!!! Yesterday would also be acceptable.

Rock on!

')