New John Mayer Paul Reed Strat signature?

• Thread starter Zado
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, I really wasn't aware this guitar had become such a huge thing apparently worthy for a zealous indignation. I caught up here and there and people are actually taking this thing really personally... Like getting mad about it...

About a guitar... Someone else wanted... That they don't have to buy...

I guess I should not be surprised but I kind of am... Oh internet.

I kinda like how bent out of shape Fender is about it. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
I had to unfollow a PRS fan page on Facebook because you would have fucking swore the SILVER sky was falling. Some people posted NGDs with them and the comment sections were like war zones.
Fixed that there for you, dude! War Zone is right. A bunch of grown men going to internet war like it was a bloody One Direction erotic fan fiction comments page. They should be ashamed of themselves! :D

I kinda like how bent out of shape Fender is about it. :lol:
Haha, really? I haven't seen anything from Fender about this, but the whole situation is slowly bringing out my inner gossip so I want to know more!

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
PRS Holcomb isn’t exactly Stratesque but it has 20”. I believe a lot of the superstrats are flatter too (Ibanez, etc.), especially in the higher frets.

You could also look into custom (Warmoth, and such). You can get really flat fretboards from them.

Are you like Periphery's endorsement manager?? Non stop invective public relations guy, than someone asks for flat radius strat guitar and you drop the friggen PRS Holcomb dual humbucker, 3/3 headstock no pickgaurd no trem (I know there are hard tail strats), 24 fret, bound neck...

Not trying to pile on as at least you're trying to help people and not a salty dick like many others but cmon.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Are you like Periphery's endorsement manager?? Non stop invective public relations guy, than someone asks for flat radius strat guitar and you drop the friggen PRS Holcomb dual humbucker, 3/3 headstock no pickgaurd no trem (I know there are hard tail strats), 24 fret, bound neck...

Not trying to pile on as at least you're trying to help people and not a salty dick like many others but cmon.

lol

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
If people are mad that PRS ripped off the Strat then man are they going to get pissed when they found out about the billions of Strat ripoffs out there since the Strat is probably the most copied design of all time

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score

Out of that entire post, all you see is the comment about the Holcomb? Hyper sensitive much? That shouldn’t even warrant a comment.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
Out of that entire post, all you see is the comment about the Holcomb? Hyper sensitive much? That shouldn’t even warrant a comment.

Guess by it being the first thing mentioned the absurbity of it overshadowed your other valid suggestions. Like I said not trying to be a dick just was shocked it was even in the discusssion

gujukal

Reaction score
To me, it's strange seeing that headstock on a strat, especially one as "standard looking" as that one.

Agree, Fender headstocks smooth shape matches the body shape so well :) It's like a person with a skinny face and super fat body.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
And with all that, the volume knob STILL is in the most impractical place ever.

Or...the *most* practical, if swells are an important part of your sound. ;) There are also ways to make the knobs not turn quite as easily when you incidentally bump them.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Or...the *most* practical, if swells are an important part of your sound. ;) There are also ways to make the knobs not turn quite as easily when you incidentally bump them.

Volume pedals are a thing too.

EDIT: And by far more practical than using the volume knob.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Volume pedals are a thing too.

EDIT: And by far more practical than using the volume knob.

Depends on playing style and the exact type of effect you're looking to achieve.

One method or the other comes down to preference.

If the range of the pedal is better, rewire your guitar because it has a shitty pot. If moving the volume knob in a controlled manner is hard, improve your technique. Not all of us like to be chained to our pedalboards at all times. I've worked hard to make it so 90% of the changes I need in sound I can perform with a switch and a couple knobs right at hand.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
People who complain about how the features/specs/looks/controls on a signature guitar doesn't cater to them personally never gets old

I'm going to send an email to Schecter and complain about how the paint job on the Synyster Gates models look like bum and is the only thing holding me back from buying it

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Depends on playing style and the exact type of effect you're looking to achieve.

One method or the other comes down to preference.

If the range of the pedal is better, rewire your guitar because it has a shitty pot. If moving the volume knob in a controlled manner is hard, improve your technique. Not all of us like to be chained to our pedalboards at all times. I've worked hard to make it so 90% of the changes I need in sound I can perform with a switch and a couple knobs right at hand.

I always mod my guitars to where the volume is out of the way, so swells on the knob are wholly impractical for me. I like the longer range of motion I have on a pedal, as opposed to the knob. But yes, it does depend a lot on the context. In my case, pedal is the only way to go.

')