New John Mayer Paul Reed Strat signature?

• Thread starter Zado
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Something tells me Mayer doesn't need the help generated from an income stream via a signature guitar... :lol:

It's possible, but for really big names aren't these sig guitars multi-million dollar deals?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seventhwave

Reaction score
It's possible, but for really big names aren't these sig guitars multi-million dollar deals?

I can't say for certain, but I would doubt that in the context of musical instrument endorsement deals that the figures would be that high.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
I can't say for certain, but I would doubt that in the context of musical instrument endorsement deals that the figures would be that high.

John Mayer isn't really famous over here in the U.K. So I'll use that as an excuse if I'm wrong...

But that aside, I've always known Mayer as a singer who plays guitar rather than a guitarist who sings. In that respect I'd have to wonder whether there are many guitarists who would flock to his signature model.

Or am I wrong and he's a massive guitar hero to,the folks who actually spend money on guitars?

JSanta

Reaction score
John Mayer isn't really famous over here in the U.K. So I'll use that as an excuse if I'm wrong...

But that aside, I've always known Mayer as a singer who plays guitar rather than a guitarist who sings. In that respect I'd have to wonder whether there are many guitarists who would flock to his signature model.

Or am I wrong and he's a massive guitar hero to,the folks who actually spend money on guitars?

I think if you look strictly at his more pop-oriented offerings, I could totally understand your perspective. The reality is he has shared the stage with some of the biggest bluesmen in the world, including Clapton, BB King, and Double Trouble. Clapton actually called him a master of the guitar in an interview that can be found on YouTube.

He's a really great guitarist; he has a command over the instrument that I really respect, and it seems that many other people do as well. Try learning some of his songs, he has incredible feel that is difficult to duplicate, and some of his melodic ideas are quite impressive.

I think that John really knows about the guitar as well, he doesn't just happen to use one as a vehicle to write songs.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
Due to the 3+3 headstock it looks more like a retro version of a Schecter Banshee I'm curious to see where this goes though and what the finished sig ends up looking like.

shaun-morgan-20161.png

Just to keep things relevant I figured I'd post a pic of the Schecter Shaun Morgan "Strat" :cool:

Seventhwave

Reaction score

I think guitarists tend to kind of live in a bubble. Especially online lol. There's a great bit of stuff you see about guys like Tosin Abasi, John Petrucci, Mark Tremonti, Mark Holcomb, Steve Vai, etc etc etc. All great players, all influential, and all surely inspiring people to purchase the guitars they play. But those names often don't mean anything to say, a John Mayer fan who doesn't frequent these types of online discussion groups.

Mayer you don't hear so much in these online circles. That said, apparently the dude has sold over 16 million records in the US. I'd wager some of those folks will happily buy something with his name attached. But don't tend to see those guys show up on a forum like this to argue about Kirk Hammett being trash or Jeff Kiesel not being able to get his dots straight.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Mayer you don't hear so much in these online circles. That said, apparently the dude has sold over 16 million records in the US. I'd wager some of those folks will happily buy something with his name attached. But don't tend to see those guys show up on a forum like this to argue about Kirk Hammett being trash or Jeff Kiesel not being able to get his dots straight.

Yea, they're too busy watching "Dancing with the Stars".

Seventhwave

Reaction score
Yea, they're too busy watching "Dancing with the Stars".

LOL - maybe so.

But I mean, it's all subjective, right? You don't see a whole lot of people around places like this saying that Carlos Santana makes them wanna go out and spend $9000 on a PRS either. But, given how long that signature model has been around, I am guessing they move 'em.

A-Branger

Reaction score

I always had this image of him being "the next writer/singer pop" thing of back in the day when he started. You know, the kind of every girl loves and every guy who owns an acoustic and play wonderwall, now has a new idol they like. That kind of sad poppy song.

so I enver pay him attention, till recently when he got his PRS signature, and now an amp too. I was like UHH???, then I watched some videos, and yep, the guy can play for sure, he earn it hahha

now, about the gutiar.... really? a Fender with a new headstock?, even till the jack position? :scratch:, I get the bridge/pickguard/pickups/look/whatever, but even the jack position too?, at least the top horn is lower to great access to the thumb. So thats one improvement

oh well. Another Stratocaster into the world I guess :rolleyes:

BigBossAF

Kept you waiting, huh?
Reaction score
I think if you look strictly at his more pop-oriented offerings, I could totally understand your perspective. The reality is he has shared the stage with some of the biggest bluesmen in the world, including Clapton, BB King, and Double Trouble. Clapton actually called him a master of the guitar in an interview that can be found on YouTube.

He's a really great guitarist; he has a command over the instrument that I really respect, and it seems that many other people do as well. Try learning some of his songs, he has incredible feel that is difficult to duplicate, and some of his melodic ideas are quite impressive.

I think that John really knows about the guitar as well, he doesn't just happen to use one as a vehicle to write songs.

Regarding this, my older brother is quite the Mayer fanboy and so I've learned quite a few things about him in the past few years. I myself thought he was more like a singer who plays guitar. The thing is, that is quite the opposite. Apparently, has Mayer tells his story, he fell in love with the instrument and decided that's what he wanted to do, back in highschool. I've heard him say something along this lines on an interview "I decided I'd do whatever it takes to keep playing the guitar, and singing was what I need to do"

Even though I really don't follow him that much, he is quite the master of his art and when Clapton himself said it, I don't think I could disagree!

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
Mayer's name is basically a license to print money, when Fender did the custom shop replicas of his black strat which was limited to 83 worldwide or something they were sold out before they even made it to dealers and the things cost like R130k almost a decade ago :D

Also he's an amazing guitar player with a good sense of humour, it's a bit lame that this is basically just a PRS headstock on a strat though, it's basically like admitting PRS may be prettier but Fender was better in bed or something...

SDMFVan

Reaction score
I kind of feel like this might be the one guitar where the Dan Spitz headstock actually works:

4367ffd6a5442b0e3a20ace2602015e8.jpg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's worth noting that Mayer didn't leave Fender because of the guitars or money, he's got more than enough of both, he left because he didn't like the company. As much as he's emphasized how great PRS guitars are in interviews and such he really talks up working with them personally.

He wanted a Strat built by the people he likes. I can kind of understand that.

The symbolism of having a near perfect Strat clone with the signature PRS headstock makes a lot of sense now. As if saying "this is what I want to play, but this is who I want to make it".

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
It's worth noting that Mayer didn't leave Fender because of the guitars or money, he's got more than enough of both, he left because he didn't like the company. As much as he's emphasized how great PRS guitars are in interviews and such he really talks up working with them personally.

The symbolism of having a near perfect Strat clone with the signature PRS headstock makes a lot of sense now. As if saying "this is what I want to play, but this is who I want to make it".

:yesway:

SDMFVan

Reaction score

That's my understanding from the guys at PRS who have worked with him. Apparently he was SUPER guitar nerdy (in a good way) when designing the Super Eagle, and made really small tweaks from one revision to the next that would probably be imperceptible to 99.9% of the general public. PRS loves that stuff because NOBODY is as guitar nerdy as Paul Smith, but I imagine Fender is less inclined to indulge those kind of whims. Especially considering how much time and how many different guitars they built before they landed on "the one". I'm sure Fender would rather just slap your name on a Strat and cash checks.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
That's my understanding from the guys at PRS who have worked with him. Apparently he was SUPER guitar nerdy (in a good way) when designing the Super Eagle, and made really small tweaks from one revision to the next that would probably be imperceptible to 99.9% of the general public. PRS loves that stuff because NOBODY is as guitar nerdy as Paul Smith, but I imagine Fender is less inclined to indulge those kind of whims. Especially considering how much time and how many different guitars they built before they landed on "the one". I'm sure Fender would rather just slap your name on a Strat and cash checks.

As someone who can't name a single John Mayer song but know of his reputation this seems to be a fair point in general. JM has the talent, discernment and the wallet to make a tone quest legitimate.

However I'd think that him leaving Fender would probably be personal. It's not like the various Fender group custom shop doesn't have a suitable number of nerds working for them, and they're well aware that JM's signature would be guaranteed to sell instruments. I wouldn't be surprised if he either met with PRS and his team and got what they were aiming for with guitar, or had a falling out with the Fender reps or management. Still, this part will be speculation as it's one of those things that would never come out!

SDMFVan

Reaction score
Yeah, he has a watch collection valued in the neighborhood of $30 million so I'm sure any decisions he makes regarding guitar endorsements would be personal and not financial. I know when he left Fender he tweeted that he would continue to play the guitars but that the company was no longer the same one he'd gone into business with or something along those lines. He's very close to Mike Eldred from the Fender Custom Shop, who was let go by Fender shortly before Mayer killed his endorsement. I wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with it.

')