New Korn signature 7 string for 2014?

• Thread starter 27InchScale
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which model/models would you buy?

• Total voters

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone kno why/how many komrad 20 are being made and if they will be "rare"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I don't really know why, but man I love that Apex200. Not a big Korn or Munky fan (not a hater, either, just... neutral I guess?). But something about that guitar looks great to me. Love the block neck joint, too. I like that it's more utilitarian than my "fancy pants" J Custom, but I'd hate to pay the asking price for it, though, since I'm not even sure I could sell my must fancier J Custom for that much. :(

Bigredjm15

Reaction score
My strategy has always been to pick up signature models second hand off the bay or here, the asking price is pretty high (at least for me) for the apex200, but it definetly is a slick looking guitar. I'm sure with some patience you'll be able to pick one up off of the bay or wherever else for about half the price.

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
I jus picked my new Komrad up yeaterday but have litterally only played it for 5 mins. It is wayyyyyyy nicer than i expected for an indo ibby considering all of mine are MIJ or prestige/sig models. One thing that surprised me was it is white splatter paint, i thought it was silver from pics. The neck is fantastic! Love the all maple neck. Very light for a basswood guitar. I will do a NGD and post pics as soon as i get a chance.

Bigredjm15

Reaction score
I had my Komrad20 on preorder from MF... I'm wondering if I should cancel and order what axepalace has available........ Decisions decisions

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Okay here is my objective review on the KOMRAD20, along with some pics:

The Good

Sounds really good, after changing the ridiculous 11-74 string gauges that came stock with it. Has a naturally vibrant sound. Neck is very comfortable, seems thinner than the other Indo 7s, much like the Apex20. Finish looks great in person. DiMarzio PAF7s more than adequate for a stock pickup. After a few mods (see below), an excellent overall guitar.

The Bad

The worst. bridge. ever. The height adjustment screws in the saddles are so sharp, that its impossible for it to be comfortable to play out of the box. It took my tech about 3-4 hours of filing down the saddles so they would be smooth and flush with the bridge. I pity anyone who buys this guitar from a place with no tech. Don't believe me? There's even a Korn "making of" video where Head himself shows how he cut his hand on this bridge on this guitar, with blood gushing everywhere. I'm surprised they didn't use the Gibraltar II on this, as that bridge is flawless. Once the bridge is modded, its very comfortable and all is well.

Conclusion

If you take this to a tech and have them fix the saddle issue and perform a good setup, this is a great guitar. It sounds great, its light-weight, the finish is cool, the neck is killer. But beware of this bridge issue. If you intend on ordering this guitar, I highly recommend budgeting tech work into the equation (or order it from a place with an in-house tech who can fix this before it leaves).

img_3942.jpg

img_3940.jpg

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
^agreed, the owner from the store had to raise the saddles alot due to the bridge. Hey nick any ideas about the serial number, any indication of the number it was made?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
^agreed, the owner from the store had to raise the saddles alot due to the bridge. Hey nick any ideas about the serial number, any indication of the number it was made?

Yeah but then the action will be higher than you want. Highly recommend having the guy where you bought it from file/sand/cut the screws down, so you can get that ultra low action we all expect from a Prestige Ibanez and smooth feel, without having to shim.

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
I will do that myself, he jus did that before i picked it up. Any idea about the serial?

Bigredjm15

Reaction score
What is the deal with those massive gauges btw? The tone on the new album is pretty killer but I would think that big of a string would sound dull.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
What is the deal with those massive gauges btw? The tone on the new album is pretty killer but I would think that big of a string would sound dull.

It does sound dull, thankfully when we put on the proper 10-60 it sounded/felt 10000x better. Its a great guitar once you do the before mentioned mods.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey Zim, an idea for you. It might be easier (or at least significantly faster) for you guys to just load up on shorter screws to do a swap: Bridge Saddle Height Screws | Allparts.com

Definitely something worth considering. Our tech did cut them down but then there was also the matter of smoothing them out so they don't poke at you.

Bigredjm15

Reaction score
Head made it sound like it on that video but looks the same to me... Kinda weird really

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I wonder if a hipshot 7 fixed bridge would work. If the bridge on this 7 is the same basic one they used on the 7620/7621s, it should be pretty much a straight swap.

Latest posts

')