New KSE album

• Thread starter wannabguitarist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

meisterjager

Now available in HD
Reaction score
Picked it up the other day, not overly kean, bout even with Chimira's latest.

Glad you all like The Forgotten, it grooves EXACTLY the same as one of my bands songs :erk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Benjo230

Reaction score
I tried listening to them on the myspace, got most of the way through, and to me it was just background music, nothing fresh or inspiring.

:2c:

Reaction score
I don't know what everyone has against this album. It really seems to showcase Howard which is awesome. I feel like he truly proves hes a great singer on this CD. It doesn't sound like AOJB, EOH, or ADD, which awesome because who wants to listen to the same cd twice. This cd may be their best release yet, and for everyone who listens only up to song 4, is a dumb ass, because the cd has some of its best work near the end.:fawk:

thecrouss

Reaction score
Personally, I think this is KSE at their worst.
I look a listen to this cd today, and I have to agree. It was just bland bland bland. I didn't take a close listen, as I was doing work. But I never once had the notion to do the little head bob while I'm doing other stuff. I just had to try to resist turning it off.. heh.

Dylan7620

that guy
Reaction score
I knew this album would bring a divide amongst killswitch fans, i called this a while ago. I knew they were either going to release something completly predictable and get a lot of shit for not being different enough, or they were going to try something new and get a lot shit for not being the same.:rolleyes:

at first listen (and even a few there after) not a whole lot honestly stood out to me. but i decided to keep it in the cd player. after all, As Daylight Dies after the first listen came off as End of Heartache part 2 for me even though now i prefer it to the latter, any day. This album is not as catchy, and it's not all that heavy (not that KSE is really "heavy" by a lot of metalhead standards but you know what i mean) it's just Killswitch. It's them trying to recreate themselves. As Daylight Dies was the pinical of what they had been trying to do for a long time and featured some of the most mature songwriting they'd ever done and it shows not only in the songs themselves but in the flow of the entire album.

This album focuses much more on Howard's singing than anything else. Which is good, it's one of their biggest strengths and something they have over A LOT of bands in this aging genre. The album also dials in on more harmonized guitar melodies rather than mostly just little licks here and there as we've seen in the past. They really started hinting at this on "Be One" a special edition track from ADD, probably my favorite tune on that album actually, so I'm glad to see they moved more in that direction.

The whole thing has really started to grow on me, which for me is a good thing, that kind of stuff usually has much more longevity and is much more listenable to me later on down the road. I guess I'm just saying this album is much more up & down for me. I loved the Jesse era, and I loved the previous Howard era, but for different reasons. This time around it sounds like they took a step back, which they did, but it's neccessary to reconstruct themselves and evolve. This is the first time in a long time they've really stepped out of their comfort zone in a lot of ways and it shows. I'm really excited for it, this album is "good" IMO, but if they can fine tune the potential of what they're trying to do here(like they've done in the past) on the next offering then I think we're in for a real treat in a couple years.:yesway: Until then I'll be completely happy with this one for what it is.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
^:agreed: As Daylight Dies is actually my favorite album by them, and I've been a fan since AOJB.

This is Goodbye, In a Dead World (bonus track), and Reckoning are my favorite tracks so far. The CD version of Starting over isn't that bad either.

6or7mattersnot

Hey guys look! Text!
Reaction score
I love the new Killswitch. I think it's better than their first self titled album, but I must say I prefer Alive of Just Barely Breathing 'cuz it had My Last Serenade on it.

Adam D and Stroezel definitely cleaned up their playing though, very powerful and their chords are clear, not sloppy like a lot of earlier metalcore was. I'm glad to see that the new generation of metal is evolving and getting better and better, and I'm proud that I'm going to be a part of it. Can't wait to get my band together for the first time...

Reaction score
I personally love this CD. I wasn't hooked on it at first, but after a few listens it really grew on me. Reckoning is a fucking amazing song, and I can listen to it over and over.

')