New laptop?

• Thread starter AustinxAtomic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AustinxAtomic

Reaction score
Well my Toshiba laptop of about two years has stopped working (never gets past the loading screen that says "microsoft corporation" at the bottom)
I've taken it to this guy, my mom's co-worker who is pretty good at fixing computers and what not.
He can't figure it out, he can't get my recovery disks to load.

But anyway, after Christmas, I'll probably purchase a new laptop.
Here's what I'm looking for.
Preferably no more than $600 USD.
I don't do any computer gaming.
Just browsing, watch videos, download music.
and in the near future, I plan to get some recording software to run.

I've found some Asus laptop on Best Buy's website for like $530.
It's got 6gb RAM, and a 500gb HDD.
Seems like a good deal.

But my main concern, for all I'm using it for, would I be better off saving some money, and going with something cheaper?

Thanks,
Austin.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tones

Red paperclip trader
Reaction score
Well my Toshiba laptop of about two years has stopped working (never gets past the loading screen that says "microsoft corporation" at the bottom)
I've taken it to this guy, my mom's co-worker who is pretty good at fixing computers and what not.
He can't figure it out, he can't get my recovery disks to load.

But anyway, after Christmas, I'll probably purchase a new laptop.
Here's what I'm looking for.
Preferably no more than $600 USD.
I don't do any computer gaming.
Just browsing, watch videos, download music.
and in the near future, I plan to get some recording software to run.

I've found some Asus laptop on Best Buy's website for like $530.
It's got 6gb RAM, and a 500gb HDD.
Seems like a good deal.

But my main concern, for all I'm using it for, would I be better off saving some money, and going with something cheaper?

Thanks,
Austin.

Well really, since you're not using your computer for gaming, that really narrows down your search. You're only doing some browsing, playing videos, and recording, so a very simple laptop with at least a 2.0GHz processor and at least 2GB ram should do enough. Even with those specs you still have some headroom. The Asus laptop seems to be a very good deal, but it's overkill. Save yourself some dough.

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop / Intel® Celeron® Processor / 15.6" Display / 2GB Memory / 250GB Hard Drive - Black - C655-S5082

that should be everything you need. It's almost like the one I'm using now and I love it for browsing, and I'm sure it can be a useful recording computer.

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
My concern about cheap laptops is that they just won't last very long because of how poorly built they are. However there are jems out there to consider, you just have to do some careful research and don't let the price vs specs bother you too much.

My personal advise, spend a little bit more and get something that will last you a loooong time or else your going to be back in the same boat 2 years later if another laptop craps out.

The Atomic Ass

Redefining Sound
Reaction score
Before buying a new laptop, try Ubuntu. I've gotten it to load on several computers that no longer tolerate Microshit. Stupendously simple to install, too.

All it'll cost you is a blank CD-R. Or, if your CD drive is toast, you can also load it onto a blank USB flash drive.

Oh, and just a tip, before doing anything else, look up the fan cleaning disassembly instructions for your laptop.