New/Looking to Purchase my first 7

• Thread starter Progfather
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Progfather

Reaction score
Hello there everyone, I'll just introduce myself fairly quickly.

I've been playing for about 8 years, but always a six string. Recently I've been getting into bands that take advantage of 7 strings, and it really started to interest me. Besides just playing/writing heavier styled music, I would really see a huge benefit in using a 7 string as my main axe once I get the hang of the extended range.

So I suppose my first question would be, "Is it hard for an experienced guitarist to make the 6 to 7 transition?" I know it's different for everyone, but I would love to hear everyone's past experiences in how they were able to adjust from a 6 to a 7 string, unless you started out playing on a 7 of course. :scratch:

Also, I've been looking at a few different guitars. Personally, I love my Jackson DK2M Dinky. The neck is just something that I have fell in love with, and I love my passive Seymour Duncans (Not a fan of active pickups). I suppose I love thin necks, and I guess I've found that in my past experience with Jacksons, Musicman Petruccis (My absolute favorite neck), and Ibanez guitars.

Recently I've been looking at the Ibanez RG927 Premium, which looks like an incredibly fantastic guitar, as well as an Agile 7 string. In regards to the Agile, the price is extremely fair for the specs that are in the guitar, but from what I hear there is a 50% chance in receiving a dud. Also, the stock passive pickups seem like they are quite shitty so a swap to a set of DiMarzios would have to be a must.

What is everyone's input on these guitars? Or if you have any other suggestions I am all ears. I've fiddled around with Schecters before but I just can't connect with the necks. They feel too fat for me, I like my necks lean and mean.

Thanks for the time!:shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sluntlunt

Reaction score
Hey Prog,

The tranisition from 6-7 is incredibly easy, (atleast for me, i havnt heard many people having dramas), I played sixes for about 10 years before i made the jump and i was hesistent at first as you seem to be. But it really was easy Its probably harder to play a 6 now after playing a 7 feels quite weird lol.

As far as what to get, Ibanez necks sound like your thing, There not to dissamiller from a jackson neck as far as thinness goes.

Progfather

Reaction score
Alright awesome, thanks for your response!

Quite honestly, it's not easy finding a new 7 string lol. I mean, I want a Floyd Rose, just for technical and versatility reasons, though I am always down for the Musicman JP model if I can get a good price for one. But here's how I see it:

ESP/LTD: Only 1 7 string model with a Floyd Rose and it has Active pickups. Making the switch to passive would be a complicated process.

Jackson: I'd love to get my hands on the 7 String Soloist they have, but once again, Active EMG's and it is a bit pricey.

Ibanez: I might have to go used on this one. From what I hear guitars like the 7620 and the 1537 were great 7's, but they're discontinued. I was looking at the RG927QM but I've heard different things about it and I can't be the judge of it until I actually play one.

Agile: The guitars look great, but the build quality sounds hit or miss.

Schecter: Fat ass necks, not my thing!

Zerox8610

Reaction score
It's not hard to find used MIJ Ibanez 7s. Just look around. Hell we might even have a member or two selling theirs in the Marketplace right now haha. Good guitars tho. My first 7 is my RG7421 and it's done great, but I would like a CL/LF combo for it.

Reaction score
Hello there everyone, I'll just introduce myself fairly quickly.

I've been playing for about 8 years, but always a six string. Recently I've been getting into bands that take advantage of 7 strings, and it really started to interest me. Besides just playing/writing heavier styled music, I would really see a huge benefit in using a 7 string as my main axe once I get the hang of the extended range.

So I suppose my first question would be, "Is it hard for an experienced guitarist to make the 6 to 7 transition?" I know it's different for everyone, but I would love to hear everyone's past experiences in how they were able to adjust from a 6 to a 7 string, unless you started out playing on a 7 of course. :scratch:

Also, I've been looking at a few different guitars. Personally, I love my Jackson DK2M Dinky. The neck is just something that I have fell in love with, and I love my passive Seymour Duncans (Not a fan of active pickups). I suppose I love thin necks, and I guess I've found that in my past experience with Jacksons, Musicman Petruccis (My absolute favorite neck), and Ibanez guitars.

Recently I've been looking at the Ibanez RG927 Premium, which looks like an incredibly fantastic guitar, as well as an Agile 7 string. In regards to the Agile, the price is extremely fair for the specs that are in the guitar, but from what I hear there is a 50% chance in receiving a dud. Also, the stock passive pickups seem like they are quite shitty so a swap to a set of DiMarzios would have to be a must.

What is everyone's input on these guitars? Or if you have any other suggestions I am all ears. I've fiddled around with Schecters before but I just can't connect with the necks. They feel too fat for me, I like my necks lean and mean.

Thanks for the time!:shred:

Check out the Ibanez RG7320 for sure. I think its going to be my next guitar here real soon. My previous 7 was a Jackson SLAT3-7 which I had to finally get rid of because it was virtually impossible to get the action correct and stop all the fretting out and string buzzing. Plus the size of the head stock really got on my nerves. Getting the Floyd to float of course is always a pain if you mess with the string gauges as well which won't be a problem with the tremolo system that the RG7320 has. The only negative thing I can say about this guitar is the neck binding has a really cheap look & feel to it.

Progfather

Reaction score
Eh, well I'll take your word for it, but I really cannot cope with guitars that have a cheap feel to it. I mean my Jackson Dinky was only about $650 dollars out the door, but aside from the Licensed Floyd Rose installed in it (which I have no gripes about, it works fine for me), the guitar is top notch and is definitely up to my standards. I don't know if it is just because I have been using that guitar as my main axe for five years, but I LOVE the feel of my Jackson; it's practically like my soul mate as gay as that sounds, but I just have a seamless bond with the guitar. Not to say that I have never played a cheap guitar that feels great, because I have. Quite honestly, if I can find a guitar that just needs a new set of pickups but plays great and stays in tune assuming the rest of the hardware/woods are up to par, I'll take it!

broj15

Reaction score
I suggest holding out for a used rg7620 or rg1527. Just wait a week or 2 and i'm sure something will pop up on the classifieds on here, ebay, or the used section of guitar center. I've played an rg1527 and was exactly what i expect from an ibanez prestige: great feel and playability but no the best pickups (an easy fix). Same goes for the rg7620. Over all a really solid guitar if you can score one at the right price.

Progfather

Reaction score
If you don't mind having a signature guitar, the BS-7 might suit your needs perfectly.

The ESP Guitar Company | 2012 USA Website

:eek:That's actually a really sick guitar, and I don't mind signature guitars. As a matter of fact, I love a good handful of signature guitars, but the prices tend to be a bit over my budget. This guitar is $1,100 from what I see, and while it is fairly pricey that thing is decked out, seriously. Alder body, floyd rose, crunch lab + liquifire, maple neck + fretboard... Damn, great find. You may have just turned me on to a whole new axe. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem too popular so I might have a hard time finding one in a shop to get my hands on.

')