New Mastodon Album and Single - "Hushed and Grim" October 29th

• Thread starter aceshigh92
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Yeah, him and Brann are probably the most irreplaceable members as far as the "Mastodon sound" goes.

I've seen interviews with the band and stuff that alludes to a lot of the polishing of stuff into good songs is Bill though.

It's a shame that the person who seems to want to be in the band the least now is Brent.

Yeah, agreed. His vocals were great in small doses, and yeah he's got a great voice, but it's definitely changing the dynamics a bit too much now. To me at least.
New album next year apparently. I’d definitely take Hushed and Grim and Emperor of Sand over The Hunter and OMRTS so I’m hopeful it’s gonna be great.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
New album next year apparently. I’d definitely take Hushed and Grim and Emperor of Sand over The Hunter and OMRTS so I’m hopeful it’s gonna be great.

OMRTS is definitely overlooked in their library, I'd put my rankings as:

1. Crack the Skye
2. Blood Mountain
3. Emperor of Sand
4. Leviathan
5. Once More Round The Sun
6. Remission
7. The Hunter
8. Hushed and Grim
9. Call of the Mastodon

Nothing before Leviathan tickles my ivories so to speak, so for those who think this ranking is "wild" I don't care, and honestly, I might even swap Leviathan and OMRTS as the last few track on Leviathan are a little meandering, especially after seeing them performed live and thinking like, "was there supposed to be more to these?"

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score

1. Crack the Skye
2. Blood Mountain
3. Emperor of Sand
4. Leviathan
6. Remission
7. The Hunter
8. Hushed and Grim
9. Call of the Mastodon

Nothing before Leviathan tickles my ivories so to speak, so for those who think this ranking is "wild" I don't care, and honestly, I might even swap Leviathan and OMRTS as the last few track on Leviathan are a little meandering, especially after seeing them performed live and thinking like, "was there supposed to be more to these?"
My man

predator-handshake.gif

Reactions: MFB

fps

Kit
Reaction score

1. Crack the Skye
2. Blood Mountain
3. Emperor of Sand
4. Leviathan
6. Remission
7. The Hunter
8. Hushed and Grim
9. Call of the Mastodon

Relistened Once More this morning. The poppier more stadium elements blinded me to some magic stuff later on, Asleep In The Deep and Halloween especially. Bit of a weird tracklisting and vibe but really way stronger than I remembered. And Emperor of Sand is way up there for me too, though Leviathan is my number one.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Totally missed this thread…..I did download Hushed and Grim the month it came out and listen to it from time to time. I think it’s a good album.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For shits and giggles:

1) Crack The Skye
2) Leviathan
3) Remission
4) Blood Mountain
5) Cold Dark Place
6) Once More Around The Sun
7) Hushed And Grim
8) Emperor Of Sand
9) Pretty much all the remaining random Demo and EP material.
10) The Hunter

But really, everything can be separated into "1 to 5" and "6 to 10", the first four LPs were just magic, and at least CDP was different and sort of it's own thing. After that, releases got a lot spottier, for me at least. The Hunter is just so forgettable, and as I've said, H&G should have been half as long.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
For me there’s 2 Mastodons; pre-CTS and post-CTS Mastodon and I’m alllllllll for post-CTS Mastodon. I love the older stuff, these guys are easily my favorite band of the last decade+, but I REALLY love everything after CTS to the point I’d be hard pressed to put them in a ranking order.

And as much as I love all their vocals, I’m partial to Echo singing for them-

gabito

Advanced power chords user
Reaction score
I gave a (re) listen to their last few albums because of this thread, but my list hasn't changed:

1- Leviathan, because I like this one the most.
2- Crack The Skye is their best album, but I still like Leviathan the most.
3- Blood Mountain, because it's good but Leviathan and Crack The Skye exist.
4- Once More Around The Sun, because I thought they lost it after The Hunter but they still had a few good songs in them it seems. Also I like the album's cover.

Albums prior to Leviathan don't sound "like Mastodon" to me (whatever that means) and everything else is a blur and starts to sound all the same to me. I don't think they had anything interesting to say after Crack The Skye. Maybe they should wait 100 hundred years until they REAAAALLY have something worth recording to release new albums, like Tool does / did.

Also The Hunter is a piece of shit and it shows they used everything they had in Crack The Skye. I like the album's cover (and maybe two songs) though.

Also their videos are cool, no matter the album.

Latest posts

')