New Mastodon Album and Single - "Hushed and Grim" October 29th

• Thread starter aceshigh92
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The verse riff from Chimes at Midnight is sicker than any full song on Hunter

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Yeah, probably. :lol:

It's not a bad album, and at least folks know about it, you're like the fifth guy who can't even remember a OMRTS song. :lol:

Which isn't surprising because it's also probably one of the more lackluster (in context) of their post CTS albums.

The singles were solid, and yeah, that was just about peak touring form from them with Brent in a good place and Bill starting to take care of his alcoholism. I think the set was also very new material heavy because by that point none of them liked playing anything off the first two albums.
I saw them on that OMRTS tour and they couldn't vocally deliver the material. This was confirmed when I checked their Roskilde footage. It was a big step down from when I saw them in 06 and they laid waste to everything. Saw some 2022 footage the other day and their vocals seemed SIGNIFICANTLY better, like I have to see them again when they get to Europe.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
The verse riff from Chimes at Midnight is sicker than any full song on Hunter

Asleep In The Deep is a Top 10, possibly Top 5, Mastodon song. Been relistening Once More and enjoying it more than I did, for sure. Halloween rocks.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I saw them on that OMRTS tour and they couldn't vocally deliver the material. This was confirmed when I checked their Roskilde footage. It was a big step down from when I saw them in 06 and they laid waste to everything. Saw some 2022 footage the other day and their vocals seemed SIGNIFICANTLY better, like I have to see them again when they get to Europe.

We were talking about the tour for Hunter that they recorded Live at Brixton on. It came out in like 2014, but was recorded early 2012 I think.

Honestly, post CTS I think they got a lot spottier live in general, just more voices in the mix to have a bad day with. But in general, things have been on the upswing for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
We were talking about the tour for Hunter that they recorded Live at Brixton on. It came out in like 2014, but was recorded early 2012 I think.

Honestly, post CTS I think they got a lot spottier live in general, just more voices in the mix to have a bad day with. But in general, things have been on the upswing for the reasons I mentioned earlier.
Oh yeah fair enough. Brixton's a great venue, just survived an attempt by the council to close it down, if you can believe it. It's so frustrating, I want them to conquer the world, they deserve everything, and they just couldn't do those vocals consistently at that time. Yeah it's sounding amazing right now, I'm so excited that they'll have a new record out next year, and of course new signature gear \m/ 0_0 \m/
I want that Troy Sanders Fender bass, don't care where it's made. And I want something Bill Kelliher-y in vintage sunburst that isn't as overpriced as the current LTDs are....

Latest posts

')