New Mastodon Album. "Crack The Skye"

• Thread starter Loomer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drjenkins

Your Hero
Contributor
Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I was just watching "Quintessence" from the live stream, compare that to the live version of "Motherpuncher" from the Workhorse chronicles. No one can honestly say that Mastodon havn't lost it. With each album getting worse and worse I'm finding it harder to call myself a Mastodon fan. Back in the day the music was so intricate without being pretentious but it had passion. It's all gone now, I know they said they were deliberately going for a more commercial sound before "Blood Mountain", but fucking hell didn't they mean it.

Fred

Reaction score
I'm finding myself in an increasingly similar situation to ESP Griffyn each time I listen to it... Absolutely adore Remission and Leviathan, pretty unimpressed by Blood Mountain and just bored to tears by the new one. Bits of it are decent, but the rest of it sounds incredibly over-worked and already tired. :(.

cpnhowdy

Reaction score
Ive been able to listen to it twice so far and Im really enjoying it. Mastodon is the only band that I have bought all their albums in the past 15 years. I appreciate that they are not doing another Remission and Leviathan but taking their music to a different place. After two listenings, I woke up yesterday with Oblivion playing in my head.

razcasket

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
Iv listened to it a couple of times now and can't really make my mind up. I mean I like it, I'm just not sure I love it! It seems wierd not having Brann beating the hell out of his kit so much, I think thats one of their defining features, and I appriciate that this album has alot more meaning to it. I think it is definatley one of those albums that will grow on me, its just that in some places it seems a little TOO much like Tool. I think the only reason I am... not dissapointed... just not taken by it as much, is that I really love Mastodon, and was expecting something livlier, but then again I love the fact that they don't do what you expect, so its all good!

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I'm finding myself in an increasingly similar situation to ESP Griffyn each time I listen to it... Absolutely adore Remission and Leviathan, pretty unimpressed by Blood Mountain and just bored to tears by the new one. Bits of it are decent, but the rest of it sounds incredibly over-worked and already tired. :(.

+20 on that

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
"Oblivion" is totally the best track and guitar solo of the year for me. Just laying that out there :p

Dwellingers

Reaction score
I was just watching "Quintessence" from the live stream, compare that to the live version of "Motherpuncher" from the Workhorse chronicles. No one can honestly say that Mastodon havn't lost it. With each album getting worse and worse I'm finding it harder to call myself a Mastodon fan. Back in the day the music was so intricate without being pretentious but it had passion. It's all gone now, I know they said they were deliberately going for a more commercial sound before "Blood Mountain", but fucking hell didn't they mean it.

I can honestly say that. What a lame statement...metallica discussion all-over again...

Deschain

Reaction score
Picking this up for sure, just listening to the 2 tracks from the album on their myspace and its bloody great. The singer sounds a lot like ozzy at times and the instrumentation is fantastic. Blood Mountain was good, although the songs for me were kinda hit and miss, but I really like this. I really wanna see them live now.

TimothyLeary

Tune in, Drop out
Reaction score
i've been listen the albun since yesterday. Not so easy listening as the others, but I think is a good thing, their songs grow up. Some nice tunes, ambience, and the vocals are very different.

I think is a great album, it's really a step forward, and hard to keep this level, but I trust them.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
while i really like their old stuff, and absolutely hated blood mountain - the new record is just amazing. i think they finally found their way.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't hate blood mountain, but I just didn't like it as much. The new one though is absolutely brilliant.

TimothyLeary

Tune in, Drop out
Reaction score
while i really like their old stuff, and absolutely hated blood mountain - the new record is just amazing. i think they finally found their way.

didn't know that is possible to hate blood mountain. :scratch: I really like it, as the older stuff. :D

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
yeah, "hate" was possibly too hard...but it was really disappointing for me, as i had VERY high expectations on that record - and then i didnt like anything on it.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still addicted to this album. Definitely one of my favorites this year so far.

Auyard

Reaction score
I still wish they had the anger of the first few albums and it's not my favorite Masto album to date and I'll admit I was a bit disappointed. That being said, I'm addicted to the song Oblivion.

Latest posts

')