New Mattayus track! Really pleased with this one, please come listen!

• Thread starter Mattayus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Very little if anything. I was talking to Kalevala about this the other day actually - I spent an entire day mixing, EQ'ing everything, and the guitars just took FOREVER! So i thought i'd finished, i went away, listened to some music blah blah blah, then when i came back later to mix it down i thought "That EQ is TOTALLY unnecessary! it sounds like arse!", so i just took it off and it sounded much better by itself.

That said, i do tend to make the two 'inner' of the 4 guitar tracks thinner and more middy, i.e. the ones at 80% L/R. So i leave the ones at 100% L/R untouched, and EQ the 80s at around +2db @ 750hz, and -2DB at like 100hz etc, just to make them thin. On their own they sound like bollocks, but if you do that to them, and then turn them down, they melt in with the other 2 and make a very clear but full tone, it's tasty!

Also, ignore what i said about midday. I uploaded the song to myspace about 20 minutes ago and it's still 'processing', but keep checking to see if it appears! It's called "Re Dead".

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
Very little if anything. I was talking to Kalevala about this the other day actually - I spent an entire day mixing, EQ'ing everything, and the guitars just took FOREVER! So i thought i'd finished, i went away, listened to some music blah blah blah, then when i came back later to mix it down i thought "That EQ is TOTALLY unnecessary! it sounds like arse!", so i just took it off and it sounded much better by itself.

That said, i do tend to make the two 'inner' of the 4 guitar tracks thinner and more middy, i.e. the ones at 80% L/R. So i leave the ones at 100% L/R untouched, and EQ the 80s at around +2db @ 750hz, and -2DB at like 100hz etc, just to make them thin. On their own they sound like bollocks, but if you do that to them, and then turn them down, they melt in with the other 2 and make a very clear but full tone, it's tasty!

Also, ignore what i said about midday. I uploaded the song to myspace about 20 minutes ago and it's still 'processing', but keep checking to see if it appears! It's called "Re Dead".

why can't i get the link to your myspace working? it's Invalid Friend ID, right?

why am i being such a dunce today?

H

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
ah bollocks. erm, go here

EDIT:... infact don't fuckin bother, it's still processing!!! :scream: it's been 3 hours!!! I think the upload cocked up...

EDIT... again: Ok it's done, finally. Although i just realised how shit the mp3 quality is on myspace :( so take that into account when listening!

Reaction score
Great song and props for the nice harmonics.
I don't know why ,I have the same feeling when I listen to Iron Maiden Powerslave.And that's my Fav IM album.
Thanx for posting!

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Iron Maiden are one of my favourite bands of all time man, but I've never heard anyone get them from my music! Thanks though dude, I'm glad they're poking through! People say i sound like Meshuggah, which is weird, because i only got into them last year, Pantera is an obvious one, as is Metallica/Megadeth et al, but never Iron Maiden! :D Sweet

neon_black88

Reaction score
it sounds good man though one thing i noticed now it has too less highheads. the drums sounds great but something is missing for the finaal groove the simple 4/4 feel or maybe it was your intention i don't know.

I think the overall mix sounds a bit empty, sounds like theres lots of space for more frequencys or whatever. It's a much better quality recording than anything I've done, it sounds great, thats just my take on it.

But, really awsome song, awsome clean parts, cool solo, awsome sample choice.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks dude. I know exactly what you mean, and I think it's the bass. I've had lots of problems with the bass, getting it to 'fill out' nicely without getting boomy. I don't know what to do! I think I'll re-record it with less treble this time so i can turn it up without getting too much of the snap. Flatter, but louder, in other words.

Halp??

Ruins

Reaction score
by removing the mids out of bass you loose the clearness you get either bass ramble without clear definition of what its doing just for the heck of it just for being there or you get it boomy.
i would say just cut the mids on the recording
in my opinion you care for this detail way too much just get more volume to it and its great

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
just more volume on the bass? yeah that's what i figured, but if i do that you can hear too much of the clickity clack of the pick because i recorded it with too much treble i think!

Also, are you saying I should cut the mids from the bass? Sorry, i'm just not quite sure what you mean! :scratch:

Ruins

Reaction score
and there is nothing wrong with hearing the clickity clack of the pick bass is also guitar and i think should be treated like one as well but its subjective thing.
i am saying don't cut the mids on bass cut them if you want or need on the record.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
bass is also guitar and i think should be treated like one as well but its subjective thing.

I disagree, personally. Yeah, there are obvious similarities, but it works better if they're treated as different kinds of instruments.

What I usually do is look at what frequency range is being scooped from the guitars and boost that range in the bass. IIRC, 400Hz or so is a good range to boost for some oomph and clarity in the bass.

Ruins

Reaction score
yeah me too. i was referring to the clickity clack of the pick i don't see anything wrong to hear it in fact i think it adds more definition and presents to what bass does.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the problem is the active eq controls on my actual bass guitar. i have the bass and mid in the middle and the treble all the way up at the moment, and i think that's what's making the bass sound thin and not come through enough. I need to have the bass all the way up too i think, leave the mid where it is, then it'll be fat and punchy without taking over the rest of the mix

TonalArchitect

Augmented Chords!
Reaction score
I just thought I'd add that the track is pretty well amazing, and that my only complaint was the rather hollow, clicky bass drum sound.

Also the sampling in the track was epic.

:metal:

Edit: sounds better on a system with bass (not crappy computer speakers), but still a tad harsh.

Amazing work though.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I think the problem is the active eq controls on my actual bass guitar. i have the bass and mid in the middle and the treble all the way up at the moment, and i think that's what's making the bass sound thin and not come through enough. I need to have the bass all the way up too i think, leave the mid where it is, then it'll be fat and punchy without taking over the rest of the mix

Well that's probably part of your problem, but if you boost the bass and treble all the way, then your mids will be gone. I'd actually recommend boosting mids and bass to taste and leaving the treble pretty tight. That area of the spectrum is best left for guitars to fill. Bass actually doesn't need much treble to be full and present.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
No but I do like it to have that attack and 'rattle' to it. Fuck it, i'll turn'em all up and see how it sounds.

I just thought I'd add that the track is pretty well amazing, and that my only complaint was the rather hollow, clicky bass drum sound.

Also the sampling in the track was epic.

:metal:

Edit: sounds better on a system with bass (not crappy computer speakers), but still a tad harsh.

Amazing work though.

Thanks dude! And yes, i scooped the living shit out of the kick, mercilessly killing the 150-250hz range which is where the actual sound of the skin is, which is probably why it's so hollow! i shall dial it back in though, and kill some of the click methinks

Latest posts

')