New Mattayus track! Really pleased with this one, please come listen!

• Thread starter Mattayus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KaLeVaLA

Sir Mix-A-Lot
Reaction score
sweet man :) I really enjoyed the clean parts...epic!
So yeah....great work as allways bro :)

Sindwulf

Reaction score
I think the intro part is definitely not too long :) I also think it flowed beautifully. The Evil Dead sample paired with the pretty part lost it's haunting overtone but that's not a bad thing! Very nice job!

Plankis

Reaction score
Add some reverb to the clean guitar in the beginning.
Same problem @ 1.30, the leads has alot of reverb but not the clean guitar. the cleans feels too "up in the front" compared to the other instruments.

I would like the bass to be a bit louder or if you add some dBs in the 300-800hz area so it growls more.

The song itself was awesome, i really liked it.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks dudes :scream:

Add some reverb to the clean guitar in the beginning.
Same problem @ 1.30, the leads has alot of reverb but not the clean guitar. the cleans feels too "up in the front" compared to the other instruments.

I would like the bass to be a bit louder or if you add some dBs in the 300-800hz area so it growls more.

The song itself was awesome, i really liked it.

ok dude thanks!

Do you mean the bass in the heavy parts? I'm always scared of not getting a 'flat' or 'even' enough mix. I've noticed some of my older mixes are nuts on bass. I'll think they're ok, but then when I A/B them with some pro bands i'm like "WOAH THATS BASSY!!".

Plankis

Reaction score
Yeah, on the heavy parts it disappears, adding some dBs in that area usually makes the bass cut through easier. It's that growl I'm missing though, you don't need to add more bass frequencies to it.

I got the exact same problem. I've always wondered how the pros makes the bass and kick so punchy without making a big boost between 50-200hz. I've imported dream theaters forsaken in my daw and looked on that song with a frequency analyser. That song has almost no difference between the bass and high mids.
In my mixes there's always a 10 db difference between bass and high mids. And then people says it's not enough bass in it...

Fred

Reaction score
Hahaha, love those straight-up metal pinches!

Great stuff in general, I'd forgotten the kind of sounds you can get out of Beatcraft. If only they hadn't cut the cymbal trails so ridiculously short for no apparent reason!

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, on the heavy parts it disappears, adding some dBs in that area usually makes the bass cut through easier. It's that growl I'm missing though, you don't need to add more bass frequencies to it.

I got the exact same problem. I've always wondered how the pros makes the bass and kick so punchy without making a big boost between 50-200hz. I've imported dream theaters forsaken in my daw and looked on that song with a frequency analyser. That song has almost no difference between the bass and high mids.
In my mixes there's always a 10 db difference between bass and high mids. And then people says it's not enough bass in it...

Yeah, exactly! It's a fucker.

Hahaha, love those straight-up metal pinches!

Great stuff in general, I'd forgotten the kind of sounds you can get out of Beatcraft. If only they hadn't cut the cymbal trails so ridiculously short for no apparent reason!

Thanks man, yeah beatcraft's a stupid fucker for that!

I'm also becoming unsure about the guitar tone. What does everyone think of it? You like it?

I was going for something in between the brutal hollow djent djent feel a la Mnemic etc, and the rich tube-like nature of bands like Evergrey... not sure if it paid off :lol:

Reaction score
I'm fuckin diggin the part at about 2:53. This flows really well from one riff to the next. Overall great job and great sound.:hbang:

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks!!

I hate to do this, again, but I've changed my tone... again, and gone back to the previous one believe it or not. I know, I know, I keep doing this to all my songs but i really like the previous tone i had (the one on No More Room In Hell, but I tweaked it a tiny bit and made it much more kickass! Less hissy, more awesome). I re-recorded the rhythm guitars on this track earlier today, i'll mix it down and post it up later on.

I change my tone like i change my pants, but i was just trying something different with this song. I've been listening to a lot more softer metal lately. Stuff like Primal Fear and Evergrey, and the more you listen to something the more attracted you get to the tone. But their tone is like a full on creamy tube type thing, so it doesn't really suit my music. where-as my older tone did.

It's more aggressive, more djenty, it has more bite too it, more scooped and just heavier. Anyway, you'll see..

HotSh0t_

Music Lover #8124
Reaction score
Nice work dude. I loved the solo and the part at 5:29 really had me headbanging. :metal:

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
Sweet thanks!

Ok it's updated now (finally!)

<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
<a href='http://www.soundclick.com/mattayus'>
<div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
<div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
<param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
<param name="loop" value="false" />
<param name="menu" value="false" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=6985467&scid=6985467&q=hi&ext=1&autoplay=0" />
<param name="scale" value="noscale" />
<param name="salign" value="b" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
</object></div></div>

New rhythm guitar tone, and bass tone, and a much better balanced mix IMO

Ruins

Reaction score
it sounds good man though one thing i noticed now it has too less highheads. the drums sounds great but something is missing for the finaal groove the simple 4/4 feel or maybe it was your intention i don't know.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
you said that last time Hal, i'm beginning to think its all a conspiracy!

seriously though... what about myspace? click my banner anytime from midday onwards and i'll have it on there too!

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
you said that last time Hal, i'm beginning to think its all a conspiracy!

seriously though... what about myspace? click my banner anytime from midday onwards and i'll have it on there too!

did i man? sorry. it's just a continuous problem i've got here with it. very odd.

so might you be putting up your pod patches anywhere at all? i seem to remember your tones are rather sterling, plus i'm using BKPs as well (although i've now sold my painkillers-equipped RG7620)

H

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah man i keep meaning to get the patch everytime i plug my pod into the computer, but then i do recording instead and i forget! i'll get it soon though, promise!

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
yeah man i keep meaning to get the patch everytime i plug my pod into the computer, but then i do recording instead and i forget! i'll get it soon though, promise!

would be well useful actually, having a BKP-based tone. do you add much in mixing beyond the tone itself?

H

')