New Mesa 2x12 Recto Vertical (Poll: Does this stack have a name?)

Is this a 3/4 stack or something else?

• Total voters

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Semi unrelated but I feel it's kinda part of this thread, obviously no shade at @Grindspine as this seems to be a living room rig of assembled gear, but I see some touring bands doing the stacked 212 thing, and to me it makes no sense? Granted, I've never toured this way nor played a stacked 212 rig for more than a few minutes, so not sure if the sound is different but for a touring rig, loading and stacking 2 212s to essentially just have a 412 seems...laborious. Id rather move 90-100lbs once than 60 pounds twice, personally. Am I wrong?
I used to move a lot of equipment between helping friends' bands and working at a radio station. Sometimes, mobility makes gear decisions. Note the rack system is 2x 4u racks. It is just easier for me to carry the 2:ninety in a rack by itself than to carry a fully loaded 95 pound rack. Noteworthy, the Road King 2x12 is about 63 lbs, but only has a single top strap handle. The vertical 2x12 is 75 lbs, but is easier to carry since it has side handles.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Semi unrelated but I feel it's kinda part of this thread, obviously no shade at @Grindspine as this seems to be a living room rig of assembled gear, but I see some touring bands doing the stacked 212 thing, and to me it makes no sense? Granted, I've never toured this way nor played a stacked 212 rig for more than a few minutes, so not sure if the sound is different but for a touring rig, loading and stacking 2 212s to essentially just have a 412 seems...laborious. Id rather move 90-100lbs once than 60 pounds twice, personally. Am I wrong?
I have matching 2x12s and 4x12s of different cabs (Vader and Mesa OS) and the 2x12s do have a very different tone than the 4x12 versions. So it could be a tone thing.

I plan on using 2 2x12s at shows, but there'll be one on each side of the stage for some spread. I agree that I'd rather just load in one large cab. However, if one of them has casters, it'd be trivial to stack and roll em in together. Could conceivably make it easier to get em on stage.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I have matching 2x12s and 4x12s of different cabs (Vader and Mesa OS) and the 2x12s do have a very different tone than the 4x12 versions. So it could be a tone thing.

I plan on using 2 2x12s at shows, but there'll be one on each side of the stage for some spread. I agree that I'd rather just load in one large cab. However, if one of them has casters, it'd be trivial to stack and roll em in together. Could conceivably make it easier to get em on stage.
2 212's Separated on stage makes 100% sense to me, I just always wondered why anyone would purposefully put two 212s stacked versus one 412, specifically.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Ever play through a Mesa OS 4x12? They can get both boomy on the lows and fizzy on the highs. Mesa offers a Traditional size 4x12 (similar size to Marshall 1960), which supposedly sounds a bit tighter than the OS 4x12, but I haven't had the opportunity to play one.

The 2x12 has a bit more tightness. Emphasis on the highs and lows are both shifted toward the middle a bit. Two stacked 2x12 horizontal cabs will definitely have a tighter tonal focus than the OS 4x12. Tonal differences between 2x12 and 4x12 can definitely be a factor.

Hammertone

Reaction score
Bah, humbug!
Mesa-Mini-Stack.jpg

')