New Mesa cab full stack help

Russellmania

Reaction score
Hi there, I just bought a mesa cab with v30s to go with my orange PPC4x12HP8 which has K100 speakers in it. My amp is a Bugera 333xl. Both cabs to my knowledge are 8ohm cabs. I'm trying to run a full stack so here is my dilemma.

The orange cab runs 16ohms stereo instead of 4 ohms like normal for the thunderverb 200 head(I'm pretty sure i don't even need that jack but I'm worried about how the speakers are wired). I'm pretty sure i just take a speaker cable from one out of the bugera to the 8ohm mono on the mesa, and a speaker cable from the other out on the bugera to the 8ohm mono on the orange and run the bugera at 4ohms setting correct? (pictures of both jacks posted)

This is a side question can anyone tell from the pictures I'm posting what kind of mesa cab it is. example- Is it a recto or a roadster. or is it standard or over-sized. i haven't seen very many mesa cabs with that wicker grill so that's why I'm wondering.also i bought it off craigslist and forgot to ask the seller(pics of cab also posted)

Attachments

• IMG_1973.jpg
    IMG_1973.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1976.jpg
    IMG_1976.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1977.jpg
    IMG_1977.jpg
    875 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1974.jpg
    IMG_1974.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Djentliman

wants a diff name!
Reaction score
First off, HNCD! That looks like a very sexy cab, mind telling us how much you got it for?

And you sir are very correct on how to wire it! Of course it took me a couple of reads to get how you thought you should do it but either way, you are correct!

Hope you enjoy your Full stack while bringing Satan to his knees with that awesome combination!

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The Mesa looks like an older oversized Recto. I forget when, but they started adding the parallel out to Recto cabs several years ago.

And you're correct in running the Bugera at 4ohms into the 8ohm input of each cab :yesway:

Basically, when you're running two cabs out of a single head, split the impedance of one of the cabs in half because the head will be sending out (in your case) a 4ohm load "twice" equaling 8ohms into each cab.

Edit: :ninja:'d

vick1000

Reaction score
Think of the cabs as an individual speaker. If it 8 ohms per cab, and the speaker outs on the amp are parallel, it's the same as running two 8ohm speakers in parallel, which would be 4ohms.

Russellmania

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Djentliman.Thank you guys so much for your help! I am super stoked now that i know its going to work. i was holding out for a mesa cause they are amazing and plus they seem to be one of the only brands that have the 8ohm v30s so i could have the full stack. I got it for $250 which i think is a steal (hopefully :cool:). It seems most of them go $500 to $600 used in better condition. The guy i bought it from was moving across the country so he didn't want to take it with him. :hbang:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
$250 is a really good deal on a Mesa in even worse shape than that :yesway: great find! I had a similar one a few years back when I bought a Marshall JCM900 cab for $175 because the guy was moving and there was a rip in the tolex :D

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Nice grab, and good that you planned ahead.
So many guys buy first and worry about hooking it up later, only to find they don't match up.

I'm predicting you'll eventually be tempted to swap 2for2 speakers so that both cabs have the v30/k100 x-pattern.
Having two differently voiced cabs is also nice for the options. (depending on guitar and/or head)

Russellmania

Reaction score
Awesome Thanks! It always blows my mind how high the resale value is on mesa gear. So when i seen it on Craigslist i knew i had to pull the trigger on it fast because of the price. Dang that's an awesome steal on that Marshall :).