New MESHUGGAH Ibanez 8 string signature model WOOT!

• Thread starter FrancescoFiligoi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

That_One_Person

Gotta link for that?
Reaction score
The price really doesn't bother me. I can't afford it, but I don't see the big deal. As others have said, this is a really niche guitar. Ibanez would probably lose money if they made it into a standard mij sig. The only people I can see buying it are either a) very successful with a love for ibanez or b) die-hard Meshuggah fans.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sojorel

Scourge
Reaction score
omg such a catch 33 i wanted this to happen so bad but at the same time didn't want to cause i want it SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad but will have to basically "suck dick for crack (insert meshuggah sig)" for it...

FTFY

Demiurge

Reaction score
I don't see how this would rule-out the possibility of differently-tiered models.

There are plenty of signature guitar series out there with different pricing points- most important, the model that is exactly what the artist is playing and usually the budget variations (i.e. JEM555, JS100, ESP LTD version of artist models, etc.) follow. This is obviously the former, and you really can't have the latter without having the former. So, there's really no reason to believe that a Prestige/Premium/"Regular" version won't pop-up at some point; in fact, this would only make the chances of it happening more likely.

Animus

Reaction score
5 grand plus for that and it looks pretty much like your generic boring Ibby but with one pickup and 30 in scale? no thanks You mine as well just go custom shop at a good luthier and get exactly what you want in feature, fit and finish.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Jesus christ, this is EXACTLY why I've stopped listening to this board when it comes to guitar opinions.

This is EXACTLY the same specs as Meshuggahs guitars. It's a high spec, high quality build. EXACTLY what EVERYONE was pining for. And you still bitch and moan!

It's a SIGNATURE model. Where the people whining about the headstock/body shape trolling? it's EXACTLY what Meshuggah use!

If it was cheaper, it probably wouldnt have the pickup it does and you all would have a fat cry.

Ibanez have produced a neck thru, extended range, undgren pickup 8 string. And FINALLY a signature 8 string model guitar. For Meshuggah. Those 3 points alone are amazing. Yet you all still whinge. Go back to your cork sniffing!

VILARIKA

Reaction score
5 grand plus for that and it looks pretty much like your generic boring Ibby but with one pickup and 30 in scale? no thanks You mine as well just go custom shop at a good luthier and get exactly what you want in feature, fit and finish.

The point is that it's a signature guitar. Those specs aren't being tailored to you, so if you aren't into those specs, look elsewhere. It's for those that want to get as close as they can to owning a Meshuggah guitar, or those who happen to be interested in the guitar anyways.

Reaction score
Jesus christ, this is EXACTLY why I've stopped listening to this board when it comes to guitar opinions.

This is EXACTLY the same specs as Meshuggahs guitars. It's a high spec, high quality build. EXACTLY what EVERYONE was pining for. And you still bitch and moan!

It's a SIGNATURE model. Where the people whining about the headstock/body shape trolling? it's EXACTLY what Meshuggah use!

If it was cheaper, it probably wouldnt have the pickup it does and you all would have a fat cry.

Ibanez have produced a neck thru, extended range, undgren pickup 8 string. And FINALLY a signature 8 string model guitar. For Meshuggah. Those 3 points alone are amazing. Yet you all still whinge. Go back to your cork sniffing!

huh?

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Huge congrats to my buds! :metal: I've been telling them for years they were way more deserving of a sig than say, someone like....Sam Whatshisface :rolleyes:

It'll be interesting to see one of these up close, and how they compare to the actual LACS's...for that kind of money, hopefully they will also incorporate the worn, buttery feel of the originals, which are very comfortable. There are a very few minor differences, the most major being the bridge - the originals have the modified Lo-Pro's, which really are a much better and solid unit.

One design aspect that should have been included -and on the originals too - is a string retainer bar above the nut to bring the string angle on the nut downward so that the string doesn't go sharp when you tighten the nut blocks down. This was a bit of a headache when restringing theirs (especially if needed quickly), and had to learn to compensate by deliberately tuning very slightly flat initially, then clamp the block down, and then adjust at the fine tuner slightly. Otherwise, having the bar would minimize tuning time overall.

Well, you guys wanted it - there you go.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
After reading 9 pages of bitchin' I'll add my view on it :lol:
The price was totally expected to me, it's made in japan by a master builder, and is an Ibanez, a company which is known for its over priced signatures and high ends compared to specs... (I'm not trolling, really :D )
Scale length seems a bit odd but between 29.4" and 30.2" it doesn't really makes much difference in term of tone and feel. The tuning is odd tho, maybe it's their tuning on the new album :D
My conclusion : a very nicely built guitar, priced around ESP custom shop standards, that will only appeal to the most hardcore and wealthy Meshuggah fans (I didn't say fanboys :lol: )

Reaction score
Huge congrats to my buds! :metal: I've been telling them for years they were way more deserving of a sig than say, someone like....Sam Whatshisface :rolleyes:

It'll be interesting to see one of these up close, and how they compare to the actual LACS's...for that kind of money, hopefully they will also incorporate the worn, buttery feel of the originals, which are very comfortable. There are a very few minor differences, the most major being the bridge - the originals have the modified Lo-Pro's, which really are a much better and solid unit.

One design aspect that should have been included -and on the originals too - is a string retainer bar above the nut to bring the string angle on the nut downward so that the string doesn't go sharp when you tighten the nut blocks down. This was a bit of a headache when restringing theirs (especially if needed quickly), and had to learn to compensate by deliberately tuning very slightly flat initially, then clamp the block down, and then adjust at the fine tuner slightly. Otherwise, having the bar would minimize tuning time overall.

Well, you guys wanted it - there you go.

It's little shit like this that shows you that Alan really knows his shit :lol:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

Irony. And not the Alanis Morissette style either, it's actual Irony.

Cork sniffer bit aside, I still agree with the quoted statement and many others, all the complaints are extremely baffling.

But then it wouldn't have the same specs, and so you might as well just get an RG2228 or RGA8.

Neither do the budget versions of the JS, Jem and MTM models among others. Ibanez may even build lower budget version of these sigs in the not too distant future much like the aforementioned sigs. Naturally, of course the specs will be different, and naturally, people in the internet will complain about those also. :lol:

Reaction score
But then it wouldn't have the same specs, and so you might as well just get an RG2228 or RGA8.

Same scale, same finish, single pup, lower grade wood, MII or something like that? They could cut huge chunks of cost out. Hopefully it does well enough to warrent a two tier deal. Herman Ri and Sam Tatertot dont need sigs anyways :D

KarlMagnusRobin

Köttbullar är fint..
Reaction score
Same scale, same finish, single pup, lower grade wood, MII or something like that? They could cut huge chunks of cost out. Hopefully it does well enough to warrent a two tier deal. Herman Ri and Sam Tatertot dont need sigs anyways :D

This.

As their MII stuff has stepped up quite a lot the latest years I wouldnt mind at all getting a made in indonesia M8M, hopefully they will do this if this Limited model sells well!! :)

FrancescoFiligoi

Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis
Reaction score

Is it me, or are you bitchin about the bitchin?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it me, or are you bitchin about the bitchin?

I think he's making a valid point about how you can't please anyone, ever, unless you give them all for nothing.

I see a lot of bitching in this thread, but not all too much from Captain. ;)

djinn314

Reaction score
I'm just happy as a Meshuggah fan because I think they've deserved it. It's quite an accomplishment too. I mean I could only dream of one day having my own signature model lol

FrancescoFiligoi

Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis
Reaction score
I think he's making a valid point about how you can't please anyone, ever, unless you give them all for nothing.

I see a lot of bitching in this thread, but not all too much from Captain. ;)

I agree about the fact everytime something new comes out, there's the usual complaining (or, bitching) about specs etc etc...you know better than me.

But I cannot blame people complaining about the price: Meshuggah's following is mainly young people who cannot afford a guitar whose price is that high. I mean, it's a goddamn gorgeous guitar and the quality must be top notch! But the price kinda kills all the excitement for it imho.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with the fact everytime something new comes out, there's the usual complaining (or, bitching) about specs etc etc...you know better than me.

But I cannot blame people complaining about the price: Meshuggah's following is mainly young people who cannot afford a guitar whose price is that high. I mean, it's a goddamn gorgeous guitar and the quality must be top notch! But the price kinda kills all the excitement for it imho.

Metal will always have younger fans, but Meshuggah isn't a new band. They've been on the scene since the late 80's and early 90's. I remember a lot of the guys I know listening to them in Middle School (in our early teens). Those guys are now in proffesional careers, and I'm sure more than a few could get this if they want.

You know what's really funny, I remember having this same discussion regarding Korn back in the day. :lol:

Daar

Reaction score
9 pages of bitching about price
but i have a question

why maple/bubinga???
as far as i remember from the interview - they had a maple/wenge neck..
maybe i should ask meshuggah themselves about it, but any idea's??

')