New MESHUGGAH Ibanez 8 string signature model WOOT!

• Thread starter FrancescoFiligoi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
So, I'm not personally interested in these (they're not lefty for starters) but I'd like to make an observation about the bitching and the bitching about the bitching...

It seems like the people who are bitching about the bitching are treating this board like it is one entity, as though the entire board thinks with one mind. So far, we've seen people who want this, people who want it and can't afford it, and people who think the price/specs/whatever aren't appealing. Now, before bitching about the bitching, some of you may want to consider that individuals that fall into that latter category may or may not even be individuals who were creaming themselves at the prospect of owning a Meshuggah sig in the first place. Now, I'm not saying that whining isn't annoying or that people aren't fickles shitheads, I'm just saying that maybe people should think things through and apply some logic before getting bent out of shape.

You know what's really funny, I remember having this same discussion regarding Korn back in the day. :lol:

Except Korn have pretty much always had this image of, "They'll probably play whatever's put in front of them, as long as it has 7 strings." Whereas people view Meshuggah's guitars as being built from pieces of the ark of the covenant or some shit. So, it was a lot more viable to put out a Korn sig that was lower end; it didn't fuck with the image.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Except Korn have pretty much always had this image of, "They'll probably play whatever's put in front of them, as long as it has 7 strings." Whereas people view Meshuggah's guitars as being built from pieces of the ark of the covenant or some shit. So, it was a lot more viable to put out a Korn sig that was lower end; it didn't fuck with the image.

I was referring to the notion that Meshuggah's fanbase is just broke kids, not folks who have been into them for over two decades and are working proffesionals with the money to show for it.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I was referring to the notion that Meshuggah's fanbase is just broke kids, not folks who have been into them for over two decades and are working proffesionals with the money to show for it.

Yeah. I get that. I was just pointing out that, from a marketing standpoint, Ibanez probably don't have the same intentions with Meshuggah that they have with regards to Korn. And I'm sure the bands themselves have different ideas with regards to it too.

Xk6m6m5X

Reaction score
so ibanez offically make every peice of gear i could ever need...except for my amp and bbe sonic stomp...i hate ibanez -_-...they make me want to spend money i dont have

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's great they finally gave them a sig model especially when I said something about Ibanez building them 8 strings years ago everybody said BS Ibanez would never do it, now they even have a Sig model, but here's what I don't get.. Big companies put out guitars over sales, hence why certain players are great and many of us on here may like them, but they never get a sig model... (So assuming it's true that it's not limited to a select few pieces) I don't get why some of these companies put out a sig model which clearly has the main interest from that bands fans, that's essentially $5k... when the mass majority of their fans can't afford that.. Just like the Adam D Parker that 99.5% of Killswitch Engage fans couldn't afford...and what made it even funnier is when Adam was in town recently he said he had nothing but problems with the Parkers that they haven't been built remotely as good since Washburn took over and he's now playing PRS.

I know several people are hoping for a budget model.... but it seems like they're doing it backwards. You would think they'd put out a good quality Sig. like the K7 are built and do a limited number of the more expensive ones to start if anything. Or maybe that's their whole thought in not limiting it so it doesn't sell purely as a collector piece, they want to gauge how many people will pay that for a normal well built model...and if they get some decent sales then they will eliminate the biggest obstacle for consumers, extremely high price.... But than that worries me it'd turn into a budget model made of basswood with some goofy inlay and/or different pickup. :wallbash:
Now don't go flame on how "well it's handbuilt by dwarves etc" I'm not questioning that if it's being built in the factory shown that it will be a fine guitar. It's just the guitar is still a production guitar, just built to better than most their models specs, but charging custom shop prices if not even more. That pickup retails for $245 and you can buy a standard model 7 w/ 2 humbuckers for around $2k... so realistically you should be able to get this guitar for $2500-3000. I'm just stating that you sure seem to be paying a lot for a name and an artist royalty to get something that I'm sure will have more machines involved than most custom luthiers raved about on this site, all of which could build 2 of these for that price and at arguably better quality.

Thoughts?

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Korn is also about 8 million times more popular man.

That too. Although, this guitar doesn't really have any aesthetics that would be out of place if it weren't a sig. So, if they released a lower end model, I don't think they'd have a problem selling them to people that weren't specifically into Meshuggah (the scale would be the only thing I could see being prohibitive)

Insanity

Nurturer
Reaction score
This is awesome!
So happy that they finally get an official sig with Ibanez!. It's long overdue if you ask me!.
I mean, who'd be more fitting for an 8-string sig than these guys? :)

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
So Allen, am i right about the scale length being a sort of middle/minimum measure of the intonation points?

And way back you mentioned their next LACS being something really interesting, and no-one could guess what it would be. Is this it, or is that still on it's way?

Phrygian

Lefty
Reaction score
I'm taking a wild guess saying this is not their unguessable LACS seeing this sig was kinda inevetable and expected. Still awesome, just not a huge surprise.

I'm guessing what Allen was talking about is gonna be something totally unexpected, with huge, glowing side dots:lol:

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
So Allen, am i right about the scale length being a sort of middle/minimum measure of the intonation points?

And way back you mentioned their next LACS being something really interesting, and no-one could guess what it would be. Is this it, or is that still on it's way?

Dude, typically "scale length" is twice the length from the nut to the 12th fret. I don't get why you are so convinced that it's actually longer scale than it really is.

Scordare

Reaction score
Its awesome that Meshuggah finally has a sig...but wow....this guitar does absolutely nothing for me. 1 pickup?!...edge 3 fixed on another 2k+ black guitar?! ..maybe if it was an Iceman body, despite the neck dive.. Sorry Ibanez but the money for my next ERG will still be going to Agile or Carvin.

Reaction score
Its awesome that Meshuggah finally has a sig...but wow....this guitar does absolutely nothing for me. 1 pickup?!...edge 3 fixed on another 2k+ black guitar?! ..maybe if it was an Iceman body, despite the neck dive.. Sorry Ibanez but the money for my next ERG will still be going to Agile or Carvin.

Pretty big quality difference between an Agile and this, especially if Max is saying this shop puts out things better than J customs. I can understand opting for a custom...but not a Carvin or especially an Agile... :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
something that I'm sure will have more machines involved than most custom luthiers raved about on this site

Not this again. :lol:

I don't think I have to tell you that CNC machines don't spit out finished guitars, far from it. Nor do I have to go into detail of all of the revered builders who employ their use on a large scale.

I think the quality of Thorn, Suhr, Anderson, KxK, PRS, etc. speaks for itself.

Reaction score
Not this again. :lol:

I don't think I have to tell you that CNC machines don't spit out finished guitars, far from it. Nor do I have to go into detail of all of the revered builders who employ their use on a large scale.

I think the quality of Thorn, Suhr, Anderson, KxK, PRS, etc. speaks for itself.

Plus they're not based in Mexico.

Scordare

Reaction score
Pretty big quality difference between an Agile and this, especially if Max is saying this shop puts out things better than J customs. I can understand opting for a custom...but not a Carvin or especially an Agile... :lol:

Quality...edge3?! :lol: I hear you on the Agiles but will the woods and construction be THAT much better than a Carvin?

It's a sig and I'm being too critical of features...but its only for the Meshuggah fan with deep pockets. I used to love Ibanez but they burned me with my Universe so I've become a hater now.. I'll get a lot more for less elsewhere.

Reaction score
Quality...edge3?! :lol: I hear you on the Agiles but will the woods and construction be THAT much better than a Carvin?

It's a sig and I'm being too critical of features...but its only for the Meshuggah fan with deep pockets. I used to love Ibanez but they burned me with my Universe so I've become a hater now.. I'll get a lot more for less elsewhere.

Well if you've played a J custom before, it's not exactly your run of the mill RG. I get what you're saying, there's no way I'd buy this even if I had money to burn as I'd probably just get another Vik but if someone digs these specs + loves meshuggah + loves ibanez I can see them springing for it.

Zonk Knuckle

Contributor
Reaction score

This will definitely be way better than Agile. But, really the only thing it will have over Carvin is the extra scale length, for those who want it. There's no way it will be noticeably higher quality than Carvin. They're arguably on the same level as PRS.

')