New MESHUGGAH Ibanez 8 string signature model WOOT!

• Thread starter FrancescoFiligoi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
<3

It was a troll. But I'm trying to get a thrash/death metal thing together... finding another 8 string guitarist is proving hard even though I have two drummers who are ready that don't have gigs yet. If I get that going, I would certainly buy another M8M and then yes, I would probably send one off to Mike Learn just to hear people cry.

It's really not an overpriced 8 string. Yes, it's very, very expensive... and Meshuggah fanbois probably cry at the price, but if you know what a well made CS piece feels like, these things are awesome. If mine got lost/stolen/broken I'd definitely buy another one. I'd cringe cause they are expensive, but they really are that well crafted.

If you did those mods to that M8M, everyone would neg rep you to death :)lol:).

But get one of the new RG8 models ($400) and do it to THAT guitar, you'd be the hero of ss.org!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
Putting the pricing issue aside for a minute, I'm all in for signature guitars/instruments that the artist _really_ do play and use. No matter how expensive they might be.

Kudos to Meshuggah, Billy Sheehan and everyone else who do this. :yesway:

..but back to the pricing, g*****n I'd like to have one of these, but unfortunately for that money I'd refinish the roof of my house and buy a new(used) car (which are priorities for me).

But to those who can (and will) get these - play them for the rest of us, too. :shred:

xenophobe

Reaction score
One of the reasons I really like the M8M is the scale length. I'm a guitarist who has played bass in most of the bands I've been in, the last couple I played fast-finger-single-note non-repetitive type technical death stuff on a 34" scale 4 string. I'm also used to playing the same material on a 25.5" scale guitar. I've played baritones which did nothing for me, and 7-string 25.5" scale, but the M8M with the 29.4 is a nice hybrid.

I realize there have been a number of manufacturers making ERGs since forever, but this is, as far as I know, the first hybrid guitar/bass/erg from a large manufacturer instead of custom guys making one-offs all the time.

You can play slap bass technique on the low strings or you can shred them like a guitar and shred the high strings... my action is set at about 2mm @ 24th for the high E.

Power chords even at the lowest notes ring out like they were struck on a piano... accurate and in pitch... and you don't get that cleanly in shorter scale 8 strings, from what I understand.

I know this is a really limited market guitar... it's made as the centerpiece for some adolescent's cat slaying Meshuggah alter of blood sacrifice hiding in some bedroom closet or is sitting in someone's collection and will be dead mint for the next 20 years... or it's purchased by a guitarist who doesn't have any bass experience, so they find it very un-guitar like and either get rid of them or just put them away. Then there's a few people who will actually play them.

After playing it many hours and getting black thumb from it, I can say it's one of the finest instruments I've ever played. It's not really a guitar, or a bass, but a really well made hybrid that can be played either way. I can actually imagine this guitar being used in a full blown orchestra by some virtuoso... it's really that well crafted.

I'd consider the 2228 or RG8, but I don't want the shorter scale.

Reaction score
Fedex brought mine this morning! Here's a very quick (read: sloppy playing) sound sample I put together. Signal chain is m8m -> vh4 -> recabinet
http://epistemic.org/mp3/song2_m8m.mp3

And here are some more m8m glamour shots. Sorry for the crappy phone camera quality
m8m_1.jpg

m8m_2.jpg

m8m_3.jpg

m8m_4.jpg

m8m_5.jpg

m8m_6.jpg

Onegunsolution

Brown man
Reaction score
This is one of the instruments I'd be afraid to be 2 feet near (Along with things like the ultra fancy Uli Jon Roth Sky guitar). Feel like my natural careless-ness would make it spontaneously combust and I'd be shot in the skull for doing so :lol: Hope to see one in person one of these days though :D

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
I'm really curious to see mine in person (gets here tuesday hglsblaughlauh) because they look kinda purple in some photos, kinda grey in others, and straight up black in those last few shots.

xenophobe

Reaction score
I'm really curious to see mine in person (gets here tuesday hglsblaughlauh) because they look kinda purple in some photos, kinda grey in others, and straight up black in those last few shots.

In person, it looks black, but the bubinga stripes do look purplish. It's one badass instrument.

xenophobe

Reaction score
These need ebony boards so bad :\

Normally, I would agree. I've owned a lot of customs... this is one of the most well-thought out designs I've ever played. Amazing fretwork, super low action, balanced tone from anywhere on the neck. Everything just feels right. Even acoustically, this thing just sounds great and plays awesome.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Mine got here today, and holy shit.

Build quality, playability, blah blah it's all perfect like everybody's been saying. The finish was a lot smoother and thinner than I was expecting- it comes out looking rather thick and tacky in most photos. Maybe the best feeling satin neck I've ever touched.

The thing that absolutely blows my mind is the CLARITY of the instrument. It must be a combination of the scale length and the low output pickup. I've never heard an 8-string with this kind of definition. I tuned it down to Eb as a joke and it STILL sounded incredibly tight.

I was expecting the scale length to be more of an issue, but I really didn't notice it at all after an hour of playing. It really does feel like a guitar/bass hybrid. So cool.

Anyway I am 100% in the honeymoon phase and it has made me kind of retarded but god damn I love this guitar

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
The thing that absolutely blows my mind is the CLARITY of the instrument. It must be a combination of the scale length and the low output pickup. I've never heard an 8-string with this kind of definition. I tuned it down to Eb as a joke and it STILL sounded incredibly tight.

The Lundgren M8 is DEFINITELY not low output. That thing is a screaming monster! Hot as hell!

The real trick is how it's voiced. It's exactly the type of voicing you need for clarity in low tunings :)

')