New MESHUGGAH Ibanez 8 string signature model WOOT!

• Thread starter FrancescoFiligoi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Iamasingularity

7string Ghost
Reaction score
If this goes for that ridoncolous price, I really hope they make a budget model and release it soon... It's not fuking okey to release this sig at collectors-item-prices, as this is something I and lots of others have been waiting for and really do want but NEVER will afford!

I hope I win on somekind of lottery, if I do I will definitley buy 2 of them!

... can't stop thinking about this guitar ...

Dude.....Stop dreaming/hoping and get a job brah. Its not ridiculous, after all the guitar is 1:1 copy of a sick guitar. As for the price, its expensive, but not "collector`s price". If you work hard enough and save instead of gassing on small pieces of crap, you might get it. If you`ve been waiting this for the past 7 years, which is when Hagstorm had pushed his idea to get the signatures into production, you would have definitely had the money to buy it by now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
Are meshuggah going to be tuning even lower for the new album?

No their tuning hasn't changed, the OP just left out the #s. This has been stated about 3 times in this thread already though...:cool:

I think one of the coolest aspects of this guitar is that it's neck through though, maybe if it's successful Ibanez may bring back the RGT range? I personally prefer bolt on necks but I do find it strange that Ibanez discontinued their RGTs...

EDIT: How ridiculously cool would an RGT RGD be :D RGTD :D

Iamasingularity

7string Ghost
Reaction score
No their tuning hasn't changed, the OP just left out the #s. This has been stated about 3 times in this thread already though...:cool:

I think one of the coolest aspects of this guitar is that it's neck through though, maybe if it's successful Ibanez may bring back the RGT range? I personally prefer bolt on necks but I do find it strange that Ibanez discontinued their RGTs...

EDIT: How ridiculously cool would an RGT RGD be :D RGTD :D

Just got a RGT to replace my battered 350dx. I really don`t know why they stopped making them :shrug:

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
Damn... this guitar looks amazing (even if it is out of my price range!).

Add a second pickup, and that is pretty much my ideal 8 string guitar, right there.

Iamasingularity

7string Ghost
Reaction score
You live in Japan, you should be getting j customs!

Ahh, unfortunatley I don`t see the J customs the same way as most of the people on here do. I`ve been fortunate to play a few in Ochanomizu, but I think they`re kind of over-rated Ibanez`s. Right now I`m really into crafting guitars and making a guitar that suits my needs. Still a Ibby fan though. Just got a used TR series bass with the modern guitar headstock, I fucking love it! Maybe a used J custom in the future, but brand new ones...nahh. I like the vintage Ibanez`s and am trying to collect some.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
You have to love the internet, really! :lol:

1 - people talk for years about how cool it would be to have a guitar just like Fred and Morten's;
2 - said discussion, after some time results in a guitar which is, safe for a minor difference in scale length, pretty much the same thing;
3 - guitar does come out as a limited edition, clearly aimed at the die-hard Meshuggah fanbase;
4 - people proceed to complain about price or specs, or both, and how Ibanez is ripping them off or it really should have a neck pickup, different wings, etc., i.e. turning Fred's axe into their own with Fred's name on it.

This is pretty much what tends to happen all the time, really. Considering the guitar in question, it was obvious (especially considering past examples from Ibanez) that it would have premium pricing right off the bat. The mind-boggling part is that so many people constantly complain about certain specs on what is basically a signature model, the very definition of which is to have the specs the artist in question favours himself. :shrug:

Thrashmanzac

plays in 69/42
Reaction score

1 - people talk for years about how cool it would be to have a guitar just like Fred and Morten's;
2 - said discussion, after some time results in a guitar which is, safe for a minor difference in scale length, pretty much the same thing;
3 - guitar does come out as a limited edition, clearly aimed at the die-hard Meshuggah fanbase;
4 - people proceed to complain about price or specs, or both, and how Ibanez is ripping them off or it really should have a neck pickup, different wings, etc., i.e. turning Fred's axe into their own with Fred's name on it.

This is pretty much what tends to happen all the time, really. Considering the guitar in question, it was obvious (especially considering past examples from Ibanez) that it would have premium pricing right off the bat. The mind-boggling part is that so many people constantly complain about certain specs on what is basically a signature model, the very definition of which is to have the specs the artist in question favours himself. :shrug:

this is pretty much what i was getting at with my previous post, however i think some people did not quite get the point i was trying to make and thought i was serious :lol:

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Well, the specs on this axe are definitely not something that speaks to me, so even if I could just shell out 5K for it, I wouldn't get it. It's great to have variety in the ERG market, however, and to see brands investing in them - what doesn't work for me may be totally awesome for you and vice-versa, so bring them on! :)

Reaction score
Thats my line of thinking too. What would be neat is if Lundgren releases a budget version of their pickups for ibanez to use in other models.

(i can dream)

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score

Same thing goes for Carvin 8 strings. After having so many people ask Carvin to make an 8 string that considerably longer than 25.5", they make a 27 inch scale 8 string, and for 2 pages straight, there are people complaining that it's not a 28" scale or multiscale.

rythmic_pulses

Bari/Bass VI Nerd
Reaction score
:wallbash:

Same thing goes for Carvin 8 strings. After having so many people ask Carvin to make an 8 string that considerably longer than 25.5", they make a 27 inch scale 8 string, and for 2 pages straight, there are people complaining that it's not a 28" scale or multiscale.

I have to agree with you there...

To be honest, a 27" 8 string would be fine with me, but that's personal choice, I'm a small guy so these "Extra Long" scale necks are something I just can't handle, even if I do like Meshuggah, to be honest I have always liked Fredrik and Marten's guitars, even their Nevborn's, but if people will moan and bitch about it only having one pickup and that the scale is too short then there is nothing that people won't moan about, there really is no pleasing some people I guess.... :shrug:

Iamasingularity

7string Ghost
Reaction score
Many people regret buying long scale necks after they discover that they find it hard to play, and the frets too wide. Its just like people wanting 27+ frets that they won`t be able to reach or play.:rolleyes:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score

But what about what *I* want?? :scream: :lol:

Don't like it? Buy something else... :shrug:

Monk

Reaction score
I must say that I've been lusting after this particular guitar ever since I saw the Straws Pulled at Random live video on the Nothing reissue. To me, the whole instrument just looks SICK. I haven't been this excited since Ibanez released the original K7 series (which I absolutely loved after years of playing an RG7421). Granted, I'd prefer not to spend over $2000 for a guitar, but I will certainly make an exception in this case. I dig the hell out of Meshuggah and their custom guitars, and if the quality is as good or better than a J Custom, then I can live with the price. I just need to casually avoid telling the wife. :p

sell2792

Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't find this all that special? Granted, it's cool they're going out on a limb and using different materials, electronics, and the extended scale, and I know they will sell quite a few, but at the end of the day it's a pretty bland guitar that's more or less a one trick pony.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Am I the only one who doesn't find this all that special? Granted, it's cool they're going out on a limb and using different materials, electronics, and the extended scale, and I know they will sell quite a few, but at the end of the day it's a pretty bland guitar that's more or less a one trick pony.

I think it's all about perspective. If you were here back in 06'/07' and even into 08' you'll see dozens of NGDs of guitars made by just about every builder you can imagine with these specs. Enough popped up that some folks, myself included, just started calling ~30" scale, single pickups, RG-esque, Black/Gray guitars "Meshuggah Specials". :lol:

People were spending upwards of $4k, sometimes more, and of course sometimes less, on these because they REALLY wanted what Marten and Fredrik were playing.

In the time between then and this being released the market, and this forum changed a lot. It went from high end, Japanese, American, or European made guitars to cheap Korean and Chinese made, and from Meshuggah to Tosin. If this had been released in 08' I think Ibanez could have charged $10,000 and people would still be gushing.

Monk

Reaction score
Actually, the more I think about it...it IS pretty special. So far, Sugi has made 3 high-profile J Custom level guitars: UV77RE, JSBDG and PGMFRM1. Think about that for a minute: Steve Vai (pretty obvious choice), Joe Satriani (also pretty obvious) and Paul Gilbert. Basically, three of Ibanez's biggest endorsers for the last 20 years or so. Now, add Meshuggah to that list. Not even the multi-platinum selling Korn...the band single-handedly responsible for bringing the 7-string guitar into the mainstream has a signature instrument like this (read: with an $8000 list price). Yes, this is pretty special. Kudos to Meshuggah on their achievement and kudos to Ibanez for recognizing it. :agreed:

Of course, if Ibanez DID want to create an authentic Korn anniversary/tribute/signature guitar...they'd have to create a relic'd Universe with lots of duct tape. That should run $10000 or so.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
I have to chime in here on the "one trick pony" thing. It's been all over the shares on facebook and the posts in this thread.

(I'm going to try and refrain from being snarky - haven't slept much this month... fucking acute bronchitis and walking pneumonia for the whole holiday season...)

That guitar can play ANY style of music. So it's not a George Benson sig with a neck pickup in the fabled sweet spot. So it's not a Jem with a Trem. So it's not a Steve Morse sig with 3,247 pickup switching options. So it's not a fucking 13th century arch lute.

It's also not a Steinberger GM1TA, but I've never thought of my Steinie as a one trick pony just because it only has one humbucker, and an EMG at that.

It will play dirty, clean, and everything in between.

If a guitar only plays one style, it's the player who is the one trick pony.

')