New MESHUGGAH Ibanez 8 string signature model WOOT!

• Thread starter FrancescoFiligoi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You have to love the internet, really! :lol:

1 - people talk for years about how cool it would be to have a guitar just like Fred and Morten's;
2 - said discussion, after some time results in a guitar which is, safe for a minor difference in scale length, pretty much the same thing;
3 - guitar does come out as a limited edition, clearly aimed at the die-hard Meshuggah fanbase;
4 - people proceed to complain about price or specs, or both, and how Ibanez is ripping them off or it really should have a neck pickup, different wings, etc., i.e. turning Fred's axe into their own with Fred's name on it.

This is pretty much what tends to happen all the time, really. Considering the guitar in question, it was obvious (especially considering past examples from Ibanez) that it would have premium pricing right off the bat. The mind-boggling part is that so many people constantly complain about certain specs on what is basically a signature model, the very definition of which is to have the specs the artist in question favours himself. :shrug:

Exactly. You know whats missing here? A big congratulations to Meshuggah. I don't see anyone talking about that. To me its all about validation as well because nevermind the fact that a signature model was way overdue for Meshuggah especially considering some of the bozos that came on the scene long after Meshuggah and got their signature models rather quickly. I'm glad Ibanez finally had the balls to create what amounts to a perfect replica of Meshuggah's guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I have to chime in here on the "one trick pony" thing. It's been all over the shares on facebook and the posts in this thread.

(I'm going to try and refrain from being snarky - haven't slept much this month... fucking acute bronchitis and walking pneumonia for the whole holiday season...)

That guitar can play ANY style of music. So it's not a George Benson sig with a neck pickup in the fabled sweet spot. So it's not a Jem with a Trem. So it's not a Steve Morse sig with 3,247 pickup switching options. So it's not a fucking 13th century arch lute.

It's also not a Steinberger GM1TA, but I've never thought of my Steinie as a one trick pony just because it only has one humbucker, and an EMG at that.

It will play dirty, clean, and everything in between.

If a guitar only plays one style, it's the player who is the one trick pony.

QFT

Reactions: XEN

rythmic_pulses

Bari/Bass VI Nerd
Reaction score
I think it's all about perspective. If you were here back in 06'/07' and even into 08' you'll see dozens of NGDs of guitars made by just about every builder you can imagine with these specs. Enough popped up that some folks, myself included, just started calling ~30" scale, single pickups, RG-esque, Black/Gray guitars "Meshuggah Specials". :lol:

People were spending upwards of $4k, sometimes more, and of course sometimes less, on these because they REALLY wanted what Marten and Fredrik were playing.

In the time between then and this being released the market, and this forum changed a lot. It went from high end, Japanese, American, or European made guitars to cheap Korean and Chinese made, and from Meshuggah to Tosin. If this had been released in 08' I think Ibanez could have charged $10,000 and people would still be gushing.

:agreed:

I couldn't have put it better my self, I remember the bandwagoning of 8's when they first came available to the public through the RG2228, after that, loads of companies started making 8 string guitars more available and less and less uncommon to see, I think this new signature is the most obvious step for Meshuggah to take in their long career, as their new Album is coming out in spring, why not make a signature guitar to go along with it? eh? :D

sell2792

Reaction score
....Of course, if Ibanez DID want to create an authentic Korn anniversary/tribute/signature guitar...they'd have to create a relic'd Universe with lots of duct tape. That should run $10000 or so.

I think they should just remake the K7's for around a grand and then everybody wins.

Edit: And maybe a K8 while they're at it.

KarlMagnusRobin

Köttbullar är fint..
Reaction score
Dude.....Stop dreaming/hoping and get a job brah. Its not ridiculous, after all the guitar is 1:1 copy of a sick guitar. As for the price, its expensive, but not "collector`s price". If you work hard enough and save instead of gassing on small pieces of crap, you might get it. If you`ve been waiting this for the past 7 years, which is when Hagstorm had pushed his idea to get the signatures into production, you would have definitely had the money to buy it by now.

Let me hope and dream dude! :) Im 20 years old and got no income at all as there is no fucking jobs in this forsaken dumbass country I live in, I apply for every job-opportunity I find but no ones hiring "a kid with no experience".. And when I do get a job Im sure as hell that I wont make that much money to even think of saving up to a guitar at this price even how much I do want it!

That's WHY I dream and hope for a bit more affordable model as this has the features I want in a guitar!

And Stop telling someone to "get a job", it's not that simple for everyone and it's quite frustrating for me to hear as Im in that situation!

Im probably going to have to build my own M8M out of a RGA8! Haha

Don't take this post in the wrong way, Im just being honest! :)

I WANT MOAR PICS OF IT!!!!! :D

Mindcrime1204

Reaction score
A lot of you are right though, these will be mostly going to fanboys (i feel weird saying this word) and not so much hardcore players, as between 5k-6k you can get a full-on custom from just about any builder on this site as everyone knows...

lol @ the "trollface on the bottom of the receipt after you've made the purchase" - i laughed a good bit at that.

I am however very pleased to see more 8s being made out of the ordinary

sell2792

Reaction score
A lot of you are right though, these will be mostly going to fanboys (i feel weird saying this word) and not so much hardcore players, as between 5k-6k you can get a full-on custom from just about any builder on this site as everyone knows...

Exactly. I'd rather have a Bernie Rico or like 2 or 3 Carvins for that kinda cash, made to my exact specifications, and actually probably still come out spending a little less.

Decipher

Ibanez Enthusiast
Reaction score
I for one am extremely excited and proud of Ibanez for this. Although they really should've released this 2-3 years ago better late than never. Regardless the price tag, these are gonna sell. There are buyers ready for these and have been for some time (myself included). This is just awesome for both Marten and Fredrik.

For the people bitching already about a price tag we have absolutely no confirmation on: :facepalm: Come on. As mentioned we KNEW these wouldn't be cheap. It never ceases to amaze me how much complaining and negativity there is on the internet. People demand a product for YEARS and now it's coming to the market..... but not for >$1000 so everyone's up in arms/ready to burn the villiage. I have no doubts this will be close to the $3000 range. Those whose arguement is solely that "you can get a full on custom for that price range or hell even 2." You're not bringing any new knowledge to the table. Anyone whom frequents this forum is fully aware what's available for what price ranges. But the fact of the matter is, you want the Meshuggah Signature 8 Ibanez here it is. It's not made by some other luthier to Fredrik's & Marten's specs it's crafted by Ibanez and is branded Ibanez like their Custom Shop Ibanez's.

Monk

Reaction score
m8mz.jpg

I feel this is an appropriate reponse to this guitar:

tumblr_loaih2PsHT1qm6sfao1_500.gif

Mindcrime1204

Reaction score
For the people bitching already about a price tag we have absolutely no confirmation on: :facepalm: Come on. As mentioned we KNEW these wouldn't be cheap. It never ceases to amaze me how much complaining and negativity there is on the internet. People demand a product for YEARS and now it's coming to the market..... but not for >$1000 so everyone's up in arms/ready to burn the villiage. I have no doubts this will be close to the $3000 range. Those whose arguement is solely that "you can get a full on custom for that price range or hell even 2." You're not bringing any new knowledge to the table. Anyone whom frequents this forum is fully aware what's available for what price ranges. But the fact of the matter is, you want the Meshuggah Signature 8 Ibanez here it is. It's not made by some other luthier to Fredrik's & Marten's specs it's crafted by Ibanez and is branded Ibanez like their Custom Shop Ibanez's.

I get where you're coming from. But not everyone is coming from the same place... and I feel that as long as I can state my opinion and thoughts in a fasion as to not upset anyone and stay on topic. I should be able to continue to do so on a discussion forum :hbang:

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
I think this was mentioned before, but the ESP Stephen Carpenter 8 Sig model goes for almost 4k. A black guitar, 27" scale, with EMG's, and Alder Body. If people are willing to pay that for the ESP then 3-4k is easily justifiable with a guitar like this. Most people at these prices will look into the custom route, but not everyone wants to wait years for some builders.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i'm not sure if i get the scale length. "almost 30 inches" seems to be an odd choice.

HOWEVER

i am assuming that it's measured to the innermost possible intonation point, or the middle, rather than the outmost point. Remember, when adjusting intonation, you are technically adjusting the scale length of individual strings, by a tiny amount.

Maybe it's 30.5" scale just like Meshuggah's actual guitars, and they just measured it differently? Dendroaspis measured it to be 30.5" scale if i remember correctly. And i trust that number, seeing as he literally had the guitar in his hands, and measured it right there.

My OLP MM5 is 30" scale, but on paper it says 29.5 or something, because they don't take into account how far back the saddles can be adjusted.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
^ I sort of stick to the story whether they made this to fit an actual intonation point that matches the stock tuning, and went with the medium strings' length.

And guys, if you say this is a one trick pony, please look at the electronics:
This guitar has a tone control
That clearly means it's capable of other things than meschuggs.

(edit: how fail, page-switch when i post. Damn straight son)

brutus627

Givah some!
Reaction score
omg such a catch 22 :lol: i wanted this to happen so bad but at the same time didn't want to cause i want it SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad but will have to basically "suck dick for crack (insert meshuggah sig)" for it...

')