New MESHUGGAH Ibanez 8 string signature model WOOT!

• Thread starter FrancescoFiligoi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I mainly bought the guitar to put on a shelf and forget about and sell a decade later because these will be very limited production. Even if they offer it for the next several years, I don't see more than a hundred of these in total, selling.

Well, at only the 5 month post-release mark, they're almost halfway there in number, as I'm informed of.

Hey congrats on your investment, and I'm glad to hear that you're being inspired by the playability and tone. It tends to have that effect on people once they give one a go, they really are fantastic instruments. :yesway:

That being said, these guitars are going to appreciate in value in the future, and any alterations to it will definitely affect the resale/collect-ability value, particularly a refin. It's common knowledge in the vintage/collector market that a refinished piece will automatically drop the value 50%. Yes, half. Immediately. It would be worth more worn but original, than refinished years later.

If you're liking the tone of it, another aspect you may not be considering with this particular instrument is that a refinish is going to definitely change the tone of it - and not in a good way either. It will slightly deaden it. As Meshuggah's repair tech, I've worked on and studied all of them right from the earliest prototypes in painful detail. I can assure you that the bare stain and extremely light, clear sealer dusting aids in the vibrancy and transfer throughout the neck and body. Many people are surprised at how light in weight these guitars are for their size, and having a minimal finish on it is a big part of it. You can go ahead and refinish this if you really want to - but frankly you'd be foolish in the extreme to do so.

This would be as good a place as any to say: I'm thinking about adding an online M8M Registry Page to the existing Meshuggah Guitarchive very soon for all owners, so that everyone can see how many and where they are, along with an M8M Forum for discussions. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Knyas

Reaction score
I want to send it off to Mike Learn for something a little more interesting. I was thinking of something like these... if anyone has a better suggestion, I'd be interested to hear your opinion or you can post a picture for a different suggestion!

QbUjD.gif

816uC.gif

IiHln.gif

xenophobe

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was kidding about painting it. I love it just the way it is.

Well, at only the 5 month post-release mark, they're almost halfway there in number, as I'm informed of.

I thought the Sugi shop only had 5 luthiers, each doing one from start to finish before they produce the next guitar on the list... anyway, that doesn't really matter, the build quality is phenomenal. Pictures don't explain it, you really need to pick one up and play it.

I didn't think they were worth what dealers were asking. Now that I have one, if I needed a replacement, I'd cringe but pay the full price.

Hey congrats on your investment, and I'm glad to hear that you're being inspired by the playability and tone. It tends to have that effect on people once they give one a go, they really are fantastic instruments. :yesway:

Thanks! I don't see it as an investment anymore. I am a player that collects, but I only keep instruments that I actually play, this was going to be an exception... but it isn't a gimmick like I thought it might be. It's actually one hot rod of a stringed instrument.

I dread the day I get my first ding, scratch or gouge. It's more likely to happen than not.

If you start a registry, I'd be more than happy to provide my serial #.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Hey guys! I don't like this band really, but I bought a high end, expensive model that you can't afford! And the kicker is I'm not really too fussed about it! How does that all sit with you? look how awesome I AM! WOOOOO!

I might pour spoiled milk all over it! What would you guys think? Or just wipe my mouth on it after dinner, HA look what I can do with the guitar you all want!

jeremyb

Reaction score
Hey guys! I don't like this band really, but I bought a high end, expensive model that you can't afford! And the kicker is I'm not really too fussed about it! How does that all sit with you? look how awesome I AM! WOOOOO!

I might pour spoiled milk all over it! What would you guys think? Or just wipe my mouth on it after dinner, HA look what I can do with the guitar you all want!

:lol:

Reaction score

Wow, really?

Its not nearly as much as an m8m but when I was 14-15 I bought a loomis when I wasn't really into Nevermore, I just dug the fuck out of the specs and the guitar. God only knows we should never buy guitars because we like how they feel and are spec'd! :spock:

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score

xenophobe

Reaction score

I apologize I'm not a spoiled fanboi with rich parents I begged to buy me a guitar I don't even know how to play in return for promising to keep my room clean, not cutting myself and to mow the lawn once a month so I can play along with two finger string patterns while cranking my favorite band's album annoying my sister, parents and neighbors and being the coolest kid in school. :hbang:

At least that was what I was told that my M8M is really made for. lol

naavanka_

Reaction score
I want to send it off to Mike Learn for something a little more interesting. I was thinking of something like these... if anyone has a better suggestion, I'd be interested to hear your opinion or you can post a picture for a different suggestion!

img00020kd.jpg

charvelcustomshopsandim.jpg

DO IT!

Do it just for teh lulz and make people mad :D

How about something Shenker-ish black and white?

xenophobe

Reaction score
DO IT!

Do it just for teh lulz and make people mad :D

How about something Shenker-ish black and white?

lol.

I've actually never owned a guitar with graphics and I've owned a fair number of guitars.

If I actually manage to find another 8'er and get a project started and actually play shows, I'll buy a 2nd one for backup and I would get mine painted. I dunno what I'd do, but it'd go to Mike Learn:

45192866.jpg

xenophobe

Reaction score
I actually really like this finish. Of course, now you've changed your mind due to SSO's complaining about what you do with the guitar you bought, I guess you no longer need opinions :shrug:

Nah, I wouldn't mind suggestions. I am considering sending A guitar to Mike Learn, but not the M8M. That was a little bit of a troll. lol

Once I decided I was keeping it, I took 0000 steel wool and lemon oil to the back of the neck to get rid of some of the tackiness of the finish. I like smooth necks. If I feel like having it painted, I'd do it, but I like the stripped down hot rod sleeper look.

Reaction score
So on the last page, a guy buys an overpriced 8-string and wants to modify it?.... Common sense says no, the guitar is worth too much moolah, but it is his axe, so I say go for it, whatever makes you happy.

Weird shit goes on here though at SS.org.....

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
I would gay-marry anyone who refinished an M8M because even as a straight dude their balls would be irresistibly powerful

xenophobe

Reaction score
<3

So on the last page, a guy buys an overpriced 8-string and wants to modify it?.... Common sense says no, the guitar is worth too much moolah, but it is his axe, so I say go for it, whatever makes you happy.

Weird shit goes on here though at SS.org.....

It was a troll. But I'm trying to get a thrash/death metal thing together... finding another 8 string guitarist is proving hard even though I have two drummers who are ready that don't have gigs yet. If I get that going, I would certainly buy another M8M and then yes, I would probably send one off to Mike Learn just to hear people cry.

It's really not an overpriced 8 string. Yes, it's very, very expensive... and Meshuggah fanbois probably cry at the price, but if you know what a well made CS piece feels like, these things are awesome. If mine got lost/stolen/broken I'd definitely buy another one. I'd cringe cause they are expensive, but they really are that well crafted.

')