New Metallica: Lux Æterna

• Thread starter Bloody_Inferno
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Apologies if I came off as aggressive. That certainly isn’t my intent.

When it comes to how “song X makes person A feel B way” my overall point was that a lot of folks reasoning may not have any actual logic at all, but could more so be stemmed from nostalgic triggers that make person A reflect on a certain time in their life.

Of course this isn’t absolute and some folks will absolutely have logic that can be applied to the question.

No man don't worry about it :)

And it's a fair point about the music, sometimes it's hard to pinpoint these things.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think Hardwired might have been a better track overall, but think I like the riffs more here.
Actually, I've been playing them quite a bit since it came out. Sounds like a decent goal for my nooby, out of practice ass.
Inb4 "the lack of practice will help you play the solo more faithfully" or something like that :lol:

Lax

Reaction score
This song troubles me, especially since I hear it a lot on my rockFM station.

If you listen to it like a patchwork of past songs and clichés, it's good, even the solo is like 4 different hints to past solos.

But as a whole, it's a cheap pile of sh*t :)
Overall it sounds like a hardwire B-side and the solo is horrendous, it sounds like kirk tries to do tom morello stuff "one lick, one noise, one lick, one noise", sounds so random and uninspired...

Bonus : I don't think Lars can play that :D

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Personally the KEA & Garage Days comparison was due to the happy sounding riff that seemed more major than the minor stuff normally associated with metal. Happy for someone with actual music knowledge to explain this more than major = happy, minor = sad or angry, diminished = evil, phrygian = egyptian.
It feels a bit rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrawck n roll. Like it could almost be Foo Fighters or Nickelback. Almost.

JJ Smitee

Reaction score
Damn best stuff they put out since 88.

St Anger gets trashed but at least they showed some aggression and originality there.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
Heard a bit the other day, gonna wait for the album to really check it out.

Been a Metallica fan since the early 90's, but my tastes have shifted a bit. The most recent song I'll go back and hit regularly is "All Nightmare Long." Listened to Hardwired a lot when it came out, but haven't revisited it much.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Has this one been posted? The dude really does a pretty good young Het impression.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Metallica doesn't sound like what they did and their music is different that what they did in the 80s. That's natural. I'm cool with it. For fuck's sake, it's been over 30 years!
It has been over 40 years. 1981-2023

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if it's been posted and I haven't been keeping up with the thread, but The New Yorker had a good article on Metallica earlier this month. Unsure if there's a paywall but it's also available in audio form on Audible.

Some cool history that I'm sure is common knowledge among fans but was new to me as a casual/occasional listener. Also, some good bits from James and Lars, particularly James being a bit more vulnerable and talking about the tough guy metal persona.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
It's a cool song and it has been stuck in my head, especially that main riff. However, it's just not really surprising to me? Kind of bland but I get that that's a safer option for a single. I prefer their deep cuts usually anyway. One of my fav's from the last record was Am I Savage...

Latest posts

')