New metallica song played live!

• Thread starter Groff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score
I am a huge metallica fan(sans at anger ;)) butttt, I found this song to be kind of ironic in a way. When metallica first came out they where totally anti-hair metal, but somehow, the intro reminds me of a culmination of all that was 80's hair metal then later they add a splash of Enter Sandman vibe in. :2c:

With that being said, I am still hopeful that it will be an awesome album that I can be proud of.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
This does nothing for me, I've listened to it twice now. It just sounds ...tired,

"Album going out September-sumthing-or-other....." I hear him say that and it almost like he's half asleep.

I want to give the new album a chance. Hell I even like the album title but this just sounds ....dead to me.

"Suicide....I've already died.....", yeah, sounds like it.

Just saying...

Zak1233

Contributor
Reaction score
im liking this song but from the clip of their album preview thing this aitn my fav, im looking foreword to the album, gna be soooooooo much better than st.anger imo even tho that wasnt too bad anyway :lol:

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds good. I'm liking Kirk's solo. He's using a similar scale to the one he used in Wherever I May Roam, and that's a good start.

Hey, Metallica's starting to sound like a metal band again, that's got to be a good thing. :agreed:

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
Its not bad, its nothing spectacular, but its better than what they've done for a while. I still aint compelled to buy the album yet, but we shall see. Evergrey release an album in the same month as Metallica........I know which one I'm more likely to get excited by :D

Celiak

Reaction score
I can never really tell how good a song is from the live version if I haven't heard a proper recording before hand.

I think it sounds pretty good though.

DevinShidaker

"AN IDIOT"
Reaction score
I'm starting to think they recorded St Anger just so whenever they released new music, they could play whatever they want, and everybody will say "well it's better than I expected". But yeah, Glad to see that setlist, nothing past the black album.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I liked it. I'll be buying Death Magnetic. I generally give bands two shitty CD's in a row before I jump ship as a fan.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I think it is pretty sad that everyone is saying stuff like, "it's not bad, it is a lot better than what they've been doing".

• Metallica used to be fucking awesome, and a return from horrible to mediocre is the same as getting excited about gas prices dropping from $4.00 to $3.50, when it was $2.00 a few years ago.
  • If this was a brand new band we had never heard of, then no one would hear this song, since it so amazingly unremarkable.

We don't hate on Metallica because it is cool. We hate on Metallica because they suck now. If they didn't get such a disproportionate amount of attention, then we could simply ignore them.

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
I think it is pretty sad that everyone is saying stuff like, "it's not bad, it is a lot better than what they've been doing".

• Metallica used to be fucking awesome, and a return from horrible to mediocre is the same as getting excited about gas prices dropping from $4.00 to $3.50, when it was $2.00 a few years ago.
  • If this was a brand new band we had never heard of, then no one would hear this song, since it so amazingly unremarkable.

We don't hate on Metallica because it is cool. We hate on Metallica because they suck now. If they didn't get such a disproportionate amount of attention, then we could simply ignore them.

/quotedforgreatjustice

this song is boring and nothing new. if some unknown band had played this song, no one would have listened to it all the way to the end.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
I realised when listening to this that I can't stand James style of singing /yodelling which imho is almost as bad as that Nickelback/grunge type singing which is sadly to common in most middle of the road rock bands.
I hate to admit it but im beginning to feel that perhaps I should just give up on this band completely because I only love them for who they were yesterday not who they are today............

noodleplugerine

Reaction score
I liked it. I'll be buying Death Magnetic. I generally give bands two shitty CD's in a row before I jump ship as a fan.

By that logic, do I hate In Flames or not?

After sense of purpose, come clarity almost looks.... good :scream:

ARGHHHH, MY MIND HURTS.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
We hate on Metallica because they suck now. If they didn't get such a disproportionate amount of attention, then we could simply ignore them.

I guess I'm and exception, because (with the exception of St. anger) I like Metallica old and new. :shrug:

Reaction score
I realised when listening to this that I can't stand James style of singing /yodelling which imho is almost as bad as that Nickelback/grunge type singing which is sadly to common in most middle of the road rock bands.

Im completely with you on his singing, i find it incredibly annoying. Other than that i found the song to be pretty mediocre, but ive never really found metallica to be that great.

JerkyChid

Beef jerky kid
Reaction score
pleasantly surprised. better than I thought but still dont seem.. there ya know?

and why does James have an ESP endorsement if he never plays them? I just don't get it.

TheAceOfSpades1

Reaction score
I didn't like it. I honestly prefer St. Anger over this. Hopefully something on the new album will pull through though.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
The intro piqued my interest for a second and reminded me of what Metallica could be, then that bass line came in and they slipped straight back into tired, mid-paced pentatonic rock.

Anyone notice how they're trying to underpin the whole thing with all the old trademarks, the old logo, the white explorer. Wanna place bets on a white and black drumkit and the snakepit coming back?

')