New metallica song posted on myspace

• Thread starter WarriorOfMetal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
First intelligent post of the thread.

Allow me to point out one that's stupid, then.

you said:
beg them 24/7 to re-record Puppets or Justice, and that's what this is

Now, please point me to a point on either of those albums with warbly crooning vocals, autotune galore and James singing love lyrics with -AH at the end of every word.

If you want to talk about intelligence, I think dismissing 10 pages of posts from mostly seasoned musicians isn't the best way to start. You sound like another nu-Metallica fanboy on Youtube.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
Am I the only one who hears Dragonforce influence in the end of that song? -_-

I don't hate it, but I'm really not impressed either.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Nonsense.

The production is awful.

Not their fault. That's Rick Rubin, he doesn't give bands control, and at this point his stock is higher than theirs. See also: ...And Justice For All. Or even Puppets for that matter. All their albums sound like shit back then.

Hetfield's vocals are awful.

As I said.

The guitar lines are boring and repetitive.

See also "Seek and Destroy".

It sounds like a forced ballad written to get airplay.

Not any more than "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)".

The lyrics are ridiculous.

I could say the same about some of their early stuff.

The solo is boring.

People always say that about Kirk's solos.

I find it hilarious that kids like you who grew up on the Black album fail to understand why those of us who actually listened to Metallica when MoP was new get ticked off when they promise us a throwback album and deliver another pile of shit that could easily be a Load B-Side.

This sounds more like Black Album (Through The Never's solo section) and watered down Puppets (Welcome Home) and Justice (One) than Load (which was really their attempt to borrow some of the groove metal riffs of Pantera, etc. and an excuse to add some southern country/blues influences in there). The reason you were ok with shitty guitar tones back then is because they were just starting out. When they got decent guitar tones and drum sounds, you bitched about the songs.

Hell, Metallica started out playing Diamond Head covers in their sets and no one could tell the difference between their songs and the covers. Talk about originality :rolleyes:

Metallica has always been overhyped. I'm a fan, but people definitely get an overhyped image of them in their heads.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Allow me to point out one that's stupid, then.

Now, please point me to a point on either of those albums with warbly crooning vocals, autotune galore and James singing love lyrics with -AH at the end of every word.

If you want to talk about intelligence, I think dismissing 10 pages of posts from mostly seasoned musicians isn't the best way to start. You sound like another nu-Metallica fanboy on Youtube.

Re-read my post, I said it sounded like badly rehashed Justice/Puppets.

I don't think its their best work, but I don't think it's their worst, and I think it's closer to what people have been asking for than they realize.

And once again, production's not their department. This is a Rick Rubin production. He gets full credit, not "Metallica and Rick Rubin", therefore he's responsible for all of that.

You sound like a typical old-Metallica fanboy bitching about how mindblowing they used to be and forgetting that those old albums sound as dated as this new stuff, and forgetting how badly they bitched when Metallica tried to update their sound.

No offense Chris, I love debating with you, but I know it won't go anywhere, as we're both about as set in our opinions as each other usually :lol:

thedonutman

Reaction score
The song is mediocre IMO, I get the impression that the vocals don't fit very well. At least you can hear the bass though.

When James adds "-ah" to the end of words, I am constantly reminded of Davy Jones from Pirates of the Carribean:

SOC01_davyjones.jpg

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
See also "Seek and Destroy".

S&D is a thrash song. An 80's thrash song, when Metallica was an 80's thrash band. You weren't alive then, so move along since you've no idea what you're talking about.

Not any more than "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)".

Sigh.. Dude, WHS came out in 1986. A band doing a ballad-y song once in awhile is fine. The first 4 minutes of this new track sound like the riffs that didn't make The Unforgiven. To say that Sanitarium was written to get airplay just shows that you know fuck all about old Metallica and are talking out of your ass. Metallica didn't do videos, MTV, radio or ANYTHING until One, and when that video came out it was the first time that most of their fans saw them on any time of media like that.

I could say the same about some of their early stuff.

Which you never listened to when it was current.

The reason you were ok with shitty guitar tones back then is because they were just starting out. When they got decent guitar tones and drum sounds, you bitched about the songs.

No, nobody bitched about guitar tones back then because Metallica were an underground thrash band that churned out sick albums without spending a billion dollars on production. They got decent guitar tones, and started writing shitty songs. And regarding "decent drum sounds"... Have you heard St. Anger dude?

Hell, Metallica started out playing Diamond Head covers in their sets and no one could tell the difference between their songs and the covers. Talk about originality

They started out playing DH covers to fill out their sets, and they played them their own style. Your band never plays covers, and is influenced by nobody? Riiight.

the.godfather

Mr. Flibble
Reaction score
Agree with the majority so far it has to be said. Fucking awful. What is this shit about?! Really? Metallica doing a ballad about love! :lol:

Metallica died after 'Justice...' Will I grab the album to give it a chance? Probably, because it deserves a full listen through before I fully judge. But will I be selling it on Ebay the week after? Probably. :lol:

Jesus, Mustaine must be laughing his ass off listening to this. I really enjoyed Megadeth's last album, and with Broderick on board (hopefully being allowed to be creative) I can only see them getting better.

Maybe Dave will have the last laugh afterall.

-K4G-

Go Auckland Blues!
Reaction score
*-K4G- goes to the Jennifer Love Hewitt thread to console himself. Sobs.*

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
I find it hilarious that kids like you who grew up on the Black album fail to understand why those of us who actually listened to Metallica when MoP was new get ticked off when they promise us a throwback album and deliver another pile of shit that could easily be a Load B-Side.

Exactly.

I think that's the big issue here. Those of us who are old enough to have lived through the pre-Black album era of Metallica have a much different view on the band and what they've become today IMO. And I mean no disrespect to the younger Metallica fans here but I think your view and perception of the band is a lot different than at least mine is.

I'm having a hard time expressing what I'm trying to get at with this post (what else is knew? :lol:) but I think the bottom line is that this is not the same group of guys who created an entire genre of music in the early 80's. It's very sad to see a band that molded so many of the other bands that came from that era and beyond sounding so stale and forced. They will never be that band that changed the way I listen to music when I first heard RTL in 84. Case closed.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
S&D is a thrash song. An 80's thrash song, when Metallica was an 80's thrash band. You weren't alive then, so move along since you've no idea what you're talking about.

Technically, by a year, you're correct. But you can't say that it doesn't feature repetitive riffs. It's hypocritical to say that it was ok then but not ok now, and also bash them for trying to change over the years.

Sigh.. Dude, WHS came out in 1986. A band doing a ballad-y song once in awhile is fine. The first 4 minutes of this new track sound like the riffs that didn't make The Unforgiven. To say that Sanitarium was written to get airplay just shows that you know fuck all about old Metallica and are talking out of your ass. Metallica didn't do videos, MTV, radio or ANYTHING until One, and when that video came out it was the first time that most of their fans saw them on any time of media like that.

Actually, it sounds like "Fade To Black" more than "Welcome Home", my bad. And, FYI, "One" was a ballad, which got them airplay. :spock:

Which you never listened to when it was current.

Not sure how this is relevant to the discussion. I listen to music objectively. That's like saying emo music isn't so bad right now, because it's "of the times".

No, nobody bitched about guitar tones back then because Metallica were an underground thrash band that churned out sick albums without spending a billion dollars on production. They got decent guitar tones, and started writing shitty songs. And regarding "decent drum sounds"... Have you heard St. Anger dude?

I wasn't referring to St. Anger, I was referring to Load/Reload and the Black Album.

They started out playing DH covers to fill out their sets, and they played them their own style. Your band never plays covers, and is influenced by nobody? Riiight.

We actually don't play covers (not that it matters, just stating a fact, I have in the past played covers and don't have a problem with them). We're influenced by other bands, obviously, but we don't claim to be groundbreaking or anything. And in their own style? Please. I've seen videos of Diamond Head playing "Am I Evil?" and it sounds like Metallica did a spot on cover with little changes. I have no problem with this. I'm just pointing out that it's incorrect to say that no one sounded like them before they came out.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly.

I think that's the big issue here. Those of us who are old enough to have lived through the pre-Black album era of Metallica have a much different view on the band and what they've become today IMO. And I mean no disrespect to the younger Metallica fans here but I think your view and perception of the band is a lot different than at least mine is.

I'm having a hard time expressing what I'm trying to get at with this post (what else is knew? :lol:) but I think the bottom line is that this is not the same group of guys who created an entire genre of music in the early 80's. It's very sad to see a band that molded so many of the other bands that came from that era and beyond sounding so stale and forced. They will never be that band that changed the way I listen to music when I first heard RTL in 84. Case closed.

They didn't invent thrash. Flat out. They didn't. People were doing it before they came along. Read the liner notes on "Garage, Inc." sometime. They started the band because they wanted to play the music they were fans of, and played lots of covers when they started out.

The fact that you hadn't heard anything like them before you heard them means that for you they were groundbreaking. The fact that I heard them later (and, yes, had my thoughts on music changed for good) doesn't change a thing. When I first heard those albums, they were amazing, no matter when I heard them. But, over the years, with repeated listens, they sound dated, and I wouldn't want them to try and recreate them. The fact that they did is why the new stuff sounds mediocre.

Watching "Cliff 'Em All" gave me a good view of what was so exciting about them back then: They were just four young guys having a good time playing some awesome music. They were never gods, and never will be, no matter how much money you think they have now.

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Contributor
Reaction score
They were gods dude. Wanna know why? Because, apart from Iron Maiden, they're the only metal band my dad's ever heard of.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
They were gods dude. Wanna know why? Because, apart from Iron Maiden, they're the only metal band my dad's ever heard of.

That makes them celebrities, not gods. And it has nothing to do with their playing/singing/writing abilities. They were just in the right place at the right time to be the spokespeople for the newest musical movement. (See also: Nirvana, who "defined" the grunge genre, but weren't really that mindblowingly better than the rest)

They haven't become worse players over the years, they just haven't improved much. James' voice isn't what it was, because he sang (yelled) wrong for years. Their songwriting isn't great, but their best songwriters died (Cliff) or were fired (Dave).

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
They didn't invent thrash. Flat out. They didn't. People were doing it before they came along. Read the liner notes on "Garage, Inc." sometime. They started the band because they wanted to play the music they were fans of, and played lots of covers when they started out.

The fact that you hadn't heard anything like them before you heard them means that for you they were groundbreaking. The fact that I heard them later (and, yes, had my thoughts on music changed for good) doesn't change a thing. When I first heard those albums, they were amazing, no matter when I heard them. But, over the years, with repeated listens, they sound dated, and I wouldn't want them to try and recreate them. The fact that they did is why the new stuff sounds mediocre.

Watching "Cliff 'Em All" gave me a good view of what was so exciting about them back then: They were just four young guys having a good time playing some awesome music. They were never gods, and never will be, no matter how much money you think they have now.

Well I have to disagree with you somewhat. Did they invent thrash? No, I suppose they didn't but they were the one band that took it to a level that no other band had at that time. I know there were plenty of other bands from that Bay area thrash scene and trust me I listened to a lot of them early on. I know Testament who got success later than Metallica comes to mind but for the most part Metallica made it possible for bands like Testament and countless others to make a living.
I'm an east coast guy so I probably wasn't quite as aware of the other bands that were up and coming during that great time period but I really feel Metallica changed it for everyone.

I never used the word gods, but just as the Beatles changed the face of music in my father’s era, Metallica did the same for mine in this genre of music and for that I would consider them quite a huge part of the history of metal.

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score

Dude. I'm sorry but it was a completly different music scene in the early 80's. You can't compare when you first heard RTL (whenever that was for you) to when it actually came out in 84. Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister were considered heavy and dangerous bands at the time.
For me it's not even about recreating that sound but more about doing something that changed the way you thought about music. At least that's what they did for me and maybe it's not fair to expect them to be able to do that again but ulitimately I think they've turned into a parity of themselves.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Technically, by a year, you're correct. But you can't say that it doesn't feature repetitive riffs. It's hypocritical to say that it was ok then but not ok now, and also bash them for trying to change over the years.

Good music stands the test of time dude. MoP is fantastic. Nobody will give a shit about this song 10 years from now. You obviously know nothing about oldschool thrash.

Actually, it sounds like "Fade To Black" more than "Welcome Home", my bad. And, FYI, "One" was a ballad, which got them airplay. :spock:

So you're still 100% incorrect when you say that WH was written for airplay. Check.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score

They aren't playing thrash now. Please show me where in this thread I said that they invented thrash.

But, over the years, with repeated listens, they sound dated, and I wouldn't want them to try and recreate them. The fact that they did is why the new stuff sounds mediocre.

That has to do with your tastes in music changing. And your argument that faulting a 20 year old album for sounding "Dated" is pretty absurd, don't you think? Of course it does.

Yes, and now they're 3 guys and "The Dude from Suicidal Tendencies" who put out weepy documentaries about their addictions, hire a life coach, sue their fans and on top of it churn out bad songs fronted by a vocalist whose voice has long since left him.

And you can't understand why we don't like it?

')