New metallica song posted on myspace

• Thread starter WarriorOfMetal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, and now they're 3 guys and "The Dude from Suicidal Tendencies" who put out weepy documentaries about their addictions, hire a life coach, sue their fans and on top of it churn out bad songs fronted by a vocalist whose voice has long since left him.

And you can't understand why we don't like it?

I get why you don't like change, yes. I don't get why you need your musicians to be hard, emotionless, drug-addicted (alcohol included), douchebags on a downward spiral towards an early grave, or else you mock them openly for being "pussies". I like how you'll say they were dicks to Jason Newstead, but then bash them for hiring a life coach to try and deal with the issues that lead to them being a dick to Newstead.

Good music stands the test of time dude. MoP is fantastic. Nobody will give a shit about this song 10 years from now. You obviously know nothing about oldschool thrash.

I know oldschool thrash was bred out of a mixture of heavy metal riffs and the speed and energy of punk. I know Metallica started out playing Diamond Head, Motorhead, Misfits, etc. covers.

So you're still 100% incorrect when you say that WH was written for airplay. Check.

I never once said that WH was written for airplay, I was arguing that the new song also isn't. Anyone in the music industry will tell you an 8 minute song with an extended instrumental break with guitar solo was not written for airplay. Especially when it sounds like it's a rehash of 1986/7 with badly written vocals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
I notice noone denouncing Slayer because they forgot how to write lyrics that didn't make them sound like a kid drawing pentagrams on his arms with sharpie. Or because King's forgotten how to do a solo other than wah-pedal noise. Kind of like Hammett, except Kirk's not as bad. And this song isn't as bad and saddening as most of the stuff on . . . what's that album called, Christ Illusion?

Just to add a response to this, you wont see me complaining about Slayer forgetting how to write lyrics and kings forgetting how to do solos, because I think Kings never done a good solo anyway, and think Slayer are a band that took using the locrian scale to the point where anything other than a flattened 2nd and flattened 5th aren't allowed in the riff.

To sum it up, Slayer to me have always sucked, whereas Metallica's stuff I've always thought had its moment :)

Doomcreeper

Whitechapel
Reaction score
Waitin' fooor-AH! The day that never CoooOoOoMes-AH!

For fuck's sake. :noway:

that's funny hearing that becuase when my buddy and I were hanging out last night we were talking about that AH! and starting making that sound at the end of every sentence haha.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
It seems so, theres been some talk of audio quality issues (distortion later in the song where there shouldn't be), whether thats the reason it was taken down or not, they haven't confirmed.

bulletbass man

Classical & Metal
Reaction score
To say one was written for radio airplay is just silly. The whole second half of the song is heavy as hell.

Everytime I put that song on in the car my mom enjoys the first have and then tells me to shut it off as soon as the outro starts. They may have made a video but I don't know anyone who ever said dude they sold out with one. It's always the black album that everyone of thier thrash fans hate.

I was born in 1991. I may not have been alive to hear MOP when it came out. But I do remember the first time I bought it and the intro to blackened came on. That was fucking epic as hell. Sure by that time I had been playing metal for years. But I honestly never listened to it till I heard that album (wierd I know). Then I bought as much of it as I can.

Sure Kirk's solos were never that great. Sure he overused wah long before they "sold out:. But you can't listen to One, Or fade to black, and then listen to this song or Enter Sandman and likes and go oh wow this later stuff is actally decent. It's utterly terrible compared to his earlier stuff.

Sure the songs Ride the Lightning, Call of ktulu, most the kill em all album all scream Mustaine. But fuck Megadeth is a great band. Atleast they know they screwed up with risk. Sure thier latest album wasn't near as good as anything before Symphony of Destruction. But atleast it was metal. And some of those solos were actually pretty good.

Also Slayer was never that great. But atleast they're still Slayer.

In the end I've always liked other bands better than Metallica (friedman era Deth, Nevermore, Etc.) But everytime I put on Justice, or MOP, or Ride the lightning the music is awesome. It has so much passion. Sure they didn't invent thrash but they sure as hell fucking played it. Sure they had these "ballads" but half of them had harmonized solos. And they had far more metal parts than these later stuff. Anyone who says metal has to have fullgain 230bpm going on all the time is just silly.

If metallica wrote an album half as good as mop. With half the passion that band once had. Then I'd buy it give it a listen every now and then and say it's a great album.

But this just fucking sucks.

Also when it comes to production those early metallica records where exactly what they were meant to be. Justice has fantastic guitar tones. When it comes to drums pretty much all their records where better than st anger. (also the snare in this latest song sounded absolutely terrible).

And to blame it on the producer is a fucking joke. Anyband half the size of metallica can get thier album remixed and remastered over and over again till they like it. Even Nirvana had In Utero remixed and thier a fucking punk band.

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
But this just fucking sucks.

You just summed it up perfectly right there...

Metallica has been on a slow descent to becoming another generic corporate rock band ever since the Black album was released.
Now it appears that journey is complete.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Cats fucking on a black board sounds better than St Anger

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I wish they would've kept Newsted, but even then, I don't think they'd be writing anything good. At least on the black album, there are some good songs but still no Master Of Puppets. That and Ride The Lightning will always be my favorite classic thrash metal albums of all time. :agreed:

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
People don't necessarily want Metallica to replicate the style of Master Of Puppets, they just want an album that reflects the same hunger and passion that the earlier ones had. They could put out a polka album for all anyone cares, as long as it sounded like they actually gave a shit when they recorded it. Production-wise, you can't compare the old albums to this because back then the band did the best they could with what they had; the band of 2008 are kajillionaires, so a mediocre production like this one just reflects how little interest they seem to have in the whole album. Rick Rubin is notoriously hands-off, too, and had no hand in mixing or mastering, so it has nothing to do with him.

As for them not inventing thrash, they might not have been the first chronologically (there's maybe Exodus before them and that's pretty much it) but saying that they didn't invent thrash because Diamond Head and Misfits weren't thrash doesn't prove anything. That's like saying Black Sabbath didn't play metal because Django Reinhardt and Eric Clapton didn't downtune or something.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
People don't necessarily want Metallica to replicate the style of Master Of Puppets, they just want an album that reflects the same hunger and passion that the earlier ones had. They could put out a polka album for all anyone cares, as long as it sounded like they actually gave a shit when they recorded it.

Perfect. The summation of the thread. Right there is exactly what everyone, on both sides, has been trying to say.

Good job, DDD :yesway:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm going to try and save this thread with lots of :hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang:

And this was written by a band that came out in the same era as Metallica, and this is new 2008 material. If Metallica did this... God help us all.

This man speaks the truth. Rep, sir.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm going to try and save this thread with lots of :hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang:

And this was written by a band that came out in the same era as Metallica, and this is new 2008 material. If Metallica did this... God help us all.

:agreed:

Their new stuff kicks ass. Brutal stuff! :hbang:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I get why you don't like change, yes. I don't get why you need your musicians to be hard, emotionless, drug-addicted (alcohol included), douchebags on a downward spiral towards an early grave, or else you mock them openly for being "pussies". I like how you'll say they were dicks to Jason Newstead, but then bash them for hiring a life coach to try and deal with the issues that lead to them being a dick to Newstead.

Actually, I want my musicians to shut the fuck up and put albums out without telling their fans that they are happy/sad/depressed/elated, or what their political views are.

I know oldschool thrash was bred out of a mixture of heavy metal riffs and the speed and energy of punk. I know Metallica started out playing Diamond Head, Motorhead, Misfits, etc. covers.

It's one thing to know your history, it's another completely to be a music fan at that point in time. You weren't, a lot of us are, and we're the ones you're calling out for making unintelligent posts while at the same time slagging a 20 year old album for sounding dated.

I never once said that WH was written for airplay, I was arguing that the new song also isn't. Anyone in the music industry will tell you an 8 minute song with an extended instrumental break with guitar solo was not written for airplay. Especially when it sounds like it's a rehash of 1986/7 with badly written vocals.

You didn't, eh?

me said:
It sounds like a forced ballad written to get airplay.

you said:
Not any more than "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)".

')