New Metallica: The Lords of Summer

• Thread starter Sofos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
4'50 riff almost stolen :"The Wait" Garage 1987

Why why why this Hetfield want to sing so high since St Anger...damned it's not beautiful, he is in pain, not tuned
His voice was so awesome in a low register (AJFA-Black-Load)
I don't understand, his dudes have to tell him !

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Robby the Robot

The President Bits
Reaction score
I kind of wish they would've left New Song 1 the way it was personally. :2c: This has potential, but I'm sure it'll be chopped and screwed once 2020 comes around and the albums drops.

Cnev

Reaction score
... Emh, yeah... Whatever... Aham... :nuts:

I have never been a huge fan of their music, but I loved some of the stuff on Garage Inc. I have always liked Hetfield as a vocalist and rhythm guitarist though, and have always felt that he could do some pretty cool things within other styles of metal. /shrug

RV350ALSCYTHE

Reaction score
It's missing the Mustaine influence :lol:

I haven't like anything past AJFA with the exception of All Nightmare Long, imo the closest they've come to traditional thrash in decades, and the best music video ever.
Couldn't stand the rest of the album, the songs seemed to drone on without any appeal or hooks.

I don't see or hear them enjoying the music they play anymore. Seems like a job, slap it together and get it out for sale :shrug:

Also James' attire, some kind of cross between Sprockets and a Preacher.
myers-satnite-sprockets-14.jpg

Itchyman

Reaction score
I have to say one thing though, James' tone is on point. It's interesting that his Snakebyte guitar only is 24.75 inches with 22 frets, too.

Nah, I just figured that he'd want more tension for the rhythm work and tight downpicking he does. But preferences are preferences, it's his sig. :agreed:

Funny thing is that I'm almost positive he uses .010 - .048s in Eb, too. :lol:

All of james' guitars are 22 fret 24.75" mahogany monsters. 24.75" is the best way to get as massive a tone from an EMG 81 that james gets (got?). Listen to the house that jack built. When is the last time you heard a single note, non-palm muted, line as ballsy and crunchy as that, without being tuned to the depths of hell?
Also, I'm pretty sure james and kirk are both using .11 to .50-something these days.

PS
You get a much sweeter tone from the neck pickup with 22 frets.

Cnev

Reaction score
It's missing the Mustaine influence :lol:

I haven't like anything past AJFA with the exception of All Nightmare Long, imo the closest they've come to traditional thrash in decades, and the best music video ever.

I don't see or hear them enjoying the music they play anymore. Seems like a job, slap it together and get it out for sale :shrug:

This is something I have thought for a while now as well. I really question Metallica's intentions at this point in their career and I partly attribute that to a (maybe significant?) portion of their fanbase. I know 2 die-hard Metallica fans, whom I have been friends with since I was 8 or 9. To them, anything Metallica releases that doesn't sound like the music they put out 20 years ago is immediately relegated to "utter shit" status. I see this sentiment expressed throughout the internet as well and I can't help but wonder how deeply it penetrates their general fan base, and in turn affects their approach to music. People seem to be so overly critical about their music and will not accept them unless they are continuing the trend they set decades ago.

Maybe they don't enjoy the music they play anymore because after so many years of playing it, they no longer feel the desire to express themselves in that way. People grow out of things. They mature, evolve, whatever. Hell, there is no way I could play the silly crap that I did even 10 years ago. It's just not who I am at this point in my life. I can't imagine these guys genuinely feeling the desire to play this stuff anymore, but they are in a situation where they might not feel like they really have a choice given what their fans, and the world, expect from them. Kind of sad, really.

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
I am loving this song though. Reminds me of Ride The Lightning alot. Interested to see how much it changes. I still remember how different Fuel was from the Cunning Stunts performance to the actual release of it. Music didnt change much, but James' vox got a major improvement

fps

Kit
Reaction score
This is something I have thought for a while now as well. I really question Metallica's intentions at this point in their career and I partly attribute that to a (maybe significant?) portion of their fanbase. I know 2 die-hard Metallica fans, whom I have been friends with since I was 8 or 9. To them, anything Metallica releases that doesn't sound like the music they put out 20 years ago is immediately relegated to "utter shit" status. I see this sentiment expressed throughout the internet as well and I can't help but wonder how deeply it penetrates their general fan base, and in turn affects their approach to music. People seem to be so overly critical about their music and will not accept them unless they are continuing the trend they set decades ago.

Maybe they don't enjoy the music they play anymore because after so many years of playing it, they no longer feel the desire to express themselves in that way. People grow out of things. They mature, evolve, whatever. Hell, there is no way I could play the silly crap that I did even 10 years ago. It's just not who I am at this point in my life. I can't imagine these guys genuinely feeling the desire to play this stuff anymore, but they are in a situation where they might not feel like they really have a choice given what their fans, and the world, expect from them. Kind of sad, really.

A couple of things I see from this. They are Metallica being Metallica. For all people say they've experimented over the years, it's all been very similar in terms of how the music is written, the scales they use etc. If they'd wanted to move into genuinely new territory it would have meant some serious reimagining of the way they used and viewed the guitar. So they write in a pretty similar way to how they always have I think, the same patterns on the fretboard, similar interactions between band members, they've done that for such a long time I think it's cool they come up with new hooks at all!

Second, I think they've come back round and accepted and now honour their status as gods of, and spokesmen for, metal. At a time when music in general is struggling, to have them out there as one of the world's biggest bands flying the flag for metal is awesome, I think, no matter what one thinks of the music. Though I maintain DM is a wicked album, with echoes of AJFA, Black and Load.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score

The vocals sounds much better on this one, but it still sounds really strained and forced when he tries to hit the high notes. It's going to be interesting to hear a studio version of this.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
It's better than anything my table has written lately...

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
Every time he goes to the "Lords of Summer have returned" line I can't help but laugh. The delivery is hilarious.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
I can't help but laugh at the title. The Summer is not a particularly metal thing to be the lord of. Lords of Winter, Lords of Pain? Now THOSE are metal.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score

The vocals sounds much better on this one, but it still sounds really strained and forced when he tries to hit the high notes. It's going to be interesting to hear a studio version of this.

I really enjoyed that

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Ok, dunno why I gave in and finally listened this piece.
The demo version.
The first 1:43 minutes of 2 riffs on a song that is 8 minutes and more long is pretty unacceptable in my book, no matter the quality.
I always hated how Metallica repeated riffs for like 8 times.
That could have worked in the 80s (bad anyway) but NOW it's neither nostalgic nor vintage, just upfront and pathetic and a way to water down a song.
I didn't even reached the chorus because what I heard was silly, not only music wise but conceptually.

Don Vito

Reaction score
I can't help but laugh at the title. The Summer is not a particularly metal thing to be the lord of. Lords of Winter, Lords of Pain? Now THOSE are metal.
I'll forgive you because you live in Washington, but summers here in Alabama are brutal onslaughts of sweat, heatstrokes, and whitethrash landwhales wearing what barely passes for legal clothing.

')