New Metallica: The Lords of Summer

• Thread starter Sofos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzie

Reaction score
I like the song. It has potential. It's a DEMO. Christ, unpucker your assholes.

I can't even deal with all this shit that I hear about this band. People still bitching about Load and Reload. Those albums came out almost 20 years ago. Holy shit. LET IT GO. And for that matter, Justice came out over 25 years ago.

Who here seriously expected this band to come out with an album that sounds like all the music they wrote in their 20s? I'm very interested to hear how MY written music will be different in 25 years when I'm 50, compared to what it is now. If it's still the same, I'll only assume that I never managed any musical growth and I'll be disappointed. Of course there are exceptions to this rule. Everyone seems to like to suck off Testament for writing nothing but thrash for 30 years.

In fact, one of my favorite things about this band is the variety of music they have in their discography. Want something epic and timeless? Puppets. Want something a little more complex? Justice. How about one of those days where you could beat in the face of everyone you meet? St Anger. Or maybe you just want some excellent musicianship and heavy rock? Load. Something a little different? S&M. You want some classic covers and AMAZING production? Garage Inc.

I'm sorry guys, really, but a bunch of armchair guitarists sitting here and critiquing a band that's been successful and writing music for 35 years is infuriating. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though, and I try to respect that. But there is a clear difference between having your opinion and doing the "cool" thing and bashing one of the biggest bands to ever release music.

/rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score

I can't even deal with all this shit that I hear about this band. People still bitching about Load and Reload. Those albums came out almost 20 years ago. Holy shit. LET IT GO. And for that matter, Justice came out over 25 years ago.

Who here seriously expected this band to come out with an album that sounds like all the music they wrote in their 20s? I'm very interested to hear how MY written music will be different in 25 years when I'm 50, compared to what it is now. If it's still the same, I'll only assume that I never managed any musical growth and I'll be disappointed. Of course there are exceptions to this rule. Everyone seems to like to suck off Testament for writing nothing but thrash for 30 years.

In fact, one of my favorite things about this band is the variety of music they have in their discography. Want something epic and timeless? Puppets. Want something a little more complex? Justice. How about one of those days where you could beat in the face of everyone you meet? St Anger. Or maybe you just want some excellent musicianship and heavy rock? Load. Something a little different? S&M. You want some classic covers and AMAZING production? Garage Inc.

I'm sorry guys, really, but a bunch of armchair guitarists sitting here and critiquing a band that's been successful and writing music for 35 years is infuriating. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though, and I try to respect that. But there is a clear difference between having your opinion and doing the "cool" thing and bashing one of the biggest bands to ever release music.

/rant
Just because they wrote some legendary albums in the past doesn't make them immune to criticism. We can easily critizise Lars for being a lazy shit that barely practices or rip on Kirk for relying too much on the same scale and wah pedal, or how Death Magnetic was brickwalled to the point that it's exhausting to listen to and that the production on St. Anger was just plain weird. This song could've easily been half as long, especially since they just repeat the same riff so often.

Cyn__Theia

They freak you out
Reaction score
Just because they wrote some legendary albums in the past doesn't make them immune to criticism. We can easily critizise Lars for being a lazy shit that barely practices or rip on Kirk for relying too much on the same scale and wah pedal, or how Death Magnetic was brickwalled to the point that it's exhausting to listen to and that the production on St. Anger was just plain weird. This song could've easily been half as long, especially since they just repeat the same riff so often.

This x 1000.

If you can't deal with the shit people say about the band, then don't bring it up to people who you would expect to take the "cool" route. Especially don't look to a thread on the internet and expect to not hear the atypical, sometimes nonsensical, debasing comments that have become common place within any discussion regarding the group on a forum that is essentially open to anyone who can fill in a few text fields and click a few buttons.

Metallica is becoming one of those things for some metalheads that "you shouldn't talk about in public", like religion or politics for "normal" people.

I'm sorry guys, really, but a bunch of armchair guitarists sitting here and critiquing a band that's been successful and writing music for 35 years is infuriating.

I was with you until you iterated that bullshit. "Armchair guitarists"? Are you actually sorry, or did you just put that there as a pretext to the glaringly crude insult that would come afterwards? Debasing the aspirations of others while simultaneously grouping all of us together is just as bad (if not worse) as your perceived bandwagon-hate-hopping.

Sure, some people may just be saying what they are based on some perception or social construct that it is "cool" to hate anything Metallica does. The potentiality that some just dislike where the group has gone or the newer song itself also exists, as well as those of us who are well-versed in what professional music sounds like or perceived to sound like, or expect a higher standard for the music they choose to listen to.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm actually sitting here trying to come up with a reason not to ban you, since you've sailed over into direct attacks on other forumites...

Nope. Can't come up with one. Enjoy your two weeks off.

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
That's a little crass. It was his first post on the subject (no warning?) and the only thing that was directed towards a forumite was the dude he quoted and rightfully questioned his language. Referring to us as armchair guitarists is pretty insulting considering a lot of us on here actually do have an imprint in the music scene.

Blitzie

Reaction score

You could literally say that about 95% of the songs they've written. Their M.O. for the last 30 years has been long songs. No one is complaining about the length of Justice or Puppets. No one is whining about how Ktulu is at least 5 minutes longer than it needed to be. But this? This is too much. How dare they write a song and repeat parts? Who do they think they are, Metallica? Oh wait.

That's a little crass. It was his first post on the subject (no warning?) and the only thing that was directed towards a forumite was the dude he quoted and rightfully questioned his language. Referring to us as armchair guitarists is pretty insulting considering a lot of us on here actually do have an imprint in the music scene.

I don't disagree with you but now I don't need to take the time to answer him. So I don't think I mind very much.

My point isn't that you personally don't have an impact on music. I'm sure you've made your own contribution to music. But you certainly haven't, and won't ever, make the imprint that Metallica does.

The term "armchair guitarist" is a play on the old phrase "armchair quarterback", which refers to someone sitting at home, watching a football game, and talking shit and saying what everyone on the field is doing wrong and how they could do it better. Most of the people in this thread are going on about how anyone could keep time better than Lars, play more cleanly than Kirk, sing better than James, produce better than a demo...well, go and do it. If they're so superior, they can go ahead. Let us all know how widely known they are in 30 years.

That's more my point above everything else. I don't understand what the issue is. The song is too long? It's probably average length for this band. The riff is boring? So is Whiplash. And Escape. And Jump in the Fire. And To Live is To Die. Don't Tread on Me. I could go on but I won't. The lyrics suck? IT. IS. A. DEMO.

I know this all comes down to difference of opinion and taste and at the end of the day, I respect everyones opinion. I'm just trying to defend my stance. If I insulted anyone, I actually am sorry. That wasn't my intent.

rifft

Reaction score
I liked this sped up version a lot more. Definitely has more of an early Metallica vibe.

Blitzie

Reaction score
Metallica is becoming one of those things for some metalheads that "you shouldn't talk about in public", like religion or politics for "normal" people.

Actually, I can't let this one go.

It's already like that. I've been a fan of Metallica since I was 13. I own tons of Metallica shirts and I wear them in public on occasion.

Every single time, without fail, someone will come up to me and tell me they only liked the first four albums and now they "suck". Literally, every single time. I usually will talk to them about it and say "well, I like the 90s stuff, there is some great material there" and I get met with some kind of nonsense about haircuts or going commercial. I'm always respectful, and they are too, so I don't argue my point.

Metallica is the most polarizing band in metal. People either love them for what they're doing and have done, or people hate them for what they HAVEN'T done.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
You could literally say that about 95% of the songs they've written. Their M.O. for the last 30 years has been long songs. No one is complaining about the length of Justice or Puppets. No one is whining about how Ktulu is at least 5 minutes longer than it needed to be. But this? This is too much. How dare they write a song and repeat parts? Who do they think they are, Metallica? Oh wait.
Nobody are ripping on those because they're much, much better songs than this one with more interesting riffs and solos. The Call of Ktulu is one of my favorite Metallica songs and it's much more progressing and varied than Lords of Summer.

Reaction score
I quite like it, regardless of the goofy title! Should be a bit faster but shit, it's a demo.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
My problem with Metallica is not that their music has changed. It's that their music has changed from good to boring.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Lords of Summer makes me think of Summer Court makes me think of True Fae. And True Fae are some seriously ....ed up shit.

I'm sure that will completely change if I actually listen to the song.

sartorious

a good lurking guy
Reaction score

I thought it was fine background music. Too much attention would become tedious, but it has its place.

Does anyone else think "Lords of Summer" refers to the band? If so, how often to you hear rock or metal bands write entire songs about themselves? I always thought it was more of a rap thing. :shrug:

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I can't help but laugh at the title. The Summer is not a particularly metal thing to be the lord of. Lords of Winter, Lords of Pain? Now THOSE are metal.

THIS, a million times.

Lords of Winter sounds DOOM as ..... Lords of Pain, good, Lords of Despair, Lords of Blood, Lords of Violence, anything sounds more metal than Summer.

Lords of Summer sounds like a Dubstep Duo name, or an alternate name for an Ecstasy pill for people to take on a rave or something! :lol:

Also, the main riff sounds like a Country band guitar player is trying to make thrash metal with a banjo or something. It sucks balls.

')