New Metallica: The Lords of Summer

• Thread starter Sofos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Those double bass strokes...
I need to hear the studio recording, but from a songwriting standpoint, it's somewhere in between Death Magnetic and their (Re)Load era. I REALLY like the melody progression in the solo segment, and Rob is squeaky clean in his playing as usual. The riffing leaves something to be desired tho from a creative standpoint, which wasn't what I hoped for from James. The main riffs are just too generic. :(

6/10 so far, awaiting further material.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Not too sure how I feel yet. Still rather generic, but I like it a bit more than anything from Death Magnetic.

Pretty much my exact reaction. Better than most of DM.

I thought it was pretty good, but that's probably because expectations were really, really, really low.

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
Pretty much my exact reaction. Better than most of DM.

I thought it was pretty good, but that's probably because expectations were really, really, really low.

pretty much. i was expecting something closer to "What if Emmure played full powerchords rather than just palm muted single notes?" as the riffs.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
They did this well before Death Magnetic as well didn't they, a couple of new songs they played a few times which were then cut up, the best bits taken out and put into better music. It's a cool thing to do.

Oh and people are just being spiteful saying this is better than anything on Death Magnetic.

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
They did this well before Death Magnetic as well didn't they, a couple of new songs they played a few times which were then cut up, the best bits taken out and put into better music. It's a cool thing to do.

Oh and people are just being spiteful saying this is better than anything on Death Magnetic.

not being spiteful, being honest. Didn't like anything off that record, and the muddy production didn't help one bit.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Jesus, I think James has lost the ability to hit high notes completely. His voice will never go back to what it used to be. The song is pretty good, but not much more than that.

I'd love to see Rob in a different band, but he's probably swimming in cash so I doubt he's complaining. :lol:

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
Only have the phone to hear it on atm but songwise it's not bad.

I felt DM was the best album since the self titled, nothing they've done since then is great but Dm was getting there.

This new material has potential, let's just wait in hope.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
man, i loved it hahah
but then again, I also loved Death Magnetic so yeah :lol:

I guess the 13 year old Metallica fanboy still lives inside me :)

imho their only bad album is St.Anger. And damn, its BAD bad :rofl:
(and lulu, but i dont really count that one as a metallica album)

esp_eraser

Reaction score
I didnt mind the song, bit hard to get involved with it when the audio quality is of that nature.
Im thinking the song will be reworked a number of times and cut back till theyve got a goid product, solo was almost noodling at the end.
Anyways good luck to them, they're working from a low base and I cant see them hitting the lows they did with st anger...

JoshuaVonFlash

SSBRO.org regular
Reaction score
not being spiteful, being honest. Didn't like anything off that record, and the muddy production didn't help one bit.
You think this is better than everything on DM, everything? Did you like skim through the album, there are at least 4 or 5 songs I'd say where better than this. Sure DM doesn't have the best mix, but saying this is beter than everything on DM is just silly.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Almost all of these riffs sound identical to another riff from one of their songs. Maybe that's just Metallica, though. I loved Death Magnetic, so I hope this is at least as good.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Sounds like a "Metallica shreds" video. :lol:

Seriously, with the risk of being flamed, I wish they would go back to their Load - Reload era sound. It was good hard rock, and it didn't sound like they were trying too hard. But that's just my opinion.

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
I cut my teeth on Metallica, i straight up loved them. But then they released the "Black album"....I did like it but I knew that the winds of change were approaching & things would never be the same.

I've honestly given every release after that a good listen through but nothing appeals to me. It feels that they've lost their kick they had when they were younger. It's great they still play their older stuff live but it doesn't even sound the same due to the change in James vocal approach.

I need a time machine to bring back the old youthful Metallica. Killem All, Ride the Lightning, And Justice..., Master of puppets. Now that's Metallica !!

Ok sorry I went way off topic.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Super familiar sounding. Can't place it this early in the morning, but I could swear that the chorus is recycled. I'm totally ok with that though, and I completely disagree that this is better than Death Magnetic. That album was great, as was the 4 song EP that came afterwards.

rapterr15

Reaction score
I agree with the above poster, this stuff seems too generic and them writing stuff like this at 50 is just kinda weird. I also enjoyed Load and Reload and that style just seems more appropriate considering the stage of life these guys are in

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
I lost interest before making it half way. They just sound like a cover band of themselves now.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Guitar Hero Metallilca wants their B-side tracks back.

Seriously though....mediocre at best IMO. Definitely another album of theirs I won't buy. The one I bought was AJFA and even hated that (due to the guitar production on it). I just really don't like them any more.

That being said...I'm still willing to give a studio cut a listen. There could be some other tracks that come on it that may make me change my mind...even this one as a studio release. Although based on "the black album" onwards, I'm skeptical that it'll get a 2d listen.

I'd actually LIKE to be proven wrong on this. I want to think they are still capable of good music and not just avg music for a buck.

')