New mix (Addictive Drums, Fruity loops, POD X3)

• Thread starter SomeChump
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

manana

Reaction score
guitar has good djent but is too muffled. Bring the high highs up like around 10Khz.

SomeChump

Just a Chump
Reaction score
Alright, I'll check into that. In my last mix the highs were too high, I might have gone overboard on taking them down xD. Thanks man. :)

Robokid

Reaction score
Ya, sounds good man but it would help if the drums were mixed a bit better and guitars had some more presence. I'm listening through some crap speakers right now but when i can give it a peep through my monitors ill repost

SomeChump

Just a Chump
Reaction score
Ya, sounds good man but it would help if the drums were mixed a bit better and guitars had some more presence. I'm listening through some crap speakers right now but when i can give it a peep through my monitors ill repost

"Mixed a little better"? Details? lol.

Robokid

Reaction score
Haha sorry, as you probably already know, overheads help create the dynamics in the mix because of the cymbals' different positions in the stereo field and their different timbers combined with that.

Well, in this song, it sounds like it is mixed well in laptop speakers, but when I listened through smaller speakers (cell phone, etc.), the high end of the cymbals is overpowering the guitars a lot. This is pretty common in small speakers because small speakers produce higher frequencies much better, pulling out the highs (tweeters are a good example). In smaller speakers that are full-range (again--cell phone speakers, some laptop speakers, some desktop stereo systems, etc.), that means the high end is going to be more prominent than the mid to low stuff. But, since it was so apparent, it tells me that any small speakers is going to pull out the highs in this mix a LOT. This would be fine if the upper range of the entire mix was pretty balanced, but since the guitars are lacking a good bit of upper-mids/highs, the cymbals are just going to be really loud and the guitars are going to lose even more presence in some stereo systems. Basically, either tame the upper end of the cymbals (which I wouldn't advise, since overheads usually fill the space up to the LPF, which I'm assuming you set at 20k or so), or do what manana said and pull some highs out of the guitars. This way, it won't just sound really good on one system, but anywhere you play it. That's why the "car test" is so infamous and important. Playing your tune in a car with a good system can make anything sound good, but playing it in a car with a crappy system that you are familiar with can really bring out the flaws for correction.

Honestly, it sounds like the lower mids are there in the guitar tone, I think it's more of an upper-mid/treble thing. Sounds good overall though my man.

SomeChump

Just a Chump
Reaction score
Haha sorry, as you probably already know, overheads help create the dynamics in the mix because of the cymbals' different positions in the stereo field and their different timbers combined with that.

Well, in this song, it sounds like it is mixed well in laptop speakers, but when I listened through smaller speakers (cell phone, etc.), the high end of the cymbals is overpowering the guitars a lot. This is pretty common in small speakers because small speakers produce higher frequencies much better, pulling out the highs (tweeters are a good example). In smaller speakers that are full-range (again--cell phone speakers, some laptop speakers, some desktop stereo systems, etc.), that means the high end is going to be more prominent than the mid to low stuff. But, since it was so apparent, it tells me that any small speakers is going to pull out the highs in this mix a LOT. This would be fine if the upper range of the entire mix was pretty balanced, but since the guitars are lacking a good bit of upper-mids/highs, the cymbals are just going to be really loud and the guitars are going to lose even more presence in some stereo systems. Basically, either tame the upper end of the cymbals (which I wouldn't advise, since overheads usually fill the space up to the LPF, which I'm assuming you set at 20k or so), or do what manana said and pull some highs out of the guitars. This way, it won't just sound really good on one system, but anywhere you play it. That's why the "car test" is so infamous and important. Playing your tune in a car with a good system can make anything sound good, but playing it in a car with a crappy system that you are familiar with can really bring out the flaws for correction.

Honestly, it sounds like the lower mids are there in the guitar tone, I think it's more of an upper-mid/treble thing. Sounds good overall though my man.

=D Now that is a critique. Yeah, I see what you're saying. I have a little work to do yet. Starting a Mix from a clean slate is always fun though. :) I appreciate it man.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Awesome !

I like this. Nice drum sound! I was using Addicitve Drums for a while, but never got such a nice sound out of it as you did. (definitely not the program's shortcoming but mine).

eric_was

Reaction score
drums sound pretty legit. really keen on using addictive drums now. any chance of revealing some settings or anything ;)

')