New mix, need critique :)

• Thread starter svenlk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Look, I don't wanna say it sounds like aliens, but it's totally aliens.

Mix sounds great!

Poho

Reaction score
ALIENNSNSSNSS

This is cool. I would try maybe putting the clean melody a little deeper into the mix/dialling it down, and maybe beefing up the distorted guitars in terms of presence and volume. The mix sounds a little narrow to me, but that may just be because the clean bit is standing out. Sounds good though!

svenlk

Reaction score
thanks guys, i really appreciate the feedback, as for the mix sounding narrow i am trying to figure a way to make the low end more beef, any ideas perhaps? to make for a fuller sound?. thanks guys!! -sven

PAZ

Reaction score
This rules!
Widening/beefing your mix Is all in the bass guitar! - Well it can be haha
What are you using for bass and how are you processing it?

svenlk

Reaction score
This rules!
Widening/beefing your mix Is all in the bass guitar! - Well it can be haha
What are you using for bass and how are you processing it?

im trying withought over compensating haha, for bass im using an ibanez 4 string in drop D. as for my fx chain it goes as followed; bass, Reapitch(shifted down 5 semitones) amplitube, BBE sonic maz, EQ, and then compression. and thats prettty much it :hbang:

PAZ

Reaction score
im trying withought over compensating haha, for bass im using an ibanez 4 string in drop D. as for my fx chain it goes as followed; bass, Reapitch(shifted down 5 semitones) amplitube, BBE sonic maz, EQ, and then compression. and thats prettty much it :hbang:

+1 for Reaper!
Try taking the recorded bass and copying it onto 2 new tracks - 3 in total - and process them all differently.
Make the first very clean with some low and high mid boosts for clarity and bass respose. Take the second and compress it with some minimal eq to make it punchy to your tastes. Also add a bit of distortion but not enough to actually make ot gritty. On the third scoop out alot of the mids and boost a bit of the high end. Distort the .... out of this track and blend it into the other 2. This may sound extensive but i garuntee it will warm up your entire track and make your bass presence more than it is. Also all the tracks should be running what ever vst plugins you use too amp your bass, just adjust the presets from clean to gritty from track 1-3. Lemme know if it works like it does for me :)

svenlk

Reaction score
+1 for Reaper!
Try taking the recorded bass and copying it onto 2 new tracks - 3 in total - and process them all differently.
Make the first very clean with some low and high mid boosts for clarity and bass respose. Take the second and compress it with some minimal eq to make it punchy to your tastes. Also add a bit of distortion but not enough to actually make ot gritty. On the third scoop out alot of the mids and boost a bit of the high end. Distort the .... out of this track and blend it into the other 2. This may sound extensive but i garuntee it will warm up your entire track and make your bass presence more than it is. Also all the tracks should be running what ever vst plugins you use too amp your bass, just adjust the presets from clean to gritty from track 1-3. Lemme know if it works like it does for me :)

im going to try that right now and let you know how it works, ill try n upload something :), thanks for the advice - sven

svenlk

Reaction score
+1 for Reaper!

ok! totally difff song but i tried that bass idea you were talking about , heres how it turned out :)
stick stickly intro by svenigin on SoundCloud - Hear the world

PAZ

Reaction score
Shiiiet dude! Way better imo, your mix actually sounds full and glued together! I would suggest busing all 3 bass tracks to 1 new track and low cutting the sub bass from it so your kick can breathe a bit more and you do not have the low subsonic hum. Do you prefer this mix compared to your last?

Cheers, i am stoked to hear some of your next original tunes!

svenlk

Reaction score
Shiiiet dude! Way better imo, your mix actually sounds full and glued together! I would suggest busing all 3 bass tracks to 1 new track and low cutting the sub bass from it so your kick can breathe a bit more and you do not have the low subsonic hum. Do you prefer this mix compared to your last?

Cheers, i am stoked to hear some of your next original tunes!

i did mix it down to 1 track a put a hi pass filter :), and all i can say daaamn, thanks for the quick advice man, i definitely prefer this mix to my last :hbang:

Crimsonghost

Reaction score
Its a cool song you have there. But the low end is lacking power. And the drums sound very thin. That lead you have is a bit too much "in your face". The guitars imo sound nice and tight, with a good tone.

Maybe try some eq and compression on the drum bus to tighten them up a bit.

Btw...it WAS aliens.

Crimsonghost

Reaction score
Btw, just listened to the second demo after i made my last post. Sounds good. Defiantly tighter and everything seems more pronounced.:hbang:

')