New mix test for an album base mix

• Thread starter dimensional audio
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dimensional audio

Reaction score
What do you think of this? I am trying to make a solid template for my entire album then tweak as needed

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/dimensional-audio/new-mix-30[/SC]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

charrondev

Reaction score
It sounds really nice! I'm really digging the snare in toms in that mix. I'd recommend taking a look at the kick drum, I think it needs to cut through bit more. I don't know if you're side chaining it to a compressor on the bass but if you aren't that would probably do the trick. If not maybe a bit of extra high end would also work.

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
I'd clip the kick before side chaining it to the bass. I'd also take out some of the 150hz on the guitars.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I can hear the kick drum just fine- I think it's a matter of taste at this point. Too much extra high end might just lead to excessive clicky typewriter kick drum sound.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
First things I noticed were:

- Snare reverb is really present. If you want that big cracking snare try a transient designer before the reverb.

- A little too much high mids in the guitars for my taste, with not enough low mid growl.

- Low mids are muddy as all hell. They need some more time sculpting around each other. I think it's a China cymbal later in the song that just ....s over everything when it comes in...

Otherwise it's punchy. Drums are sounding phat.

dimensional audio

Reaction score
I'd clip the kick before side chaining it to the bass. I'd also take out some of the 150hz on the guitars.

Thanks! I will try that out

First things I noticed were:

- Snare reverb is really present. If you want that big cracking snare try a transient designer before the reverb.

- A little too much high mids in the guitars for my taste, with not enough low mid growl.

- Low mids are muddy as all hell. They need some more time sculpting around each other. I think it's a China cymbal later in the song that just ....s over everything when it comes in...

Otherwise it's punchy. Drums are sounding phat.

Thanks a lot. For the reverb should I do more attack and less sustain?

I have a lot of trouble nailing that "bulb" low growl sound. Any tips on how to eq that?

I will eq the mids more I have to adjust that china for sure

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Thanks! I will try that out

Thanks a lot. For the reverb should I do more attack and less sustain?

No more sustain. You want the reverb to have the body of your snare, while the crack of the transient comes from the track itself.

I have a lot of trouble nailing that "bulb" low growl sound. Any tips on how to eq that?

As has been suggested, around the 150Hz area is a good place to start. Find the stuff you don't want in the tone and just remove that. The low growl stuff is all about picking attack and good gain structure.

I will eq the mids more I have to adjust that china for sure[/QUOTE]

')