New Mix with a 6505+ and mesa oversized 4x12

Reaction score
Still using my same signal chain: Ibanez RG-Ibanez TS9-ISP Decimator-6505+-MXR Carbon Copy-Mesa oversized 4x12-Sure SM57-Maudio Fastrack-reaper. Bass was recorded with my Ibanez pitch shifted, drums are free samples, all plug ins are free (no pirated software)

The ending is kinda sketchy because the gate threshold couldn't carry out my guitars sustain and gate the metronome in the background at the same time but eh it was an impromptu ending anyways haha.

Advice on mixing/mastering would be greatly appreciated because I'm still a newb :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/nick-sperlein/stream-of-consciousness

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

col

blah.
Reaction score
The drums sound kind of muddy/distant. Maybe put s very wide scoop centered around 500Hz on them, with a 1-2 dB cut. Also put some parallel compression on them.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Drums needs some work. The kicks needs a bit more in the mid-high to not just sound like a "thd". Lower the reverb on the snare a bit, give it a bit more bottom and just toy a bit with it. Turn up your overhead mic just a bit, and tweak with the EQ. Can't exactly tell what parameters on that one to mess with tho, but I'd say possibly some higher mids and be careful with the highs.

Bass sounds funny. I see you're not using an actual bass guitar for that job, so maybe instead use a VST for the job. They take up fairly different sonic spaces, so it'd would more or less be easier to use a synth bass rather than battling with getting your guitar to sound like a bass.

The guitar tone is pretty decent tho! At least the rhythm sounds great; it's more the lead that is a bit on the harsher side, so maybe dial in some lows and remove some highs on that one to smooth it out.

Also, dial back the (rhythm) guitars a bit. They're pretty up front, and can help making the rest of the audial room sound clearer, picking up even more stuff that was missed on the first take.
:2c:

Latest posts