New Monitors for Recording?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
These won't be much better.

For the same amount of money you can probably get a pair of decent studio Monitors like the Yamaha HS50Ms or some KrKs.

These are overpriced hugely for what they are.

Hell you'd be better off with a pair of Microlab speakers even. Those things are killer for how cheap they are.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Logitech stuff is nice (that specifici set is way overpriced though) for gaming but absolutely not designed for studio mixing. Get a pair of [insert studio brand here] nstead. Which ones ? People debate endlessly between Rokits, Yamahas and Adams so I'd pick one of those three brands in your budget.

Tyler

Reaction score
For the bang for your buck, I have seen a lot of people talk about how good KRKs are because of their upper mid response.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
For the bang for your buck, I have seen a lot of people talk about how good KRKs are because of their upper mid response.

I tend to recommend the Yamaha's over the KRKs. The KRKs have an accentuated bass end that makes them great for mixing Bass heavy stuff like dance music, but not so good for othee styles. I think for the price the Yamaha's are far better. They aren't Genelecs or Adams, but for their price in that range they really are probably the best for mixing.

Rational Gaze

LithiumDawn Voicebox
Reaction score
I prefer Tannoys over KRK's and Yamahas any day of the week. Flattest frequency response at that price range in my opinion.

ibbyfreak13

Reaction score
I recently went through the monitor selection phase myself. I was going to with the Yamahas but a guy work with told me I should go with the jbl lsr series. Curious I did an A/B comparison and the Yamahas sounded very harsh compared to the jbl's. So I got the jbl's and I love those things

Tyler

Reaction score
I have heard that Tannoy has very flat response, completely forgot about those! As far as Yamaha I havent actually heard any of those, so I wouldn't be able give any objection

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Yea Tannoys are flat, but I personally have found the Yamaha's to be the most revealing monitors. Particularly when you flick on the 2k boost they work pretty much like NS10Ms... So if you make a mix sound good on them they sound good on pretty much anything.

Tyler

Reaction score
I did research yesterday and pretty much when it came down to Tannoy vs Yamaha, the Yamaha HS50 won multiple times.

manana

Reaction score
M-audio Bx5a deluxe(comes as a pair) I got it for 145 on ebay brand new, very good for the price!

ArrowHead

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning on purchasing a bad-ass new computer sound system, as my current speakers are definitely unfit to produce music with.

I'm contemplating something like this:
Logitech 5.1 Computer Speakers System (Z906) : 5.1 Channel Computer Speakers - Best Buy Canada

What're your thoughts and suggestions?

Not for mixing.

With a system like that, it's designed to have a big huge low end to make movies, music, and games sound awesome.

Problem is, when you're mixing if your speakers are boosting the low and high end, your natural reaction will be to turn these levels DOWN more than you need to in order to get a balanced mix.

The end result is that you'll think everything sounds much better on your new speakers, but when you go to play your mixes on other systems it will suddenly sound weak in the high and low ends. This is why people suggest a flat-response for monitors - so that you know what you're hearing is your mix, not your speakers. However the speakers are only PART of getting a flat response. The room you are in can exaggerate and confuse frequencies just as badly as a poorly chosen speaker.

Short version: look for "monitors" specifically made for mixing and recording music. Not fancy multichannel computer speakers aimed at gaming and movies.

Latest posts

')