New Music made with only BASS

ToMurderAMachine

Reaction score
That Deep Sauce | To Murder A Machine

I'm new around here, and don't know exactly what to expect, but i figured i'd show you fellow bass players some of the music i write using only bass guitars. Above is a three song EP entitled "that deep sauce". Each song was written and recorded on my warwick 6 string thumb, and they're all pretty "rock" oriented. Hopefully you'll dig that. Anywho, feel free to leave me some feedback. I do plan to make more of this stuff. (PS, if you can't tell, my style is heavily influenced by Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne. ) :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LivingTimmy

Timmy!!
Reaction score
Nice! They're some really calming songs. Some real nice tones and effects too! I have had a similar idea, writing a song with only my 5 string bass, and a bunch of effects on my Line 6 POD HD500. I'm unsure what style my one would be though, I listen to anything :D . Besides the Warwick Thumb, what else did you use to make these songs (Amps, effects, etc.)?

ToMurderAMachine

Reaction score
Oh, and to livingTimmy, I DI the bass into an a presonus tube pre amp (i know, its a terrible piece of equipment haha, no need to tell me again.) then from there it goes into the mbox, and then into the computer, where i do literally ALL the effects, mixing, and mastering inside FL studio... (yeah, finally a musician who doesn't use FL to make dubstep haha)

LivingTimmy

Timmy!!
Reaction score
Oh, and to livingTimmy, I DI the bass into an a presonus tube pre amp (i know, its a terrible piece of equipment haha, no need to tell me again.) then from there it goes into the mbox, and then into the computer, where i do literally ALL the effects, mixing, and mastering inside FL studio... (yeah, finally a musician who doesn't use FL to make dubstep haha)

Nice. I usually just plug in my bass directly into my Komplete Audio 6 and use free VSTs or the ones that come with Cubase. I find that I don't really like the bass amp sim on the HD500 too much (I sometimes even use the Vox AC30 amp sim for bass cos I think it sounds better :lol: ) . Would I need a preamp to make my tone a lot better and more powerful sounding? I've only really started learning about electronics and effects over the last year :p

ToMurderAMachine

Reaction score
Thanks guys, really happy you guys are digging the jams!, and LivingTimmy, a preamp is only going to "warm up" your input signal. Its a very minute difference, but I feel it gives me more control over levels. They honestly don't change tone as much as you may think. Some will, but most don't in my experience.

LivingTimmy

Timmy!!
Reaction score
Thanks guys, really happy you guys are digging the jams!, and LivingTimmy, a preamp is only going to "warm up" your input signal. Its a very minute difference, but I feel it gives me more control over levels. They honestly don't change tone as much as you may think. Some will, but most don't in my experience.

Ah cool. Might just use what I already have then and save money. Means I can spend more money on another bass :D .

LivingTimmy

Timmy!!
Reaction score
Will the next album be all bass too? Cos its just too awesome :yesway: . Really shows the full potential of bass, not just as a backing instrument that most people see a bass as.

Here's the all bass thing I'm doing, its a very metal song though. I'm thinking of ways to expand it into a full song, like some cleaner parts, solos, etc.

ToMurderAMachine

Reaction score
^ nice man! i dig the crazy fast triplets. Is the distorted section bass as well? sounds like guitar to me, but then again, i've made a bass sound like a guitar several times. Yeah the new stuff i'm working is turning out really like,,, indie rock-ish i want to say? But i'm exploring different modes and such to make it really awkward sounding haha.

LivingTimmy

Timmy!!
Reaction score
^ nice man! i dig the crazy fast triplets. Is the distorted section bass as well? sounds like guitar to me, but then again, i've made a bass sound like a guitar several times. Yeah the new stuff i'm working is turning out really like,,, indie rock-ish i want to say? But i'm exploring different modes and such to make it really awkward sounding haha.

Everything that you hear (Besides the Drums of course :lol: ) is bass. I have made a few interesting patches that I could possibly add into the song too :D .
Looking forward to your new stuff too!

ixlramp

Reaction score
Excellent music.
^ there ya go! haha, i'm trying to save up for a custom built 8 string hahaha (not the octave style either).
Good, i want to encourage you to look into either ERB or restringing any normal bass with higher and looser strings, including plain strings. The electronics, mass, strength and scale of a bass makes an excellent foundation for ERG or guitar type tunings. There are of course string/fret spacing issues for some people but in all other ways a bass makes a better guitar than a guitar.
Simply, because bass > guitar, bass can contain a guitar but a guitar cannot contain a bass.
My 2 basses are restrung with baritone pitch type tunings at low tension and i play them like guitars, i have used strings as thin as .007 tuned up to the D# just below guitar top E. I am essentially a guitarist who doesn't like teh dimensions of a guitar.

ToMurderAMachine

Reaction score
^i've tried the restringing thing. The 8 string will be tuned F#, B, E, A, D, G, C, F. I'll still effectively have alot of guitar range on that thing. haha.