New neck? Body? P-ups? Help? Pls?

• Thread starter nikki-k
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nikki-k

Reaction score
Hi!
A li'l history, then the questions...so, feel free to stop here. Although I have always been a tom boy, I can babble like any other girl at a pre-teen slumber party :D

I have been playing 7's for eons now, ever since the Universe first debuted. My first guitar was a mid-70's Iceman, but then I played a mid-70's Les Paul Custom, and that was it...until the JEM and RG500 series debuted. And then the Universe gave me another string. I have a UV PWH, and a UV GR. I have owned and played SOOO many different makes/models over the years, and these two are my favs. I tried having a 7620 neck customized, but it did not turn out the way I wanted.

I love the neck on my PWH. But, I REALLY want to sell my PWH and GR...IF I could find someone who can make a neck with the same profile as the PWH. Why? I want a blank fretboard, with antique/off-white binding. One ebony on maple, one maple on maple. Yeah, binding on a maple neck. No side dots. But, it is the profile of the back of the neck I am so afraid I will never find someone able to replicate. I don't care if the headstock is the same shape even.

I like the Universe body shape. I do not know if I truly would want a middle single. For the maple fretboard one, I want to do either flame or quilt top, and do a nice "butterscotch" theme on it I think, complete with gold hardware...but, I love the Edge trem, and it does not have a 7-string gold version. No pickguards on either one. I have an Evo-7 that is sweet. It doesn't sound like others I have used/tried, almost like it was wound differently or something. Not sure what others I would use. And for the ebony board one, I want to do my own paint on it.

So, I guess the big question is:
Does anyone know a decently priced place to get 2 bodies and 2 necks? The neck is the rough part. I like the AANJ on the newer Universe, but I cannot stand the profile. The original UV PWH profile is perfect IMO.

I wrote Christopher Woods, and got a response sayng the body would be no problem. He has a sweet quilt in his store as well... so, it is simply necks I need now, unless someone knows a place that I would be better off grabbing both from.

Pickups. Fun. I have the Evo-7 for the bridge of the ebony board guitar. I also have a sustainer system for a 7-string I want to put in one of them. I have a really strong wish to do the maple quilt with maple neck "butterscotch sundae" guitar with just neck and bridge pickups, no center single. But, I want them to be with gold covers, ala Les Paul Customs. Does anyone even make gold pickup covers for 7-string pickups? But, if someone did, that would mean I would have to "find" all the other gold hardware too I guess. Any ideas? Maybe go gold floyd rather than Edge? Otherwise, I guess I could go with some creme pickups. I prefer Dimarzio, but would be open to suggestions. Looking for more of a warm, singing sustain but with good articulation, and a nice initial bite to the note. All that maple should help that part though I think. Not doing heavy metal, but definitely get into some harder rock stuff. None of the ultra gain stuff.

Long post, tall order. I am patient, but want to stay in the USA on this. I will wait for the right trem to pop up used/close to new to save some $$$. My budget is basically what I would get from selling the PWH and GR. The PWH is in great shape, a few dings, no wood chips, so I think I could get a decent price. The GR though...it has sections of green gone, a couple wood chips, and it is getting close to time for a fret job.

I am pretty old school, love prog rock (Yes to Dream Theater, 'bout as heavy as it gets for me these days), and while I would love to have a 7-string bound neck version of the JEM7VWH, I think would actually prefer my necks to be inlay and side dot free. Sorry for the long first post. I just do not know where else to ask all these questons,and instead of posting like 4-5 threads, I figured why not put it all in one easy to ignore package? ;)

Oh- yeah- thought about having someone simply mod my PWH neck. But, that seemed a bit too blasphemous to me...and I imagine others would feel the same. This way, I get a dream, while someone else might get theirs as well...

thx!
nikki :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
chris woods actually sent you an e-mail back?

and no, you aren't going to be able to find gold pickup covers.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Haha. :wavey: Welcome!

Unfortunately, to date, no one has made covers for seven string pickups or indeed covered sevenstring pickkups except Kent Armstrong, who made an emg-type affair. Metal covers remain elusive to the community - even the Epiphone Les Paul 7's have uncovered poles. :(

Pickup wise your best bet is, if you can afford it, Bareknuckle Pickups (everyone here knew I was going to say that :lol:). Besides that I am not too familiar with other brands. I'm not going to say anything - zimbloth is the master of all things pickup related and he knows what he is talking about - seeing as he has tried almost everything on the market :lol:

You could always try Drew. Possibly the biggest softy on the board, he's scared to touch his gain control in case little demons come out and make him play naughty things.
:lol:
Joking aside, he probably has a good idea about the "non-metal" pickups out there. :D

Hope you stick around and enjoy it here!

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, and how much are you looking for the GR? I'm looking for one besides an S7 :D How bad are the chips in it? :lol:

nikki-k

Reaction score
Thx for the replies so far...

OK- sustainer is from a Fernandes Revolver Pro 7. Gutted, and now I just need to load new pickups in it, rewire it, and sell it. It is nearly brand new, just minus the sustainer. I knew I would want to throw one in...and that is because...I have a fretless Fernandes Revolver Pro 7! I just prefer the Ibanez original UV neck, and did not want to waste time sculpting the Fern neck, just to have it come out *wrong.* I was going to throw it in the PWH, but once again, blasphemy ;)

Drew! Help please, when you get a chance, on the pickup front :D I will search back through posts. I just like flexability in pickup wiring (4 conductor hums), and something like a Dimarzio 6 string X2N is WAYY too much gain. But, I want something with a little more mid/hi mid and attack than say, an old school stickered Gibson PAF.

I am actually going to be searching for some 7-string single coils as well; I was going to have some custom 7's made by Wayne Charvel, but they got backed up, and Michael called and wanted to know if I would take the guitars unfinished. I asked where they were, and they werent routed for pickups or bridges, but jack was drilled, neck pocket done, and two were going to have binding, which was cut for. So, I have 3 unfinished Wayne Charvel 7 string guitars to play with! I am going to sell the quilt and the flame with rosewood and ebony boards, but keeping a plain top and maple board neck for myself, and make a nice 7-string Wayne Charvel Strat! :D So, I need some singles for neck, mid and bridge with different qualities...

Back on topic, sort of...
The PWH and GR. I have pics, and will be posting in the for sale section here, and on Jemsite. Actually, I think I will ost here otnight, and then tomorrow on Jemsote, giving the true 7-string enthusiasts first shot!

I am in a wheelchair, and dont drive, and have a BUNCH of stuff I am selling, and need more packing material. I have the guitar bixes from U-Line, just need bubble wrap and stuff now... I have not listed due to that, so anything I get a deal going on wouldnt ship til MOnday at the earliest...but that is for the for sale section :D

Oh- yeah- Chris did get back to me on the first email. I sent a second, just waiting for an answer on that. If I sell both UV's, then I will be trying to find necks to go with the new bodies. Seems like a year ago you could throw a stick and hit someone ho would do a 7 neck, and now you have to hit Australia...

')