New Obscura

• Thread starter thrashcomics
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
P.S. I'm really sick of youtube suggesting that if i like obscura that I also might like the band "camera obscura." nobody on earth likes both bands.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Merged, as this track is on the new album.

Personally, I'd buy the Deluxe Edition of the album just for this track. Now where did I put my credit card........:shred:

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
Merged, as this track is on the new album.

Personally, I'd buy the Deluxe Edition of the album just for this track. Now where did I put my credit card........:shred:
no prob, just thought i'd give it it's own thread since the obscura one's been around for a while with little activity.

Wes Mantooth

I Love Fuzz!
Reaction score
Between this and my newly acquired Avalanche of Worms, I'm set I no longer feel the need to listen to anything else for a few days

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
Between this and my newly acquired Avalanche of Worms, I'm set I no longer feel the need to listen to anything else for a few days

Avalanche of Worms is so good! So is Omnivium.

Anybody care for pictures of the deluxe package?

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
after 5 listens or so, ive certainly warmed up to album quite a bit.... i was not a fan of cosmogenesis as whole... i only really like 2 or 3 songs, but this album is different. i hear a nice progression in sound, the overall songwriting is tighter as well. this definitely tops cosmogenesis IMO... and i love the addition of the 7 strings... they totally use it in the right places and never overuse it

AChRush1349

Causal Anomalie
Reaction score
This album is great! I loved Cosmogenesis, but got a bit lost in some of the songs after Orbital elements (such a good song). I think this album flows much better as a whole than the last one. They really perfected their sound! The vocals have improved SO much! (not that they were ever bad!). I heard they used sevens on this album, but haven't heard all that much in the way of that. Anyone know what sort of gear they used for this album? Other than the obvious killer Ran signature, and Engls.

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
This album is great! I loved Cosmogenesis, but got a bit lost in some of the songs after Orbital elements (such a good song). I think this album flows much better as a whole than the last one. They really perfected their sound! The vocals have improved SO much! (not that they were ever bad!). I heard they used sevens on this album, but haven't heard all that much in the way of that. Anyone know what sort of gear they used for this album? Other than the obvious killer Ran signature, and Engls.

im pretty sure christian used an RGD2127z on this album, but dont quote me on that

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
There's definitely 7s on there...Ocean Gateways and Euclidean Elements at the very least (I haven't listened past Euclidean Elements yet)

It's quite tasty, but I can't shake the feeling they have a little bit of an identity crisis. Still doesn't seem to be one defined cohesive "Obscura" sound, if you will. Well, there's elements of it there, but the majority of the time it feels like they're paying tribute to Death, Necrophagist, Gorguts, Cynic, or Morbid Angel.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
It's quite tasty, but I can't shake the feeling they have a little bit of an identity crisis. Still doesn't seem to be one defined cohesive "Obscura" sound, if you will. Well, there's elements of it there, but the majority of the time it feels like they're paying tribute to Death, Necrophagist, Gorguts, Cynic, or Morbid Angel.

totally agree with this. I was hoping it would change with the second album, but that's not the case.

Christian Muenzner

Reaction score
There's definitely 7s on there...Ocean Gateways and Euclidean Elements at the very least (I haven't listened past Euclidean Elements yet)

Not trying to be a smart ass or to defend my own music here, but how could I pay tribute to a band I actually played in? The only similarity I can see with Necro on the new album is a little bit in the lead department, but that's because I played in that band and did my own solos there, it's my style. It's a little bit annoying to hear for 3 years that we copy their solo style, because I played my style there, which is why it sounded the way it does, at least for my leads. A singer also still has the same voice when he's with a new band. As for the other bands you mentioned, I do not really listen to any of them except for Death, but there is no intended tribute to them in those 4 songs you listened to.

Valknut

Banned
Reaction score
The only similarity I can see with Necro on the new album is a little bit in the lead department, but that's because I played in that band and did my own solos there, it's my style.

Yeah totally. You use a lot of sequenced tapping, and outlandish and unique melodies that make up a noteable part of your style. It sounds fucking great, and I think it would be a retarded request to ask you to just not play something that makes you sound so unique, and makes you such a valuable player in the music world. The way you play is refreshing, and that is what made necrophagist leads sound so great and unique in the first place which is probably why people are seeing similarities at all. and your playing really evened out muhammeds harmonic minor runs (my opinion here lol)

So I totally agree that the only reason necro sounds similar is the fact that you were fucking in necro lol. I don't think you are being a smart ass at all to be honest. Its just the truth.

')