New Orange Super Crush amp (Based on the Rockerverb MKIII?)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

At 2:50, he talks about (but is still a bit hush hush) about a new Orange Crush series amp. The hint he gives is "look at the control panel and see what other amps it's similar to" And all I can think of is the Rockerverb Mark III.

86045c0a7bba21ed782b30bd62404c5d.png

Rockerv503H-large.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
Are solid state amps still considered generally dog shit or have things gotten better since the Crate days?

sleewell

Reaction score
interesting. the mkIII has a built in attenuator... a solid state amp doesn't really need that.

it sounds like it has the pedal baby power section so the clean stays clean all the way up and has DI outputs that will simulate either an open back 2x12 or closed back 4x12.

i have heard these amps are pretty good and have considered one as a backup.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yeah solid state amps are fine now, I do still prefer a tube power section, but generally these'll get you like 99% of the way there now.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Are solid state amps still considered generally dog shit or have things gotten better since the Crate days?

They've been good even in those days. Randall RG/Century, Marshall Mosfet Lead and Valvestate series. Even Crate had a good SS amps (The GX130C). The Crush Pro/Super Crush are based on the Rockerverb and people seem to really love them.

efiltsohg

Reaction score

Some of them have always been good (Peavey, Randall). They are definitely different but it works well for certain types of music

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
makes sense they'd come out with this, seeing as they discontinued the crush.

Seems like they discontinued it to make room for the Super Crush line. I guess the Crush Pro line was based on the Mark II Rockverb and this'll be based on the Mark III Rockerverb.

Some of them have always been good (Peavey, Randall). They are definitely different but it works well for certain types of music

Whoops, forgot about Peavey. The Supreme line is the tits.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone actually had experience with the Pedal Baby? Would it be an upgrade over the power amp in the Crush Pro?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Has anyone actually played crush series? Basically garbage so far. 99% of a tube version? Mid-tier modelers get closer.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score

The bad rep SS amps have I'm sure is due to them being paired with not-so-good cabs.

Orange are thick and fizzy "singing-mids" focused amps more meant for doom and sludge and rock so they really don't interest me, who wants to boost and scoop everything

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I kept hearing claims of the 100w heads being really good sounding for the price and I was nearly intrigued enough to buy one, then they discontinued them. Definitely would be curious to hear this - my experience with the rest of the Crush line has been pretty underwhelming so I don't have high expectations for the big amps, but there's a lot of people out there who rave about them, so who knows!

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Has anyone actually played crush series? Basically garbage so far. 99% of a tube version? Mid-tier modelers get closer.
I was referencing Solid state tech in general, not so much this amp. Never played one, tbh.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Anyone actually had experience with the Pedal Baby? Would it be an upgrade over the power amp in the Crush Pro?
I have experience with the pedalbaby and yes, it would be an upgrade imo. Very good poweramp for the size. The MosValve 942 (500w) is still the best SS poweramp out there though imo.

laxu

Reaction score

I think they are quite alright for what they are, cheap beginner solid-state amps. Same for the Orange Micro series. Personally I would pick a Boss Katana in that price range.

There's always been good solid-state amps out there. It's just that when people think solid-state they think of the cheap beginner grade amps with bad speakers etc. That gives them the same stigma as many have for digital modeling, thinking a Boss Katana is as good as it gets for that.

gnoll

Reaction score
I don't think solid state amps are good, not compared to tube amps.

They're dead and thunky in feel and tone. Solid state amps don't even try to compete with tube amps, do they? It's mostly cheap beginner stuff.

I'd like to be wrong but I haven't heard a good solid state amp. Maybe it's possible if someone put some money and effort into it, I don't know, but I haven't seen it happening?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Idk about you guys ...but I fucking hate the boss Katana. I think it's one of the most over hyped, flat and boxy sounding modeling amps I've ever heard. I'd take a peavey Vypyr ANY day over a katana.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
DUDE the Orange solid state stuff is REALLY sick sounding. I might check this out if there's a slightly smaller sized spin on this.

Generally speaking, I really think SS amps get a really bad reputation because of that ill fated Marshall MG run in the early 2000s that had awful drive channels. I find a good SS amp to have a really signature sound. I own a Tech 21 Trademark (NAD post coming soon) that sounds SURPRISINGLY good.

')