New Orange Super Crush amp (Based on the Rockerverb MKIII?)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gnoll

Reaction score
Idk about you guys ...but I fucking hate the boss Katana. I think it's one of the most over hyped, flat and boxy sounding modeling amps I've ever heard. I'd take a peavey Vypyr ANY day over a katana.

Yeah I also didn't like it at all. To be fair I think the speaker in the combo is terrible and I haven't played the head but I don't think I'd like it that much more really.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
FFS start putting a resonance knob on these things. I would actually be interested. A lot of people I know gig with the Crush head and they're very happy. Beats the hell out of the MG's they used to play when I'd see them live (que "Oh no, not the bees! Nick Cage clip).

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Yeah I also didn't like it at all. To be fair I think the speaker in the combo is terrible and I haven't played the head but I don't think I'd like it that much more really.
Even through an oversized 3/4” birch ply 2x12 with an eminence swamp thang and wizard, the Boss Katana didn’t have much punch or bass in general IME. And I was running the 100w head. Desperately needed a bigger power amp, IMO. And a front panel resonance knob. Edit: and that was with a fucking baritone.

Bearitone

Reaction score
The Crush Pro 120 sucked ass imo. Hopefully the super crush 100 is better.

Also, as cool as that signature Orange midrange is, I feel they would catch more fish with a midsweep knob

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
Idk about you guys ...but I fucking hate the boss Katana. I think it's one of the most over hyped, flat and boxy sounding modeling amps I've ever heard. I'd take a peavey Vypyr ANY day over a katana.
The only way to get the Katana to sound good is to run it through a good cab, because the stock speaker is utter dog shit.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
The only way to get the Katana to sound good is to run it through a good cab, because the stock speaker is utter dog shit.
Makes sense, I had the 50watt combo for like 3 months, then got the artist, and was very very underwhelmed because i figured "oh i just got the lowest tier, that's why it sounds like ass", then got the Artist model and just got so bored with it I flipped it for like 50 percent what I paid for it because i wanted it out of my sight and my 6505 and my Mark V 25 back out of storage.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
Makes sense, I had the 50watt combo for like 3 months, then got the artist, and was very very underwhelmed because i figured "oh i just got the lowest tier, that's why it sounds like ass", then got the Artist model and just got so bored with it I flipped it for like 50 percent what I paid for it because i wanted it out of my sight and my 6505 and my Mark V 25 back out of storage.
Yeah, aside from it being used as a practice amp, the Katana is pretty much worthless unless it’s going through a good cab. I had my 100w Katana head running through my Mesa 2X12 cab, and it was actually pretty useable. Nothing special, but useable.

wakjob

Reaction score
I guess it all depends on what you're going after...
Brutalz metal down tuned fan fretted headless djenty ect... I'm sure there's better options.

The Crush series was good enough for Ty Tabor, but he can make most gear sound incredible.
I just plugged into some of my solid state stuff for the first time in eons...it has a sound, that's all I'll say.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Orange amps have... a sound pretty much. If you like that sound, you'll like the Crush Pro/Super Crush. Otherwise, you won't dig it. Oranges have a super fuzzy, fizzy, middy character. Imagine a British sounding Rectifier.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, since I've gone back to solid state from tube, I'm not going back to tube unless it's for an Orange Rockerverb. As far as sound goes, well... I'll let the snobs be snobs, but I quite enjoy what I get out of my Quilter with various pedals pushing my Mesa 4x12. I'll try one and I'll probably even like it, but as far as Orange goes, I just really want that Rockerverb.

gnoll

Reaction score
Yeah, aside from it being used as a practice amp, the Katana is pretty much worthless unless it’s going through a good cab. I had my 100w Katana head running through my Mesa 2X12 cab, and it was actually pretty useable. Nothing special, but useable.
To be honest though what bothered me the most about Katana wasn't how bad it sounded, it was how you couldn't go online without hearing from everywhere how amaaaaazing it was. You couldn't watch any sort of guitar related youtube video without being hit over the head with how Katana was absolutely incredible and made everything else obsolete. The hype was painful. I don't think I've ever seen any piece of gear hyped like that.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
I don't think solid state amps are good, not compared to tube amps.

They're dead and thunky in feel and tone. Solid state amps don't even try to compete with tube amps, do they? It's mostly cheap beginner stuff.

I'd like to be wrong but I haven't heard a good solid state amp. Maybe it's possible if someone put some money and effort into it, I don't know, but I haven't seen it happening?

most of my favorite albums were tracked with either SS circuits or hybrid circuits :shrug:

81BCQCTYX0L._SL1500_.jpg 81VsDNlpDyL._SL1500_.jpg 220px-A_new_reign.jpg 26651ce9042541b8b276fd472d013d76.jpg Considered_Dead.jpg DespisetheSun.jpg NoneSoVile.jpg Suffocation-Pierced-From-Within-680x646.jpg Symbolic_Album.jpg The_common_man's_collapse.jpg

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
For some reason the Randall V2 and T2 dominated that Sumerian Records roster from 2006 - 2009. Veil of Maya (id), The Faceless (Akeldama and Planetary Duality), and Born of Osiris (New Reign) rocked them around that time.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
For some reason the Randall V2 and T2 dominated that Sumerian Records roster from 2006 - 2009. Veil of Maya (id), The Faceless (Akeldama and Planetary Duality), and Born of Osiris (New Reign) rocked them around that time.

They were all produced by Keene and tracked on his V2 (if I'm not mistaken)

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on what you're going after...
Brutalz metal down tuned fan fretted headless djenty ect... I'm sure there's better options.

The Crush series was good enough for Ty Tabor, but he can make most gear sound incredible.
I just plugged into some of my solid state stuff for the first time in eons...it has a sound, that's all I'll say.

Not in my experience. The warmth of a tube amp can make that muddy REALLY quick which is why you see a shit-ton of bands using tube amps who do that dial in very little bass in their tone. At that point, it's all mids and treble with a noise gate. I have personally found that with solid state, I can have more bass, seems tighter overall.

gnoll

Reaction score

Yeah I also like a bunch of albums where solid state amps were used.

But:

1) Maybe they would have sounded better with tube amps.

2) Albums having guitar tones that sound terrible can be very cool, it often makes them sound unique and characterful. That doesn't mean the amp is good though, but rather that it was put to good use.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
I’d definitely argue that in a mix, it can be difficult to tell if a solid state or tube amp was used.

But in person? The playing experience has always been so much more enjoyable with tube amps. Not to mention that there aren’t any solid states amps that are my “favorite”, they’ve all been tube amps.

')