New Orange Super Crush amp (Based on the Rockerverb MKIII?)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The model of the Rockerverb in the Helix is awesome. You could just get an HX Stomp and incorporate that into your rig.

Been meaning to try one of those, but I'm a try before you buy kinda guy, and they haven't had a Helix Stomp around me since God knows when.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Been meaning to try one of those, but I'm a try before you buy kinda guy, and they haven't had a Helix Stomp around me since God knows when.
Most of the online retailers have pretty generous return policies.

I remember pre-COVID that my local GC had a little Helix display kiosk where it was mounted on a stand so you could see and play with all the buttons at waist height when sitting. They plugged it into a Headrush FRFR monitor.

laxu

Reaction score
There's two tings I suspect are happening here. I don't really like the Katana either, because I'm super used to how my THR100 feels. That makes me think people are used to shit like VST plugins and are expecting those tones from a Katana. Secondly, what a THR or Neural DSP or whatever else give you is a "produced" tone, i.e. speaker cab > mic placement > (optionally) filtering and EQ. What you get from a Katana is just the sound out of the speaker cab. I suppose if people were actively aware of this they'd appreciate the Katana more? IDK, just my thoughts for whatever they're worth...

The THR100 is in a whole different price point though, at least in Europe it was I think close to double the price of the Katana originally. The THR100, especially the dual channel HD version is a pretty awesome amp though. I still regret selling mine a bit and hope Yamaha would make a 2nd gen version.

As far as I know the Katana is Boss GT-something modeling crammed together with a poweramp built for it and a speaker. So the modeling itself is decent but nowhere near best in the business. Because of the Katana's budget price point it's not going to have the highest quality speakers and whatnot either. Best way to describe it is "good value for money spent". It's a bit more flexible than say the Yamaha THR10 in the same price point as the Katana is fit for your first band for example and the THR10 by design is not. Why Yamaha does not make a THR50 1x12 combo I do not understand.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I remember pre-COVID that my local GC had a little Helix display kiosk where it was mounted on a stand so you could see and play with all the buttons at waist height when sitting. They plugged it into a Headrush FRFR monitor.

same setup where i work. headrush floor unit, pod hd500x, helix, and a pod go all set up on a rack above a Headrush FRFR.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
The THR100 is in a whole different price point though, at least in Europe it was I think close to double the price of the Katana originally. The THR100, especially the dual channel HD version is a pretty awesome amp though. I still regret selling mine a bit and hope Yamaha would make a 2nd gen version.

As far as I know the Katana is Boss GT-something modeling crammed together with a poweramp built for it and a speaker. So the modeling itself is decent but nowhere near best in the business. Because of the Katana's budget price point it's not going to have the highest quality speakers and whatnot either. Best way to describe it is "good value for money spent". It's a bit more flexible than say the Yamaha THR10 in the same price point as the Katana is fit for your first band for example and the THR10 by design is not. Why Yamaha does not make a THR50 1x12 combo I do not understand.
I played a THR100 Dual recently, and it absolutely annihilates a Boss Katana. To me, the Katana sounds like a modeling amp, which it is. But the THR100 Dual did NOT. In fact, not knowing that there was such a thing as real THR amp heads, and having never actually played one of the little practice amps, I didn't even think that it was a THR (It doesn't say it anywhere on the face of the amp I don't think). I had to get home and look up Yamaha amp heads and found it. Man, it's a little pricey, but it sounded great. 100x better than a Katana.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
the rhythm tones in that demo were sickkk
I actually super agree. Ya'll think this is gonna be another one of those amps that sounds super sick recorded, then playing it feels like a distortion pedal through a PA?

EDIT: Wish hunter's stuff didn't have so many layers in it, sometimes I just want to hear the amp in the mix without 50 other layers of itself.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I actually super agree. Ya'll think this is gonna be another one of those amps that sounds super sick recorded, then playing it feels like a distortion pedal through a PA?

EDIT: Wish hunter's stuff didn't have so many layers in it, sometimes I just want to hear the amp in the mix without 50 other layers of itself.

A good SS amp doesn't feel like a distortion pedal. Hell even a good distortion pedal doesn't feel like one.

There's a part later in the video where you can hear it single tracked.

Meldville

THE DOCTOR OF DOOM
Reaction score
The Crush 120 is a sick amp if you like Orange tones. We have a pair of them for backups in case our RV100s fail during a show. As with any amp, speakers make a big difference, but through our Atlas cabs with various Eminence and Weber speakers the CR120 can get 80ish percent of that RV tone.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
A good SS amp doesn't feel like a distortion pedal. Hell even a good distortion pedal doesn't feel like one.

There's a part later in the video where you can hear it single tracked.
Yeah I watched through, I thought it sounded pretty damn close to that rockerverb. Definitely tempting seeing as Orange models are the only thing my helix I believe is lacking in, I really don't like the models, through my power amp at least.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I really want to hear it boosted. Someone throw a TC pre, Savage drive, etc. out front and record a demo plz :D

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I really want one I just can’t figure out if it’s because it’s cheap/fun or because I suddenly love Orange’s tone. But for a fun plug & play metal tone? Some of these demos sound reeeeeeal good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It'd be awesome if other tube/boutique manufacturers like Mesa/Boogie or Engl would make some solid state amps based off of their tube models in the same vein as these Orange ones. I can see where a lot of people wouldn't dig it but for the average guitarist who plays in local bands it'd be a great affordable option. I honestly prefer that gritty SS tone for extreme metal over the tube sound and wish there were more like, real solid state amps on the market.

')