New Orange Super Crush amp (Based on the Rockerverb MKIII?)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Well, there it is. Demo probably not exactly in SSO vein, but Dave is good people. He was a massive fan of the original Crush 120, so if that's the first youtuber demo, then it's nice to see.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Man this thing handles low gain tones like a champ, judgng by Dave's and Ade's demos. Wasn't a fan of Ty's demo, but that's probably because he's using the Crush series cab.

laxu

Reaction score
I don't know what you guys were doing wrong with the Katana. I've tried the Artist and briefly the 50 or 100 and it sounded fine for what it is: a cheap (50/100) to moderately (Artist) priced digital amp. I would have no trouble recommending the Katana for home players and beginners, I think it sounds good for multiple styles. But it's not going to trade blows with higher end stuff and I would not expect that from an under 300 euro Katana 50.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
I don't know what you guys were doing wrong with the Katana. I've tried the Artist and briefly the 50 or 100 and it sounded fine for what it is: a cheap (50/100) to moderately (Artist) priced digital amp. I would have no trouble recommending the Katana for home players and beginners, I think it sounds good for multiple styles. But it's not going to trade blows with higher end stuff and I would not expect that from an under 300 euro Katana 50.

There's two tings I suspect are happening here. I don't really like the Katana either, because I'm super used to how my THR100 feels. That makes me think people are used to shit like VST plugins and are expecting those tones from a Katana. Secondly, what a THR or Neural DSP or whatever else give you is a "produced" tone, i.e. speaker cab > mic placement > (optionally) filtering and EQ. What you get from a Katana is just the sound out of the speaker cab. I suppose if people were actively aware of this they'd appreciate the Katana more? IDK, just my thoughts for whatever they're worth...

Bearitone

Reaction score
I dunno, i really like my pair of ampeg ss150s :shrug:

I don’t think those, and this, are really comparable?

One is significantly tighter and more scooped while the other is loose with pronounced mids.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I don’t think those, and this, are really comparable?

One is significantly tighter and more scooped while the other is loose with pronounced mids.
So get an ABY, two volume pedals, and blend them together as needed.

Bearitone

Reaction score
So get an ABY, two volume pedals, and blend them together as needed.
Oh I was just shooting the shit. I’m happy with my Kemper lol.

If I were to pick one though, I would take a boosted CR-120 over any old Ampeg. My VH-140c was massively disappointing when I had it.

akinari

Reaction score
Oh I was just shooting the shit. I’m happy with my Kemper lol.

If I were to pick one though, I would take a boosted CR-120 over any old Ampeg. My VH-140c was massively disappointing when I had it.

You won't believe this Ampeg SS140C's one WEIRD trick to sounding amazing! VH140Cs HATE him!

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Has anyone actually played crush series? Basically garbage so far. 99% of a tube version? Mid-tier modelers get closer.

I've played one of those 8" Orange Crush practice amps, and of course it sucked.

But the band I was in used to gig with a band that was playing a CR120 through Mesa 4x12 and it sounded absolutely huge. Tone-wise I had no idea it wasn't an Orange tube head. It was a sludge / doom band, of course.

I expect that a lot of the people who hate on Orange Crush series are not playing the high wattage head through a 4x12.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I've played one of those 8" Orange Crush practice amps, and of course it sucked.

But the band I was in used to gig with a band that was playing a CR120 through Mesa 4x12 and it sounded absolutely huge. Tone-wise I had no idea it wasn't an Orange tube head. It was a sludge / doom band, of course.

I expect that a lot of the people who hate on Orange Crush series are not playing the high wattage head through a 4x12.

Mmm, maybe. I didn't play it through a 4x12 but it was definitely the combo with a larger speaker, at least a 10" if not a 12". Though I would worry about the speaker quality when a comparable V30 is like 1/2 the price of the amp.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Yeah, since I've gone back to solid state from tube, I'm not going back to tube unless it's for an Orange Rockerverb. As far as sound goes, well... I'll let the snobs be snobs, but I quite enjoy what I get out of my Quilter with various pedals pushing my Mesa 4x12. I'll try one and I'll probably even like it, but as far as Orange goes, I just really want that Rockerverb.
The model of the Rockerverb in the Helix is awesome. You could just get an HX Stomp and incorporate that into your rig.

Latest posts

')