New Peter Jackson film, The Lovely Bones

• Thread starter xXxPriestessxXx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
That seems quite interesting :eek:

....reminds me of Higurashi for some odd reason :lol:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very strangly composed movie, really. It's like... a period based thriller, but then it's interlaced with a surreal What Dreams May Come kinda subplot.

Peter Jackson is a really interesting guy... I mean, you never really know what to expect from him. While King Kong and LotR had some similarities (huge scale epics, overcast skies, etc.)... look at those two movies compared to this or Bad Taste, or even Braindead.

Quite a really chameleon like dude. :cool:

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
It's an adaptation of the semi-famous book by Alice Sebold. My mum bought it to read on holiday years back and I ended up giving it a go when I ran out of other material. It wasn't too bad, probably appeal to the weepy crowd, even though the subject matter is quite dark.

EDIT - Jackson did Heavenly Creatures too so I can see why he'd tackle this one.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Rather looking forward to this movie, and was impressed that this slightly different take of a ghost story is getting as much attention.

Have to agree with folks on their opinions of Peter Jackson being able to pull off quite a number of different budgets and genres of film. I really feel that it's a bit of a shame that he's not going to be the director for "the Hobbit."

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
my favorite is dead alive (also known as braindead as randy mentioned i believe)

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Great director, great cast, and (*gasp*) it hasn't been a movie or a TV show before!!

Looking forward to this. :yesway:

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I really feel that it's a bit of a shame that he's not going to be the director for "the Hobbit."

Sorry for semi-OT, but my understanding is that while he's not directing it, his hands will be all over it. He's still producing, and as you may recall, he technically didn't direct a considerable portion of the LOTR trilogy. There were 5-7 some odd directors on that movie, who were technically listed as 'assistant directors' or some such. One man simply can't do everything on a production with that kind of scale. They were filming 4-5 scenes at 4-5 different locations (sometimes on different islands, even) simultaneously. I imagine the Hobbit, while directed (capably, I assume) by Mr. Del Toro, will still have Jackson's and WETA Workshop's fingerprints all over it. :yesway:

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Sorry for semi-OT, but my understanding is that while he's not directing it, his hands will be all over it. He's still producing, and as you may recall, he technically didn't direct a considerable portion of the LOTR trilogy. There were 5-7 some odd directors on that movie, who were technically listed as 'assistant directors' or some such. One man simply can't do everything on a production with that kind of scale. They were filming 4-5 scenes at 4-5 different locations (sometimes on different islands, even) simultaneously. I imagine the Hobbit, while directed (capably, I assume) by Mr. Del Toro, will still have Jackson's and WETA Workshop's fingerprints all over it. :yesway:

A very good point and again, I must :agreed: .

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Oh man, the reviewers are eating this film alive... May have to wait and netflicks this one. :(

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Oh man, the reviewers are eating this film alive... May have to wait and netflicks this one. :(

Yeah I saw on Metacritic. Empire gave the film 8/10 though, and I usually trust both Empire and the Baltimore Sun, though the latter's review hasn't turned up on MC yet.

x3030150hates

Reaction score
It's a pretty damn good movie. I downloaded it last week. Still gonna go see it in theaters. The Visual effects in it to me, are way better than Avatar. The story was amazing. It was pretty close to the book, too. Definitely recommend it for anyone who is interested.

')