New pickups for Strandberg + ESP LTD MH-1000?

• Thread starter Velokki
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
Hello, good people of SS.org!

I have two pickup-related questions:

FIRST:
I'm thinking of getting new pickups for my Strandberg Boden Original 6.
I really like the guitar. The only thing I don't like 100% are the Nailbomb pickups. I mean, for what they are... they're just what they are. I have Nailbombs in another guitar, and while they're ok and the note definition is nice, I'd still prefer something else here.

Especially on this Strandberg the Nailbombs are quite sterile, icepicky and shrill. They don't breathe, in a way. Sorry, I'm not very good at describing pickups, but I'm searching something that would complement this guitar better.

What would you recommend as alternatives?

SECOND:
I have an ESP LTD MH-1000. It has the 59/JB set in it. I totally love it. But I just tuned it to baritone, and it gets super muddy. It just can't take the low B. Any recommendations for alternatives there, could be very similar to the 59/JB set? I could also just look at replacing the bridge pickup, since I almost always use that. Only time I use the neck are for leads, and they're played on the high register anyway. What would you recommend here?

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
Nailbombs into the Ltd.
jbjazz into the Strandberg.

Done.
Great thinking!
However, would you reckon the Nailbombs would work in the MH-1000? I've found myself not to be a huge fan of the Nailbomb's tone anyways, especially on the strandy. This is probably due to the overall tone of the guitar, of course, so don't know how they would work in the LTD.

Second, the Strandberg had the JB set removed by the previous owner - I have this set as spares. I read in another thread that;
"it's one of the OS models and has the stock seymour duncan pickups (jazz and JB I believe?) and it sounds great unplugged, but plugged in it's pretty god awful sounding. Theres no note definition, very little dynamics regardless of pickup height or amp gain, and is just generally muddy and woofy. I understand that as a result of the guitar being chambered it's going to be a little rounder, more airy, and less strident than a typical solid body. Also in my experience ash guitars tend to be a little scooped and lofty sounding but this is borderline unusable plugged (im exaggerating a little but it sounds like ....) and everybody I work with seems to agree."

I'm quite poised to believe that the OP of that thread was correct. This is because I also read on the some other forum / Youtube video that the first thing a reviewer did to his strandberg was change pickups because they didn't sound too great at all. This makes even more sense by the fact that the previous owner did swap out the pups to the Nailbombs, on this exact guitar!

So I'm really skeptical the JB set would work there.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Great thinking!
However, would you reckon the Nailbombs would work in the MH-1000? I've found myself not to be a huge fan of the Nailbomb's tone anyways, especially on the strandy. This is probably due to the overall tone of the guitar, of course, so don't know how they would work in the LTD.

Second, the Strandberg had the JB set removed by the previous owner - I have this set as spares. I read in another thread that;
"it's one of the OS models and has the stock seymour duncan pickups (jazz and JB I believe?) and it sounds great unplugged, but plugged in it's pretty god awful sounding. Theres no note definition, very little dynamics regardless of pickup height or amp gain, and is just generally muddy and woofy. I understand that as a result of the guitar being chambered it's going to be a little rounder, more airy, and less strident than a typical solid body. Also in my experience ash guitars tend to be a little scooped and lofty sounding but this is borderline unusable plugged (im exaggerating a little but it sounds like ....) and everybody I work with seems to agree."

I'm quite poised to believe that the OP of that thread was correct. This is because I also read on the some other forum / Youtube video that the first thing a reviewer did to his strandberg was change pickups because they didn't sound too great at all. This makes even more sense by the fact that the previous owner did swap out the pups to the Nailbombs, on this exact guitar!

So I'm really skeptical the JB set would work there.

I think the nailbombs will sound fine in the mh drop tuned.

As for the jb/jazz. I dunno. You should at least try it.

I switched mine out. But they were honestly fine. Most people like them just fine. I just only use boutique pickups so they had to go.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
I think the nailbombs will sound fine in the mh drop tuned.

As for the jb/jazz. I dunno. You should at least try it.

I switched mine out. But they were honestly fine. Most people like them just fine. I just only use boutique pickups so they had to go.

Right - what boutique pickups do you use? I was thinking for curiosity's sake, of maybe putting in an Alpha/Omega set. Or something. Recommend anything! =D

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Right - what boutique pickups do you use? I was thinking for curiosity's sake, of maybe putting in an Alpha/Omega set. Or something. Recommend anything! =D

A/o are pretty good.

My boden has aftermaths. Gonna switch them out for fishman classics.

WarPigs and ragnarocks are also good.

When in doubt just use ceramic warpigs.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Give the JB a shot in the OS. If anything, it'll help you pick out another pickup based on what you do/don't like about it.

As for the LTD, you might look at the Distortion or Nazgul for lower tunings. The Distortion is a very similar wind to the JB, but with a thick ceramic magnet for tighter low end and more output/aggression. The Nazgul is like a tweaked Distortion with even tighter low end and an upper mid focus.

MSS

Reaction score
I just got some Guitarmory Atlas pups and they are pretty awesome. I put them in Friday night and have not been able to stop playing them. I ordered the direct mount and they have no legs at all so I had to get longer screws. If you order them, I would recommend getting the “pickup surrounds ” option and then drilling the ears if you have direct mount.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
For downtuned stuff I really like my Lundgrens. I have a black heaven in my detuned guitar, it sounds clear with excellent definition to cords and just sounds massive. How about posting some pictures of the ltd? I’ve been eyeing these.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
If you have the JB/Jazz set, I'd try them. After all, it is free (except for a little time). There are many who like that combo.

Give the JB a shot in the OS. If anything, it'll help you pick out another pickup based on what you do/don't like about it.

As for the LTD, you might look at the Distortion or Nazgul for lower tunings. The Distortion is a very similar wind to the JB, but with a thick ceramic magnet for tighter low end and more output/aggression. The Nazgul is like a tweaked Distortion with even tighter low end and an upper mid focus.

Right, I guess I will test out the JBs, too. I'm just really lazy and don't wanna go back and forth, haha!
Thanks for the recommendatiosn!
For downtuned stuff I really like my Lundgrens. I have a black heaven in my detuned guitar, it sounds clear with excellent definition to cords and just sounds massive. How about posting some pictures of the ltd? I’ve been eyeing these.

Oh shit... Lundgrens! One of my friends is religious about these, and I absolutely love the Lundgren on my M80M. This is a really serious contender!
Here's a pic of my current LTDs, the other already has Fishmans, the blue one is the one in for a pickup change.
13ydqs.jpg

Latest posts