new Pig Destroyer is boring as hell

• Thread starter eggy in a bready
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mwoit

Reaction score
For people who don't know, they've released a new song, Army Of Cops.

I love Pig Destroyer, but even I can't really say this is exciting to me. It's more metal / hardcore than I'd like, and I miss the intense fast riffing, chaotic blast beats and savage screaming from J.

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
Scott needs to quit dicking around with his National Geospace Intelligence Agency bullshit and start bringing the goddamned riffs for us internet metal nerds.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Sadly, I agree. They should have reissued PITY and left it done.

Mwoit

Reaction score
Sadly, I agree. They should have reissued PITY and left it done.

To be frank, I wish they didn't remaster / remix PITY with the modern PD sound. The recent mixes sound thin and plain. There's a savage raw sound in early PD releases that is sorely lacking in the last 2 albums.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
It's one song, chill out.

They've always had riffs like this, just never a full song of them without blast beats in between.

I'm sure the album will kill.

Mwoit

Reaction score
I'm not against the lack of blast beats. It's just a safe single.

owenmakesstuff

Reaction score

They've always had riffs like this, just never a full song of them without blast beats in between.

Yes they have. Loathsome, Ultraviolet,... Every album has at least one no-blastbeat track and Relapse usually posts or does a music video for that track first when it comes to grindcore releases.

I guess I'm not supposed to say this as I love this band and the guys in it, played a gig with them in Belgium in 2013 and they were super cool dudes. But yeah I think they could've done better on these songs (and Book Burner) in every respect really.

Anyone else think JR's lyrics and titles have become a bit stale and uninspired?

We'll wait and see what the entire album sounds like but grindcore as a whole hasn't really gone cool places since the Discordance Axis hype that was building up pre-2010.

eggy in a bready

Reaction score

My issue is not with the lack of blasts lol. My issue is with the hackneyed songwriting

owenmakesstuff

Reaction score
https://www.npr.org/2018/08/30/641382167/first-listen-pig-destroyer-head-cage?t=1536221011994

So I've been giving the new one a couple of listens, but I honestly don't like it too much. There are cool guitar riffs here and there but I feel the songwriting falls flat after those riffs have passed. I couldn't give less about the samples on this one either, PxDx kind of lost their atmosphere for good, which I was afraid would happen after Book Burner.

Does anyone miss the mid 2000's when it comes to grindcore?

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Jarvis sounds kind of like a 80s drum machine and honestly that's kind of awesome

Still listening though but everyone sounds good

Mwoit

Reaction score
Jarvis sounds kind of like a 80s drum machine and honestly that's kind of awesome

Still listening though but everyone sounds good

I have to admit, Jarvis is immense at drums but the way it's mixed makes him sound like the driest drum machine ever! If they were intending on making him sound like a drum machine, good job haha.

I like this release, but it's not my favourite. It's not aggressive enough to be honest.

')