New project guitar

• Thread starter sparky51077
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sparky51077

not so chosen one
Reaction score
I found a good deal on a used 7321 at Guitar Center yesterday.The body looks like they used it to hammer some nails with it, but the neck is perfect and it was cheep($120). I'm planning on building a new body for it with a TOM bridge( I hate the strat type bridge saddles)and a figured top with binding, I'm all so planning on binding the headstock.

What wood do you guys think I should use to make the body? I would like to use something different than the norm, like walnut or wenge. What wood for the top?color? finish? I have a Duncan JB-7 and a 59-7 setting around so a wood that would work well sonically with those pickups would be cool.
I will post pics of the whole process from start to finish.

Is it just me or is the neck profile on the 7321 different from the 7620( I had one back in the day, never should have sold it). The 7321 seems to have thicker and flatter profile with harder shoulders. I will probably re-profile the neck while I'm at it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jarrydn

G'day mate D:
Reaction score
Excellent steal :)

If you want to sell the bridge, contact me...I'm looking for a few parts to re-do my harley benton :p

Also, just curious...what does TOM stand for???

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
have you ever made a body before? Im looking to get one made too I think, a kelly body for a RG7 neck o-O

i_love_tazzus

Out For Lunch
Reaction score
sparky51077 said:
Is it just me or is the neck profile on the 7321 different from the 7620( I had one back in the day, never should have sold it). The 7321 seems to have thicker and flatter profile with harder shoulders. I will probably re-profile the neck while I'm at it.

Yes, it is different. It's the Wizard-II 7 which is a thicker profile than the Wizard 7 that the 7620 has. But if you've spent a good chunk of time on a classical guitar, it isn't hard to play around with. I guess it's also not a problem with me, as I hold the guitar relatively high, kind of like Chris Broderick or Rusty Cooley. I don't shred like them yet... someday. :)

sparky51077

not so chosen one
Reaction score
jarrydn : Also, just curious...what does TOM stand for???

It stands for tune-o-matic like a Les Paul bridge, I might sell the old bridge, I'll let you Know, well see how this project comes along.

NickCormier : have you ever made a body before? Im looking to get one made too I think, a kelly body for a RG7 neck o-O

Yes, I have made a couple 6 string bodys( I'll post a pic when get home from work) a while back, going to have to make some new router templets for 7 string pickups and the neck pocket but thats not to hard. A kelly body would be a huge chunk of wood. Depending how this project goes and how much time I have, I might be interested in taking some orders.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
Cool.. I realized and had the same problem last night, that I cant play standing up with a strat shaped body.. I need a high back end to rest my hand on, or else I cant play standing up well.. and kelly's are hot. Wish there was more shape variety for 7 strings under $500 price range.. theres like nothing =/

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
doesnt help, i still need my arm on something o_O I already wear my guitar super high anyways hehe

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
NickCormier said:
doesnt help, i still need my arm on something o_O I already wear my guitar super high anyways hehe
Chest rocker here too man :hbang:

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
NickCormier said:
Wish there was more shape variety for 7 strings under $500 price range.. theres like nothing =/
I agree that there needs to be more body styles for 7s. I'm getting tired of the strat/super strat shape. That was why I built this about 6 years ago. It is now long gone. :(

RR7.gif

I wish I had some better pics of it.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Donnie said:
I agree that there needs to be more body styles for 7s. I'm getting tired of the strat/super strat shape. That was why I built this about 6 years ago. It is now long gone. :(

RR7.gif

I wish I had some better pics of it.

Damn, that's cool. I love the neck joint meeting at the 24th fret. Now if it was a neck through and the neck under all the frets was the same thickness it would be the ultimate player... ie no heel or joint to get in the way.

Seven

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe you should consider doing a Reb Beach style guitar with the really exotic Koa, I think a TZ7 and AN7 would be a nice combination in there.

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
technomancer said:
Damn, that's cool. I love the neck joint meeting at the 24th fret.
Thanks. At the time I had a old Ibanez PL1660 V and I pretty much just used the same body demensions. That thing was a tank. All mahogany. :yesway:

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
sparky51077 said:
This is the first guitar body that I built about 7 years ago.

custom-1.gif

custom-5.gif

custom-4.gif

custom-3.gif

custom-2.gif

is that dual output
is so...why

EDIT: nevermind...i just realized that was an overhead veiw of the strap button

Latest posts

')