New project :: P.E.N.G - Piezo Electric Nylon Guitar - Warning: experiments ahead!

helferlain

D.I.Y. autodidact
Reaction score
Dear ss.org users, interested in guitar builds!

I've started a new project. Still far away from cutting any wood, the idea is evolving.

This are the specs I'm working with:

- piezo electric only
- nylon strings
- 27" scale
- 25 frets for at least 2 halfsteps downtuning, using a capo for standard tuning
- bolt on neck through
- reverse neck (semi-headless, because there is a headstock placed behind the bridge
- standard nylon tuners
- chambered body with many ergonomic bevels and shapings

If the body shape works out I will build the same with a standard neck and pu's

Here's the sketching so far. Feel free to assist me with your mockups of that idea:

HeadlessSilent06d.png

For the history of that idea go to my blog, linked in my signature...

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vansinn

Reaction score
Quite interesting, will follow this, bring more pics! :)

XxJoshxX

Djentleman
Reaction score
You beat me to it. I've been wanting to build a nylon with piezos.

tommychains

That Guy
Reaction score
+1 for originality, how exactly would the piezo bridge work with nylon strings? I'm not familiar with nylon strings, nor do I have any experience working with these types of guitars.

Edit: 500th post! Whoop whoop!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I like this project. And this may be saying more about me than the design, but that headstock hardware tucked into the body cavity looks like a scary mechanical vagina, and is freaking me the eff out.

helferlain

D.I.Y. autodidact
Reaction score
I like this project. And this may be saying more about me than the design, but that headstock hardware tucked into the body cavity looks like a scary mechanical vagina, and is freaking me the eff out.

1. whatever you consume, stop it!
if this doesn't help
2. stop visiting dirty websites

:cool:

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
Looks like a really cool project. I know one thing for certain, I'm going to make one of those nylastrats.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
My only recommendation (I have a nylon 7 with a piezo bridge) is to be careful of the method you use to "tie" your strings to the guitar. sliiiightly sharp edges or bends will cause yur high strings to break much more often that you imagine.

Also, 27" might be a bit too much for the higher strings, depending on the brand of strings you use.

What piezo system will you use?

helferlain

D.I.Y. autodidact
Reaction score
The 27" is intended for lower tunings. The string tension should match standard guitars.

I bought a cheap piezo preamp from chinese ebay.

helferlain

D.I.Y. autodidact
Reaction score
I've been working on the design of the body shape around the headstock.
Straight lines would be easier to route, so the right version is my favourite at the moment.

HeadlessSilent07d.png

The dark square on the right site is the location for the piezo preamp with integrated tuner:
Guitar 4-Band Preamp JOYO JE-305 EQ Tuner Pickup

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
The right one definitely makes more sense, as it will also give you a bit more room to fit the tuners since the curves of the left one make the space a bit narrower. Though I'm wondering if you even need these areas:

herp_zpsaff70904.png

Seems like it would just create more work for no real gain, unless you want it aesthetically.

Negav

Reaction score
The right one definitely makes more sense, as it will also give you a bit more room to fit the tuners since the curves of the left one make the space a bit narrower. Though I'm wondering if you even need these areas:

herp_zpsaff70904.png

Seems like it would just create more work for no real gain, unless you want it aesthetically.

What if instead of using clasical guitar tuners you use banjo tuners which you can install from behind instead of having to make those cuts?

')