New Rack Setup

• Thread starter Floody_85
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Floody_85

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just after a bit of help. I've just started ordering gear for my new rack setup. So far I've ordered a g major 2 and a sonic maximizer. I've got a power conditioner on hold as well. just wondering what else I should be looking at. I'm definately going to grab an eq and a tuner. do I need a compressor or noise gate or will the g major take care of that?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Milo

Reaction score
The G Major 2 does have a noise gate and a compressor but its going through your FX loop... I assume. So they aren't thaaat effective. Its really up to your style of music and playing if you see fit to have them.

Floody_85

Reaction score
The G Major 2 does have a noise gate and a compressor but its going through your FX loop... I assume. So they aren't thaaat effective. Its really up to your style of music and playing if you see fit to have them.
I've never really used one before tbh so I'm not sure if I need one or not. I play mostly metal and prog.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you making an effects only rack, or is your whole rig going to be rack based?

What kind of tones are you chasing as well? There's all kinds of fun stuff to throw in racks, but if you don't need half of it, why spend the dough?

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just after a bit of help. I've just started ordering gear for my new rack setup. So far I've ordered a g major 2 and a sonic maximizer. I've got a power conditioner on hold as well. just wondering what else I should be looking at. I'm definately going to grab an eq and a tuner. do I need a compressor or noise gate or will the g major take care of that?

I'd snag a isp decimator,dbx compressor,and possibly a line 6 g90 wireless. what else are you running thru mate? Any amp or pre amp in this chain will benefit from the dbx and isp the quality of these is unaproachable Imho.

Floody_85

Reaction score
Just effects based for now. I only just bought a bugera 6262 head last yr so ill use that for now. My tone changes a lot. I really love petruccis tone. also love opeths clean tones with all the effects. I think a decimator may be out of my price range. I've been looking around for one but they seem a bit expensive for me at the moment

Floody_85

Reaction score
I just got my new Sonic Maximizer..Man this thing is great. I always loved the sound of my bugera 6262 but adding the maximizer it sounds WAAYYYYY better!! Still waiting for my g major to arrive.

I was looking at rack cases, but being a cabinet maker, ive decided to make my own rack. Its gonna house my head as well as the rack effects. Im prob going to make it 8u. Can anyone tell me std dimensions for an 8u case? I know its obviously 19" wide but im really looking for how deep to make it

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
I just got my new Sonic Maximizer..Man this thing is great. I always loved the sound of my bugera 6262 but adding the maximizer it sounds WAAYYYYY better!! Still waiting for my g major to arrive.

I was looking at rack cases, but being a cabinet maker, ive decided to make my own rack. Its gonna house my head as well as the rack effects. Im prob going to make it 8u. Can anyone tell me std dimensions for an 8u case? I know its obviously 19" wide but im really looking for how deep to make it

Maximisers sound great, but I guarantee live you'll lose clarity in the mix. Sell the maximiser and put it towards the Decimator.

I always felt that If I used a rack setup it would have the following.

Power Conditioner
Line6 G90 Wireless
FX unit (AxeFX or GMajor 2)
Noise Gate (either an ISP ProRack G or a G-string)
TS808 and any other pedals I wanted on a drawer.
Voodoo Labs GCX for amp switching.

Floody_85

Reaction score
I won't have any worries with that cos I don't play live. It's just for personal enjoyment and recording.

Im looking into a used rocktron hush at the moment. how do they rate compared to a decimator

book_of_lies777

Reaction score
how about an equalizer? Incredible tone-shaping possibilities...

I'm kinda thinking along the same lines as you - I've got my GSP1101 rack preamp/processor(going thru (2) Samson 400w auroD412 12" powered speakers)... and nothing else. LOL I'm thinking a compressor and an EQ to fill out my rack.

Floody_85

Reaction score
Yea Ive got a couple of dbx eq's that I'm looking at. Hopefully I get one of them and the hush. then ill grab a tuner and that shoukd do for now

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
The Decimator was designed by the guy who designed the Hush when he started his own company.

To be honest you're better off with a Boss NS-2 in X mode then the Hush.

Floody_85

Reaction score
Really? I'll have to look into that. I've read somewhere else about x pattern. don't really know what it is.

a few places I've read say that isp, hush and the likes are only really needed if playing live, and that u don't really notice a difference if ur up close to the speaker. is this true? I never play live so it may be wasted on me

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
x pattern is: guitar > noise gate > fx > amp in > loop send > noise gate > fx > loop return

Floody_85

Reaction score
Pretty much finished building my new rack case. Just gotta throw the rails in. Im still waiting for my tuner, hush and g major. Ive just got the maximizer and eq sitting it the rack at the moment. Hopefully get the rails in during the week.

Heres a few pics.
IMAG0453.jpg

IMAG0454.jpg

IMAG0452.jpg

IMAG0456.jpg

It came up pretty good. The guitar in the last pic is a custom Baritone that I made a month or so ago. Sounds really good thru this setup.

Sorry for crappy phone pics lol

')